Using (old) Mac SCSI drives on PC hardware (w/Linux)

Using (old) Mac SCSI drives on PC hardware (w/Linux)

Post by David Huggi » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone know if this is possible?  I have an old 80MB Quantum from a
Mac - the SCSI BIOS recognizes it (after a very long spin-up sequence)
but the kernel usually doesn't, and when it does, it spits out a bunch
of error messages regarding the drive's geometry.  It's possible that
the drive itself is broken, but I don't have a Mac to test it with!

I'm using kernel 2.0.32, and Symbios 53c810 and 53c875 SCSI adapters
with the BSD driver.

I remember seeing that there was support for Macintosh partition tables
in the later 2.1 kernels (though I had a lot of difficulty compiling
them) - does this work?

--
David Huggins-Daines

http://aix2.uottawa.ca/~s1204672

Post by Sanat Kumar » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Does anyone know if this is possible?  I have an old 80MB Quantum from a
> Mac - the SCSI BIOS recognizes it (after a very long spin-up sequence)
> but the kernel usually doesn't, and when it does, it spits out a bunch
> of error messages regarding the drive's geometry.  It's possible that
> the drive itself is broken, but I don't have a Mac to test it with!

Go and do fdisk on it and create any linux partition(s) you wish on it.
Then do mkfs to put a linux filesystem on it.

I have used an old 80 Quantum myself from an old Mac, and now have an
old 180 as my root filesystem.

Hope this answers your question.

Sanat

Post by Bob » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>Does anyone know if this is possible?  I have an old 80MB Quantum from a
>Mac - the SCSI BIOS recognizes it (after a very long spin-up sequence)
>but the kernel usually doesn't, and when it does, it spits out a bunch
>of error messages regarding the drive's geometry.  It's possible that
>the drive itself is broken, but I don't have a Mac to test it with!

I've moved SCSI drives from Macs just fine. The problem was always putting a
generic SCSI drive on a Mac due to their weird "formatter" requirements. Are
you sure it's terminated properly? If it's the only drive, there should
typically be a terminator (or set of plug-in equivalents) on the drive, and
the host adapter itself terminated (assuming there are no other devices on
the chain.)

Can you low-level format it? That's commonly required if you move to a new
host adapter.

Hope this helps!

- Bob

Post by Eric Y. Cha » Sun, 18 Jan 1998 04:00:00

: Does anyone know if this is possible?  I have an old 80MB Quantum from a
: Mac - the SCSI BIOS recognizes it (after a very long spin-up sequence)
: but the kernel usually doesn't, and when it does, it spits out a bunch
: of error messages regarding the drive's geometry.  It's possible that
: the drive itself is broken, but I don't have a Mac to test it with!

Hi David.  Please post the messages.  What kind of problem do
you have?  Is the kernel recognizing the drive and labelling it
as, say, /dev/sdb.  If not, you have a hardware problem.  Without
a boot message printout, it is hard to second guess your problem.
If the disk is recognized, but cannot be mounted, that is another
problem entirely, and the solution is a new partition and filesystem.
For the hardware problem, I have solved these.  I can help you if
you post the boot messages.

Eric

Post by Dick Repas » Tue, 20 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>Does anyone know if this is possible?  I have an old 80MB Quantum from a
>Mac - the SCSI BIOS recognizes it (after a very long spin-up sequence)
>but the kernel usually doesn't, and when it does, it spits out a bunch
>of error messages regarding the drive's geometry.  It's possible that
>the drive itself is broken, but I don't have a Mac to test it with!

>I'm using kernel 2.0.32, and Symbios 53c810 and 53c875 SCSI adapters
>with the BSD driver.

>I remember seeing that there was support for Macintosh partition tables
>in the later 2.1 kernels (though I had a lot of difficulty compiling
>them) - does this work?

It should work.  I just mounted up a Mac drive that was a quantum
lps pro 240 MB that I bought from a friend.  It worked the first
time.  I was running kernel 2.0.30 and a buslogic 946c controller.

I'm afraid that I have no idea how to figure out what might
be wrong with your setup.

Dick

1. I would like to know for *really* old PCs (was: Starting UNIX using old PCs)

the number one thing that you would learn on a machine of that class running
 any unix is patience, especially if you want to program, I have a 386sx with 4
 megs, used mostly as a print server now, but when I compile things on it, I
 measure compiles in hours, e.g. a kernel compile took 18+ hours, that same
 compile is 20 minutes on my 486dx4 133 w/20 megs....

2. CONFIG_ALPHA_PC164 compilation fix

3. Mac Laptop SCSI drive into PC with Linux

4. MultiPort SIO card

5. Uses for Old PC hardware?

6. 3com ethernetcard problems

7. Help with old freeswan and old linux on old hardware.

8. setuid scripts in perl

9. help: fstab, mac/msdos floppies, and mac/pc scsi harddrives

10. How do I install Linux in an old IDE 540Mb drive that uses Ez-drive?

11. Sale!! SCSI Drives, & Software, PC, MAC

12. Old 14.4 Mac modem on PC (I have a winmodem, want to use modem under Linux)

13. Help a Mac guy get Linux PC hardware!