Is this system Linux-friendly?

Post by Destri » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Greetings.

I will be assembling a new computer in a few weeks time and I would
appreciate if somebody would look through my list of parts and check if any
won't work in Linux. I'll install Debian 2.0 with the 2.0.34 kernel first,
and then upgrade to 2.2.1. XFree86 3.3.3 too. So I need to be able to at
least use the console before downloaded the new stuff.

Okay, here's the specs:

Intel P-II 400 MHz CPU
DFI P2XBL Mainboard
64 MB 100 MHz SDRAM (may upgrade to 128)

Seagate 12.7 GB harddrive (or anything above 10 GB)

Matrox Millenium G200 graphics accelerator
Creative PCI 64 sound card

Some reasonably-priced CD-ROM (brand suggestions, anyone?)

Ditto for floppy disk drive.

Philips 17"/107E monitor

Yup, that's about it. I've looked through the web for information regarding
these items, and tried to make sure all of them can work in Linux
(hopefully without any commercial software, although OSS/Linux is still
within my budget), but I'd like to get a confirmation.

TIA...

--
+-------------------+--<Linux>--<Debian>--<Emacs>--<GNU>--<BMS>-----------+
| Destrius Dragon   | -=*[UnSPLUT!]*=-                                    |

+-------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
| "Am I dreaming of a butterfly, or is the butterfly dreaming of me...?"  |
+--<INFP>-------------------------------------------------<SG: +8 GMT>----+

1. a new system...linux friendly?

<snip>

I just read the following note on the Linux kernel List the other day.
It
cautions against combining certain Maxtor/WDC UDMA drives!

"I am using you problem as the example for the world, You need to split
the
Maxtor WDC pair before you corrupt your FS!!!!

Everyone this is the classic case stated many times but no examples.
This
one is different in that irq's are lost only and FS is not destroyed.
Since the
ASIC timing modes on the Maxtor are better than that of the WDC, and it
is the faster drive, the error is minor.

This is only because the order is Maxtor then WDC. If the order was
reversed WDC the Maxtor, you would watch the two destroy each other.
One should never mix a UDMA Maxtor with DMA WDC, the chatter of
the timings will kill."

--
Prasanth Kumar

2. Canon BJC 620

3. I am looking for IDE for Linux Developement System.

4. *** CUT & PASTE into vi? I CAN"T!!! ***

5. i am going to setup linux operating system

6. Emacs won't start without X

7. System-friendly busy-waiting (in X)? (HELP?!)

8. Mitsumi Triple Speed

9. User Friendly system-administration env

10. Figurine 0.0.0 - user-friendly configuration system

11. GTK+ and system friendly wait/sleep

12. Linux-friendly UPS

13. Linux-friendly ISP for e-mail