Problems with external USB disk

Post by M?ns Rullg?r » Sat, 20 May 2006 06:20:03

> Hi everybody.

> I have an annoying problem with an external USB drive (a Lacie 160GB
> USB 2.0, formatted in fat32), with kernel 2.6.12-9-k7.

That kernel is getting quite old.  You should try a newer version.

Quote:> The following actions works fine:
> - plugging in / mounting
> - copying any files from PC to disk;
> - copying very small files from disk to PC;

> Otherwise, this action hangs and aborts, and I have to unplug the disk
> and remount it:
> - copying a big file from usb disk to PC.

I've had that kind of problems a long time ago, but they've all gone away.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

Problems with external USB disk

Post by capt_mulc » Mon, 22 May 2006 05:22:47

Format the drive as ext3, put an ext3 driver on windows.

www.fs-driver.org/
uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.htm

Post by Andre » Mon, 22 May 2006 20:33:35

> Format the drive as ext3, put an ext3 driver on windows.

I can't do it: I use that disk to share files between
linux/windows/mac. Probably I have to change kernel, but I don't know
how to do it under Ubuntu. Apprently it doesn't have other kernels in
repositories.

Bye,
Andrea

Problems with external USB disk

Post by capt_mulc » Wed, 24 May 2006 04:41:03

If you download and install the driver (a simple .exe install) you CAN
share it between systems. I do it all the time.

Mulch

1. External Disk VS External Disk Enclosure

Hello.
I am interested in a portable solution for transporting data.
I have done some research but did not conclude to which is better.

I like the enclosures better because i have some 80gb and 20gb drives
which i can use. I don't need 120GB or 250GB that the drives come.

I have read many posts that say all the enclosures use a ide<->firewire
and ide<->usb 2.0 bridge and that there is no native usb/firewire drive.
Some posts mentioned that the Oxford 911 chipset is not good with ATAPI
optical drives (cannot do UDMA) but i don't care since i am not thinking
about carrying my DVD+RW drive, but all who used hard disk drives
recommended the Oxford 911 chipset.
(For example i give the Kingwin KH-350-UF-S
http://www.kingwin.com/pdut_detail.asp?LineID=&CateID=27&ID=183 )

The external disks i have seen are

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=49
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=79

I couldn't find anywhere if they are native usb/firewire or they use a
bridge. I guess they use a bridge.

What do you think is better ?
Also, i am worried if an aluminum enclosure can dissipate the heat
by itself without a fan, or should i get the 5.25" drive which
has a fan also.

Thank you for your time.

2. SATAN error on RH Linux

3. external USB disk / sol8 / sparc

4. user-name access from CGI script

5. Help: Can't Mount External USB Disk

6. Dumb terminals >9600baud

7. External USB Disk with RedHat 9.0

8. Physical Development Site?

9. Can't use my external USB hard disk

10. Need suggestions for a USB external hard disk

11. hard disk encryption with external (USB ?) key

12. USB external box for ide hard disks

13. how to add external hard disk through usb port