Does it matter how you mount new(er) IDE and SCSI hard drives?

Post by Jonathan Bigga » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I'm wondering if it matters which way you mount an IDE or SCSI hard
> drive these days. I've seen them mounted electronics side up, down,
> and on either side.

> As I'm building a linux box to use as a router at my home which will
> be on 24/7, I don't want to artificially shorten the life of my hard
> drives. ;)

The datasheet that comes with your hard drive (or on the drive
manufacturers web site) should have explicit mounting recommendations.

--
Jon Biggar
Floorboard Software

Does it matter how you mount new(er) IDE and SCSI hard drives?

Post by Mike Zelesk » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

With a 7200 Rpm drive with it's additional warmth, it is not a
good idea to install one upside down as it will heat soak the PCB
every time it is shut down.

Yes; You can do it, in fact I often park a upside down drive by the
system while transfering files, but I don't do it that way very long.

There are no other considerations, as the head alignment nor spindle
bearings are affected by it's installed position...

Post by m.. » Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>> I'm wondering if it matters which way you mount an IDE or SCSI hard
>> drive these days. I've seen them mounted electronics side up, down,
>> and on either side.

I've had drives where the electronic (PCB) was on the *TOP*.
Quote:

>> As I'm building a linux box to use as a router at my home which will
>> be on 24/7, I don't want to artificially shorten the life of my hard
>> drives. ;)
> The datasheet that comes with your hard drive (or on the drive
> manufacturers web site) should have explicit mounting recommendations.

1. Q: Mounting DOS Hard Drive (SCSI) on Solaris SPARC

Can this be done ?
How ?

mount -F /pcfs /dev/dsk/<blah> /mnt
... fails saying there is no such device
(despite the boot -r creating it and the light on
 the drive light blinking when the mount is attempted).

I'm using Solaris 2.4 SPARC, and the disks are 340MB,
removable, DOS-formatted hard-drives (on SCSI).  They
must remain DOS formatted.

Do I need a patch or have I forgotten something ?

Thanks,

Matt

2. Perl-CGI under Netscape Enterprise 3.6 does not run!!

3. Choosing a new hard drive (SCSI or IDE)

4. Linux 2.4.20 - Bunch of EXT2-fs error

5. HELP:2 IDE dos drives + 1 SCSI linux drive + LILO

6. Problem with cat after update from 4.2 to 4.3

7. Large IDE Hard Drive as a Second Hard Drive

8. What am I doing wrong that I can't remote print to BSD?

9. Disk Druid , mount hard drive, partitioning hard drive

10. Replaced scsi hard drive can no longer find scsi tape drive

11. Linux + DOS + Second IDE hard drive

12. SCSI and IDE Drives - can't detect IDE drives

13. Mounting/adding DOS Hard Drive