HELP: Serial Mouse --> PS/2 mouse

Post by Marie-France Toup » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I'm running Slackware 3.2 (kernel 2.0.29) that was initially
configured to be used with a serial mouse.

But now, I need to free /dev/ttyS0 to use my digital camera!
I also have a PS/2 intellimouse that I'm not currently using!

Thus what do I have to do to switch the serial mouse for the PS/2 mouse?
Is it enough to just recreate the soft link for /dev/mouse or
do I have to reconfigure X?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks !

HELP: Serial Mouse --> PS/2 mouse

Post by **Nick Brow » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Run XF86Setup and follow the mouse setup, which will let you configure
the Intellimouse as itself, not a 2-button clone.  The PS/2 port is
called /dev/psaux - make sure it is available in your kernel.

> Thus what do I have to do to switch the serial mouse for the PS/2 mouse?
> Is it enough to just recreate the soft link for /dev/mouse or
> do I have to reconfigure X?

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)fr)

Protect yourself against Word 95/97 viruses, free - check out
 http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1446/atlas-t.html

HELP: Serial Mouse --> PS/2 mouse

Post by Jim Howe » Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Thus what do I have to do to switch the serial mouse for the PS/2 mouse?
>Is it enough to just recreate the soft link for /dev/mouse or
>do I have to reconfigure X?

At the most basic level, edit /etc/XF86Config (or wherever RedHat
hides it), find the

Section "Pointer"

Change the protocol lines and device lines to:

        Protocol "ps/2"
        Device "/dev/psaux"

Remember that the psaux driver is probably not configured by default,
you may have to either compile it in, or load the psaux module.
(Being a 'compile it in' junkie, I don't have a psaux.o)

You won't see psaux in the /proc/misc file unless it's actually in
use.

Regards,
Jim

1. gpm: PS/2 mouse and serial mouse

Hi all,

I would like to know how to check under Linux if there's an external
serial mouse attached (I have a notebook). Normally I would like to set
up my touch pad (PS/2) (is this possible with gpm?), but if there's an
external mouse available I would prefer using it instead.

Thanks in advance,

Achie

2. Debugger question: Child process

3. PS/2 Mouse erratic, Serial Mouse OK. Why?

4. Help with Au file please

5. change from Serial mouse to PS/2 mouse

6. Troubles setting up bootpd

7. Using a Serial mouse when a PS/2 mouse port exists in the system

8. Background (desktop) color in Xfree/fvwm (Yggdrasil Fall '93)

9. Serial mouse is detected as PS/2 mouse

10. Changing PS/2 mouse to serial mouse

11. Installed with PS/2 mouse but changed to serial mouse

12. Moving from PS/2 mouse to serial mouse

13. Mouse ps/2 => serial ?