Dell Inspiron 7500 N/book problems

Post by John Leishma » Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:50:48

Installed RedHat9 at which time network PCMCIA 100mb Card worked a treat -
then up2date--  50Mg later of X evvery thing which I presume installs of
itself;
Hardware Browse can see DVD-CDR and LS-120 A drive but neither will eject,
A wont read write, CD wont allow copy....... but can read - no idea why
here, newbe <gulp shock horror > sorry.

Any links to FAQs or ideas much appreciated.

Cheers
john

Post by Rick Moe » Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:08:20

> Installed RedHat9 at which time network PCMCIA 100mb Card worked a treat -
> then up2date--  50Mg later of X evvery thing which I presume installs of
> itself;
> Hardware Browse can see DVD-CDR and LS-120 A drive but neither will eject,
> A wont read write, CD wont allow copy....... but can read - no idea why
> here, newbe <gulp shock horror > sorry.

> Any links to FAQs or ideas much appreciated.

Coincidentally, I happen to have recently posted a guide to Linux on the
Inspiron 7000, your model's kin.  However, my Inspiron has neither a DVD
drive nor an LS-120, so it probably won't be relevant to your immediate
problem.  Still, just in case you're curious:

http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/inspiron7000.html

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                      Linux for Intel:  Party like it's 2037!

Dell Inspiron 7500 N/book problems

Post by John Leishma » Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:37:33

Quote:> Coincidentally, I happen to have recently posted a guide to Linux on the
> Inspiron 7000, your model's kin.  However, my Inspiron has neither a DVD
> drive nor an LS-120, so it probably won't be relevant to your immediate
> problem.  Still, just in case you're curious:

> http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/inspiron7000.html

Thanks for that. Appears RH 9 and patches via up2date have in the main
recognized most of the bits. However,
error kio_devices_mounthelper; cant load superblock
when attempting to mount the LS120 drive...

The lan, pcmcia card, looks ok, switch lights indicate it's talking but
try to browse to the desk top machine on the other end and;

Klauncher said Error loading kio_lan

Stuggling here, any ideas?

Post by Rick Moe » Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:38:44

>> Coincidentally, I happen to have recently posted a guide to Linux on the
>> Inspiron 7000, your model's kin.  However, my Inspiron has neither a DVD
>> drive nor an LS-120, so it probably won't be relevant to your immediate
>> problem.  Still, just in case you're curious:

>> http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/inspiron7000.html

> Thanks for that. Appears RH 9 and patches via up2date have in the main
> recognized most of the bits. However,
> error kio_devices_mounthelper; cant load superblock
> when attempting to mount the LS120 drive...

> The lan, pcmcia card, looks ok, switch lights indicate it's talking but
> try to browse to the desk top machine on the other end and;

> Klauncher said Error loading kio_lan

> Stuggling here, any ideas?

1.  So, admittedly I didn't technically say "I'm not the right person to
ask, having not used the hardware you're talking about", but I certainly
implied it, and here you are, asking _specifically me_ for help.
There's something peculiar, there.

2.  A problem with your general approach:  You're trying to use strictly
high-level, abstract tools -- ones many layers of software away from
your hardware -- which give almost nil debugging information, and
expecting people to somehow hand you a solution out of nowhere.  As
you're likely to find out for yourself, that almost never works.

You should be posting things like:  relevant excerpts from
/var/log/messages and /var/log/dmesg , relevant excerpts from "lsmod"
(e.g., do you have the ide-floppy driver loaded?), exactly what manual
"mount" command you use instead of relying on the KDE automounter doing
the right thing (which may not be the case[1]), etc.

If you want to get help, you need to supply meaningful information.

Oh, and by the way:
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Essays/smart-questions.html

[1] In fact, you should halt that process temporarily, lest it interfere
with diagnosis.

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!

Dell Inspiron 7500 N/book problems

Post by John Leishma » Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:41:55

ick,
NOW I understand why Linux has had such a time getting critical mass. Plus
why you use a linux mafia domain. Hey I'll go away and find out else where
so if and when I have some answers I'll not give the flip to self admitted
newbies but explain the what well may be simply stuff.
Thanks for the education.

Post by Rick Moe » Wed, 01 Sep 2004 03:46:10

> ick,

Name-calling or typo?

Quote:> NOW I understand why Linux has had such a time getting critical mass. Plus
> why you use a linux mafia domain.

Ah, name-calling.

Quote:> Hey I'll go away and find out else where  so if and when I have some
> answers I'll not give the flip to self admitted  newbies but explain
> the what well may be simply stuff.  Thanks for the education.

I was of course not "giving you the flip", but rather spending time
giving you careful -- and, I might add, expert and seasoned -- advice on
how to better seek help from the technical community so as to get
meaningful results quickly and not waste your and other people's time.
This subject is one that has been under intense study for well over a
decade, and the document I referred you to for information happens to be
one of the main reference works on the subject.

One of the recurring social problems of the Linux community is our
encounters with people who, like you, value only at cost anything they
receive for free.  But, momentarily unpleasant though such encounters
may be, we write off the waste of time and turn to helping others who
lack your attitude problem and accept valuable feedback in the spirit
intended.

Anyway, good luck to you.  You'll need it.

--
Cheers,                                     The Viking's Reminder:
Rick Moen                                   Pillage first, _then_ burn.

Dell Inspiron 7500 N/book problems

Post by John Leishma » Sat, 04 Sep 2004 10:50:46

Do you ever read what you write Rick, an answer could take 6 words, you've
written paras of self justification.
And I'M the fool.....
I give lots of help to others Rick, in areas I' knowledgable in and for
free, stop the finger pointing.
Please just go away.

Post by Rick Moe » Thu, 09 Sep 2004 10:00:47

> Do you ever read what you write Rick, an answer could take 6 words, you've
> written paras of self justification.
> And I'M the fool.....

If you say so.

Quote:> I give lots of help to others Rick, in areas I' knowledgable in and
> for free, stop the finger pointing.  Please just go away.

Friend, I've been posting here approximately since creation of this
newsgroup, and am just not likely to leave.  On the other hand, if
you're having problems figuring out your newsreader's filters, I'd be
glad to help you on comp.os.linux.misc.  (Except, oops, you'd need to be
running Linux, rather than Opera on Win32.)

Anyhow, as I was saying, good luck.  You're going to need it.

--
Cheers,                    Facta tua Restitueri ad Status Pristinus Eius.
Rick Moen                       (May your data be restored to

1. ATI Rage Mobility-P on Dell Inspiron 7500 Problems

Hi,
  I cannot manage to get X running on a new Dell Inspiron
7500 with the Rage Mobility P chipset.  The ATI has 8 mb
video ram and the screen is supposed to be able to go to
1280 x 1024 [can do this in win98].

  Does anyone have any specific information on this
problem?  Is there a solution short of just waiting for the
support to come out?  I think I have the latest Mach64 x
server.

TIA,

Bob Hartung

2. A 2+ player game that's efficient over a modem?

3. DELL Inspiron 7500 / RH6.1 / 3COM 3C589 Problems

4. Performace: RH7.1 and KDE2.1.2

5. Dell Inspiron 7500 and Corel Linux -HELP

6. One simple question

7. newbie type advice questions... re: installing RH7.2 on Dell INSPIRON 7500 laptop

8. sound problems

9. Can Linux handle Dell Inspiron 7500 SXGA+ (1400x1050)?

10. System Freeze: Dell Inspiron 7500

11. DELL inspiron 7500 650 YT ?

12. ATI Rage Mobility-AGP2x on Dell 7500 (Inspiron) Redhat Linux v7.x...

13. XF86Config for Dell Inspiron 7500?