Epson Stylus Color 400 Problems

Post by Neil Shallcros » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello

I am new to Linux having recently purchased the Suse Linux Office Suite
99.

The basix linux OS is Suse 5.3. I have a Epson Stylus Color 400, I am
unable to get anything other than rubbish out of it, loads of ascii
chracters rather than text.

Has anyone had similar problems, if so please tell me the work around or
is there a driver file available for this printer?

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Neil Shallcross

Epson Stylus Color 400 Problems

Post by toorffe » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Neil;

        As far as I know, there is no working driver for the 400.  To be sure,
check the SuSE web site and access the hardware database.

        The Ghostscript home page has some links to Epson Stylus Color drivers
and info.  These might be a good resource as well.

        I have found it necessary to check the compatibility lists for *all*
hardware purchases.  It saves so much hassle.

        Good Luck,
        Jeff Root

Post by Pierre Asseli » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I am new to Linux having recently purchased the Suse Linux Office Suite
> 99.

> The basix linux OS is Suse 5.3. I have a Epson Stylus Color 400, I am
> unable to get anything other than rubbish out of it, loads of ascii
> chracters rather than text.

I don't know how Office Suite works, but I remember reports from
comp.periphs.printers that ghostscript 5.x works with the Epson 400.
Use the Uniprint driver and use the .upp files for the Epson 600 (except
don't try to print at 1440x720).

I'm sure there is a way to use ghostscript as a print filter, because
I've done it on my DEC alpha with very little hacking.  There might
even be a HOWTO about it.  You can then type `lpr file.ps' and your
system behaves as if the Epson 400 were a slow PostScript printer.
If you can get that far, try telling Office Suite that you have a PS
printer...

1. Printer Problem: Epson Colour Stylus 400

My Printer, Epson Colour Stylus 400 on Parallel port, has a problem with
printing with the black cartridge. The Colour is fine and both are OK on
the WinDowZZ.

Am using SuSE 7.1 on Thunderbird 800.

Thanks

Leo

2. Anyone Port Magic to Linux yet???

3. EPSON Colour Stylus 400 problem

4. vinum

5. Printing with an Epson Stylus Color 400

6. typo

7. EPSON Stylus Color 400 Drivers

8. ATI TV & bttv

9. Epson Stylus Color 400 & SO5.0

10. EPSON Stylus Color 400

11. Epson Stylus Color 400 printer installation

12. Epson Stylus Color 400 and Ghostscript Uniprint

13. ghostscript printing of files to Epson Stylus Colour 400