Installing 2 CD-ROMS, IDE sony CDU76E and sony CDU31a

Installing 2 CD-ROMS, IDE sony CDU76E and sony CDU31a

Post by David Smi » Fri, 26 May 1995 04:00:00

I'm trying to install a new IDE cdrom into my linux system.
I just bought a 4x spin sony CDU 76E.  It has an IDE/ATAPI
interface.  Since I was running linux 1.1.59, which doesn't
have the IDE CD drivers built in, I decided now would be a
good time to install the latest Slackware release.  I
already had a sony CDU 31a installed, and figured I could
get both drives running.  Well, after having saved my
important files, I reformatted the drive and installed off of the
new sony cdu 76E.  When I got things up and running, I recompiled
the kernel, adding the 31a support.  I restarted, and the 76E
works fine, but I didn't see anything about the 31a.  So I looked
at the CDROM-HOWTO faq and it seemed to say I needed to add
this line to the end of lilo.conf:

  append="cdu31a=0x1f88,0,PAS"

I went ahead and did this, but still, no dice.  Don't see any
messages at all about looking for a cdrom or whatever.  I know
that I have compiled in the driver, as well as the sound driver.
I don't know if it matters, but my PAS sound is set to an invalid
IRQ.  This shouldn't affect the CDROM, though.  Anybody
help out there?

--

Public Access UNIX and Internet at (503) 220-1016 (2400-14400, N81)

1. Redhat 4.1 install - Sony CDU31A CD-ROM problems - HELP

I am trying to install Redhat 4.1/Intel Linux from CD-ROM.
I am using the Boot floppy that came with the shrink wrap box.
I selected Local CD-ROM and tried the following parameters,
   cdu31a=0x340,0
as mentioned in the users guide. The format is,
   cdu31a=base_addr,[irq-0][,PAS]
The guide says, use zero for IRQ is there is none used (page 155).

The Sony CDU31A CD-ROM is connected to a serial card in the motherboard.
The device manager in Windows 95 shows I/O range 0340-0343.
No IRQ is specified. My computer is a Gateway 2000 486 DX2 66.

It is 2 days since I requested for support from redhat and no replies
yet.

2. kernel 1.3.4 missing file!!!

3. kernel with driver for SONY CDU76E 4X cd-rom drive?

4. Cannot access printer...

5. Sony CDU76E cd-rom Help!

6. How to mount NTFS on Sun Solaris

7. New IDE-CD/extended IDE driver supports Sony 55E ATAPI CD-ROM!

8. Promise 133 TX2

9. HELP: SONY CDU76e IDE CD-ROMassistance

10. slackware kernel 2.0.0 & SONY CDU31A CD-ROM

11. Sony cdu31a CD ROM

12. Sony CD-ROM (cdu31a) Help

13. Setting up REVEAL CD-ROM (Sony CDU31A)