Not so random kernel panics

Post by Aragon » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 02:00:11

I have an issue with one of my machines.

Here is the hardware specifications:

AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1ghz CPU
256mb PC2100 266mhz RAM
ASUS A7A266 motherboard w/ALiMAGiK 1 chipset & BIOS rev 1004
hda Western Digital 10gb
bios settings
        multi-sector transfers = maximum
        SMART monitoring = enabled
hdb Western Digital 30gb
bios settings
        multi-sector transfers = maximum
        SMART monitoring = enabled
hdc On-Stream DI-30
bios settings
        PIO mode = 4
        UltraDMA = disabled
hdd CD-ROM
bios settings
        PIO mode = 4
        UltraDMA = 2
Matrox G450 AGP graphics card
Intel Pro 100 NIC
Custom 2.4.9 kernel
Red Hat 7.1 complete installation

Now, everything works fine most of the time.  Every once in a blue moon
(about once a month) the system will give have a kernel panic (divide
error).  The last time it did this I wrote the code down.  I believe it
does this mostly during the night.  Now for the really disturbing part.  It
likes to lock up frequently during tape backups.  I'm only backing up hdb.
It doesn't give me any messages when it locks up like this.  These might be
two seprate issues that I am dealing with.  Any help would be greatly
appreicated.  I'm using taper to do the backups.  I don't believe it is
software related but it could be.

Any help with this perplexing issue would be greatly appreciated.

--
Willis Yonker

Not so random kernel panics

Post by Chris Elvidg » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 15:05:19

> I have an issue with one of my machines.

> Here is the hardware specifications:

> hdc On-Stream DI-30

IMHO these things are crap. Mine won't take even new tapes now.

Quote:>I believe it
> does this mostly during the night.  Now for the really disturbing part.  It
> likes to lock up frequently during tape backups.  I'm only backing up hdb.
> It doesn't give me any messages when it locks up like this.  These might be
> two seprate issues that I am dealing with.  Any help would be greatly
> appreicated.  I'm using taper to do the backups.  I don't believe it is
> software related but it could be.

See above.

Quote:

> Any help with this perplexing issue would be greatly appreciated.

Bin it.

Not so random kernel panics

Post by Aragon » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 12:31:41

Okay, that fixes my lockups during backup.  Now what about my random
lockups?  Would 2.4.10 fix that?  Is it an issue with that chipset?

Quote:

--
Willis Yonker

1. panic not rebooting even though /proc/sys/kernel/panic=1?

Anyone know why a kernel panic would not cause a reboot even though /proc/sys/kernel/panic is set to "1"?

This morning I had the following message on the console of a 2.2.14 box that had been sitting idle overnight:

When I pressed ENTER, I found that bash was still responding, though when I tried to run "top" everything froze until I pulled the plug on the box:

   total 3
   drwxr-x---    2 root     root         1024 Nov  7 23:56 .
   drwxr-xr-x   13 root     root         1024 Nov  7 19:56 ..
   -rw-------    1 root     root            5 Nov  7 23:56 test.txt

   Kernel panic: Free list corrupted

1) Anyone know why the kernel panic didn't cause a reboot?

2) Or maybe why something like this would even happen?

Thanks,

Stphane Charette

-

2. What should be compiled as module ? [kernel]

3. Turning on cache causes random kernel panics, core dumps

4. third hard drive problems

5. Random Number generator not Random *****

6. DOS like commands on UNIX machine.

7. What is Kernel Panic: EXT2-fs panic (Device 3/65)

8. SUMMARY: How to make fingerd send phone # and office

9. Kernel panic: EXT2-fs panic on 2.5.4-pre3

10. Kernel panic: aha152x panic (during LILO install)

11. Panic or not panic

12. Kernel panic: EXT-fs panic from fdisk

13. Kernel panic: EXT2-fs panic