Which PCI EIDE controllers work well w/ linux? (Need advice)

Which PCI EIDE controllers work well w/ linux? (Need advice)

Post by Arup Mukherj » Thu, 04 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
        I'm going to be looking for an EIDE controller for use with a
P66 whose PCI motherboard does NOT have onboard I/O, and I'll like to
find a good controller that works well with linux. Here's what I'm
hoping for:

Desired: - Supports 4 drives
         - PIO mode 4 and DMA 2
                 (is this supported for linux PCI w/ SiS chipset?)
         - not based on buggy RZ-1000 or CMD 640 chips
         - ideally, with 16550's as well (not required)
         - serial I/O, if any, not based on potentially buggy SMC '665
           or SMC '666 chipset
         - costs less than $100 (i.e. not a caching controller)

Is anyone out there currently using a controller that meets these
requirements? If so: What make/model is it, and where can I get it?

I've searched archives of the newsgroups and read the PCI HOWTO
already, but they haven't really helped me narrow down which
controller to get. I'd really appreciate any help in this regard...

Thanks,