PCMCIA Ethernet Card for Linux?

Post by SDJo » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 11:26:36

Hi all,

Anyone can tell will PCMCIA ethernet card can use in Linux, eg: Redhat

Many Thanks

Joe

PCMCIA Ethernet Card for Linux?

Post by cfelle » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 13:13:13

Xircom's cards work good... have both a Xircom PCMCIA modem card, and a
Xircom PCMCIA ethernet/lan card on my RH laptop.

> Hi all,

> Anyone can tell will PCMCIA ethernet card can use in Linux, eg: Redhat

> Many Thanks

> Joe

PCMCIA Ethernet Card for Linux?

Post by SDJo » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 16:14:52

Which model you using now??

> Xircom's cards work good... have both a Xircom PCMCIA modem card, and a
> Xircom PCMCIA ethernet/lan card on my RH laptop.

> > Hi all,

> > Anyone can tell will PCMCIA ethernet card can use in Linux, eg: Redhat

> > Many Thanks

> > Joe

PCMCIA Ethernet Card for Linux?

Post by SDJo » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 16:20:16

Which model you using now ?? Many Thanks

> Xircom's cards work good... have both a Xircom PCMCIA modem card, and a
> Xircom PCMCIA ethernet/lan card on my RH laptop.

> > Hi all,

> > Anyone can tell will PCMCIA ethernet card can use in Linux, eg: Redhat

> > Many Thanks

> > Joe

PCMCIA Ethernet Card for Linux?

Post by Dances With Cro » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 22:39:53

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:26:36 +0800, SDJo staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Quote:>Anyone can tell will PCMCIA ethernet card can use in Linux, eg: Redhat

Do a little research, eh?  http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ has a big
list of PCMCIA cards that are known to work.  I think that the ones that
have the greatest chance of working are the ones that advertise "NE2000
compatible" or the ones made by 3Com.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best
http://www.brainbench.com     /   friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark
-----------------------------/    to read.  --Groucho Marx

Post by Michael Meissne » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 02:42:28

> Xircom's cards work good... have both a Xircom PCMCIA modem card, and a
> Xircom PCMCIA ethernet/lan card on my RH laptop.

Quoting from the pcmcia-3.1.26 SUPPORTED.CARDS page:

The following cards are NOT supported.  This list is not meant to be
comprehensive: I list these cards because people frequently ask about
them.  In general, there are no technical reasons why a card is not
supported: simply put, as far as I know, no one is working on these
cards, therefore, drivers will not be written.  Most cards on this
list have been there for a very long time, so please do not send me
email just to ask if their status has changed.

        Adaptec/Trantor APA-460 SlimSCSI
        Eiger Labs SCSI w/FCC ID K36...
        Melco LPC3-TX
        New Media .WAVjammer and all other sound cards
        New Media LiveWire+
        Nikon CoolPix100
        Panasonic KXL-D720
        RATOC SMA01U SmartMedia Adapter
        SMC 8016 EliteCard
        Xircom CEM II Ethernet/Modem
        Xircom CE-10BT Ethernet [ but try xircce_cs contrib driver ]
        Xircom CBE-10/100 CardBus

I've had good luck with my two LinkSys cards that I got some time ago:

        Linksys PCMPC200 EtherFast CardBus
        Linksys EtherFast LANmodem 56K (PCMLM56)

The PCMLM56 card is a combo card (modem + ethernet) and has the two connections
in a housing that juts out of the slot (ie, no dongle that can break and must
be the top card).  It is not a cardbus card, so I tend to use the PCMPC200 when
I'm just using the ethernet.  The PCMPC200 card has a dongle, but there is now
a version like the PCMLM56 that doesn't have a dongle.  The PCMCP200 is also
fairly cheap ($53 at NECX for instance).

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)

Post by Jim Chishol » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 05:06:18

> Hi all,

> Anyone can tell will PCMCIA ethernet card can use in Linux, eg: Redhat

> Many Thanks

> Joe

If you're going with RedHat 7.1 or 2.4.x kernel, your best bet is a DLink
DE-650..
I've had a miserable time with Xircom but an old USR Magitronix card
works as well.
Trust me, avoid Xircom.

Jim

Jim Chisholm
Dalhousie University, Dept. Physics Halifax N.S. Canada
Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service
Captain/Training Officer  Bay Road Station 59