x800 video card, x server won't start

Post by rbaker » Mon, 06 Jun 2005 18:32:03

I have a Sapphire(Ati) X800 video card and I can't get Red Hat 9 to work
with it. I get a message that X Server cannot start, or something like that.
What can I do to fix this? I'm a relative newbie to Linux.

thanks

Post by Wolfgang Draxinge » Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:57:23

> I have a Sapphire(Ati) X800 video card and I can't get Red Hat
> 9 to work with it. I get a message that X Server cannot start,
> or something like that. What can I do to fix this? I'm a
> relative newbie to Linux.

Is the X Server configured properly? Are you using ATIs own
propritary driver or an OpenSource variant from the DRI project?

Wolfgang Draxinger
--

x800 video card, x server won't start

Post by rbaker » Tue, 07 Jun 2005 04:57:28

I installed ATI's driver and I still have the problem.  How do I configure
the X server to work right with it?

thanks

>> I have a Sapphire(Ati) X800 video card and I can't get Red Hat
>> 9 to work with it. I get a message that X Server cannot start,
>> or something like that. What can I do to fix this? I'm a
>> relative newbie to Linux.

> Is the X Server configured properly? Are you using ATIs own
> propritary driver or an OpenSource variant from the DRI project?

> Wolfgang Draxinger
> --

1. New video card, now linux won't start

A few weeks ago I upgraded my video card to a Creative Labs Blaster
Riva TNT (I think that's what it is called).  I have a dual boot system
and haven't started linux since that time.  Today when I tried to boot
into Linux (RH 6.0 with KDE 1.1) I never got to the graphical login
screen.  The system continually flashed some errors over and over and
over... about X failing to start.  I realized that I should have
changed my runlevel before trading in my video card, but i forgot.
*sigh*

So how can I force Linux to start in text mode so that I can
reconfigure X?  I can boot from my RH CD-ROM, but I'm not sure how to
mount the partition that contains my /etc folder.  Please help!!!

--steve

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Linux, Cyrix 6x86 and gigabyte MB?

3. Please Help w/RH 5.0 - Video prob when starting X Server but using supported video card

4. How to do a shell "read" at the end of a pipe?

5. 'Server already active for display 0' - won't start

6. nec 260 IDE CDROM

7. 3.9.17 won't start on TNT card...

8. Q: Excluding a range of memory in 2.2.5

9. Can't start X on new video card

10. X won't start correctly with S3 Trio64 card and MS mouse

11. X won't pick up my video cards memory...

12. X won't start: can't open default font 'fixed'

13. Linux won't recognize video card