IP KVM Recommendations?

Post by cyber0n » Fri, 19 Aug 2005 23:43:03

(If someone can point me to another group that would be better suited
for this question, I'd greatly appreciate it.)

I'm starting up a very small home business (just testing the waters for
now) and, if it looks like it's going to go anywhere, one of the first
things I'm going to want to set up with the initial profits is an IP
KVM.  My current KVMs have been great for personal use, but I'm going
to need more ports, better remote access solutions, and direct hardware
(BIOS, power-cycle, etc.) access remotely.  So a decent IP KVM seems
like the best overall solution.

I've been Googling around and have found plenty of sales-this and
marketing-that, but sites with _actual_ technical descriptions of
functionality and price comparisons seem to be few and far between.
Before I even think of making a purchase of this magnitude, I'll need
to be as informed as I can be on the subject.

Has anyone had experience with IP KVM devices before?  Can you point me
to some technical resources?  Most sites I find are written to address
a purchasing manager or some high-level business planner.  I need
something that addresses the guy in the server room who needs to hook
the thing up.  Explanations of what I'll need (separate pieces of
hardware to sit between the KVM's rj45 ports and the machines' k/v/m
ports, for example), explanations of how to connect remotely (web
browser or client app?  what port does it come in on?), etc.

If anyone has any advice or recommendations, I'd greatly appreciate it.
 One thing that needs to be considered, at least for now, is the price.
 The difference between a $1500 solution and a $5000 solution is
crucial for a small start-up like this.  I need to specifically
identify the products that fit my needs, forsaking extra bells and
whistles, and deliver what I'm looking for at the best price I can get.

Regards,
David P. Donahue

http://www.*0ne.com

IP KVM Recommendations?

Post by Michael Heimin » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 02:43:26

Quote:> (If someone can point me to another group that would be better suited
> for this question, I'd greatly appreciate it.)
> I'm starting up a very small home business (just testing the waters for
> now) and, if it looks like it's going to go anywhere, one of the first
> things I'm going to want to set up with the initial profits is an IP
> KVM.  My current KVMs have been great for personal use, but I'm going
> to need more ports, better remote access solutions, and direct hardware
> (BIOS, power-cycle, etc.) access remotely.  So a decent IP KVM seems
> like the best overall solution.
> I've been Googling around and have found plenty of sales-this and
> marketing-that, but sites with _actual_ technical descriptions of
> functionality and price comparisons seem to be few and far between.
> Before I even think of making a purchase of this magnitude, I'll need
> to be as informed as I can be on the subject.
> Has anyone had experience with IP KVM devices before?  Can you point me

Found them a pita using and not worth the money. A complete
serial (or/and LAN) BIOS redirection with additional CPU allowing
to hard reset the system and alike is all you really need. Good
server mobo tend to have this feature, there have been some
add-on cards (realweasel) or so, to turn almost any PC into
something like this. Dunno if they are still around.

If you just want to see/edit from the bootloader prompt, you
don't need more then a null-modem cable to another box.

#bofh excuse 189: SCSI's too wide.

IP KVM Recommendations?

Post by cyber0n » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 03:12:10

Quote:> Good server mobo tend to have this feature

That's something I neglected to mention.  There will be many cases
where I will need to access machines that are in no way, shape, or form
a "server" or have anything of that nature of hardware.  We're talking
plain old customer PCs, no telling what kind of internals they'll have.
 That's why I really want to stick with the KVM concept, as it would be
pretty universal (as long as it supports USB input devices, I can
imagine someone bringing me some cheap PC with no friggin PS/2 ports).

I'll need the solution to be entirely independant of the machines
themselves and be able to use them remotely as though I were sitting at
the console (power-cycle, edit the BIOS, install a new OS, etc).

IP KVM Recommendations?

Post by cyber0n » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 05:02:50

Quote:> http://www.adder.com

Very nice.  My searches hadn't turned up this company before.  I
especially like how they went with VNC for the interface, so I can just
use my existing VNC over SSH tunnel and just point it at the KVM's IP
instead of a machine's IP.  If I had the capital right this second,
these guys would be the first people I call.  Thanks for the link!

IP KVM Recommendations?

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 04:38:27

> I'll need the solution to be entirely independant of the machines
> themselves and be able to use them remotely as though I were sitting at
> the console (power-cycle, edit the BIOS, install a new OS, etc).

Given the need for both remote BIOS access and remote power cycling on
commodity hardware (not servers), you're likely looking at two devices:
  one KVM switch and one remotely accessible power device.  Power
cycling attached devices is not something you can usually do through a
KVM.  Powering off is usually straight forward (the 'poweroff' command,
for example) but turning on the power again remotely requires
specialized hardware either in the computer itself or in the power
switch.  I know APC has some rack PDUs (power distribution units) that
can remotely power cycle each outlet.  I'm sure there are other
manufacturers offering similar solutions, too.