TV capture card without video card ?

Post by tm.. » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi All,

I was rooting around for a *, but couldn't seem to find anything
available that would also work under linux.  So I started thinking about
using a TV/video capture card and connecting it to a videocamera.

The computer I plan to run this in is quit old, and the connector pins
on the video card are broken.  Question:  can I install a capture card
(say, ATI TV-Wonder) in my machine *without* connecting it to a video
card ?

I expect I wouldn't be able to watch TV without connecting the two, but
I should still be able to capture images with it, right ?

thanks for any advice,
terry

Before you buy.

Post by Steven Fosdic » Tue, 01 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> I was rooting around for a *, but couldn't seem to find anything
> available that would also work under linux.  So I started thinking about
> using a TV/video capture card and connecting it to a videocamera.

> The computer I plan to run this in is quit old, and the connector pins
> on the video card are broken.  Question:  can I install a capture card
> (say, ATI TV-Wonder) in my machine *without* connecting it to a video
> card ?

> I expect I wouldn't be able to watch TV without connecting the two, but
> I should still be able to capture images with it, right ?

Yes, depending on what software you use to capture with.

My TV/Video capture card (Haupage TV Go) doesn't have any dedicated
connection to the video card - it just sits on the PCI bus so there wouldn't
even need to be a video (display) card present in the machine to capture
from the capture card.

The only complication would be if you wanted to watch what you were
capturing which is a facility some of the gUI based capture programs offer.
You could use the GUI interface remotely by setting the DISPLAY environment
variable to point to another machine, but this probably wouldn't be fast
enough to monitor what was being captured.  Of course if you are not
bothered about that you can turn the monitoring off or use a command line
based capture tool and all will be fine.

1. AGP video card, TV tuner and capture card

   I am planning to buy a new PC. I am a Slackware Linux user.
 The point is that I want advice, experiences, suggestions, etc
  concerning what AGP video card and PAL-TV tuner with video capture
 card should I buy. The best would be a card including everything like
 the ALL-IN-WONDER Pro card. But I think this does not support Linux.
 I have seen the BTTV page. But I want to make sure of the following
features.
    a) I want the AGP video card to be accelerated under Linux
    b) I want to be able to have  resizable TV windows
    c)  I want to access teletext
    d)  I want to be able to capture video sequences

           If you can help me in some way in my decision I would be very

 grateful and I will put my experience to the service of  future

           Thank you very much

           Antonio Gonzalez-Arroyo
           Departamento de Fisica Teorica
           Univ. Autonoma de Madrid
            Madrid, SPAIN

2. Boca research internal 33,6k modem, how to get it working? (if anyhow)

3. mutiple tv tuner cards and video capture cards, help needed

4. Can I burn an iso image to a CD under win9x

5. mutiple tv tuner cards/video capture cards, newbie question

6. Mgetty and Incoming Fax problem

7. Programming video card (ATI card w/ s-video & tv-out) Need direction to correct info

8. AUSU cusi-fx

9. Setup TV-Card and additional Video-In on Video Card

10. Graphics card for 3D, TV and Video capture?

11. video capture and TV tuner card

12. Graphics card for 3D, TV and Video capture?

13. TV Tuner/Video Capture cards that support Win2K or Linux?