Epson Stylus Color 300

Post by Jean J Taok » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi
can someone help me :
I have some trouble with my epson stylus color 300. The first thing I
tried when I bought it was
ls > /dev/lp1. It prints but not what is expected.
So I installed LPRng-3.51, Magicfilter and Ghostscript-5.50. But I don't
know how to manage with the Magicfilter and the file stc.upp. What
should I do if I want to print postcript and text files?

Thank

Jean J

Epson Stylus Color 300

Post by Kurt Wa » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Jean J Taoko pleaded:
%Hi
%can someone help me :
%I have some trouble with my epson stylus color 300. The first thing I
%tried when I bought it was
%ls > /dev/lp1. It prints but not what is expected.
%So I installed LPRng-3.51, Magicfilter and Ghostscript-5.50. But I don't
%know how to manage with the Magicfilter and the file stc.upp. What
%should I do if I want to print postcript and text files?

Here are a couple of links that should help you.  I used them,
and my Epson Stylus Color 600 prints like a champ.  While not
directly applicable to the 300, they should give you some information
that you will find helpful.

http://www.u.arizona.edu/~zdw/uniprint.html
http://www.caldera.com/support/techguide/styluscolor.html

     Get ghostscript 5.10 (the Aladdin version), and make sure
         it has the upp driver.  Precompiled ones ought to, but you
         can compile it yourself if you want.  The following command
         filters PostScript to 720dpi ESC2 which you can feed directly
         to the printer:

There is also an Epson Stylus HOWTO at:
     http://www.eunuchs.org/linux/

A great source for RPMs that already have ESC support is:
http://www.typhoon.dircon.co.uk
-or is it-
http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~typhoon

Read the README files.

This RPM includes Epson Stylus drivers up to 1440 dpi as well as
several HP drivers not found in the standard Ghostscript
distribution. Some of the HP printers these work on are the HP 500,
500C, 510, 520, 540, 550C, 560C, 670, 690, 820C, 850C, 855C, 870, 890,
1100 and 1600 as well as all PCL-3 printers tested.  There are lots of
docs for these drivers and a man page for the hpdj driver.
This RPM includes all the post release patches up to and including
June 26 1998. This RPM also includes support for True Type fonts. See
the file fonts.txt for instructions.

Some of the included drivers drivers are:

vgalib : vga consoles
lvga256: vga consoles
stcolor: Epson Stylus
uniprint: Epson Stylus Color, Canon BJC 610, HP-Deskjet 550c, NEC

Run "gs -h" to see the full list of drivers. The files devs.mak,
devices.txt and use.txt hold information on the included drivers and
using the program.

Some great instructions for configuring your ESC come from Rod

1) Grab the Ghostscript 5.10 RPMs from http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~typhoon/.
   Install them.
2) Edit the /var/spool/lpd/{spoolname}/postscript.cfg file so that the
   GSDEVICE line reads 'GSDEVICE=uniprint' and the EXTRA_GS_OPTIONS line

   720x1440 dpi.
3) If desired, create additional print queues with other names, and
   specify different .upp files in postscript.cfg for different
   resolutions.  Three are supplied for the ESC 600 with Ghostscript 5.10.
4) The color curves in the .upp files for at least some Epson printers are
   off.  I don't recall the details, but if you're dissatisfied with the
   color balance on your color printouts, try swapping the color curves in
   the .upp files (these are the blocks of lines with names like
   '-dupCyanTransfer=' and a bunch of numbers.  I think it's cyan and
   magenta that need to be swapped, but it might be yellow and one of the
   others.  I might also be thinking of the ESC 800's color curves, so
   this may not apply to you, though of course you can still fiddle with
   these curves if you don't like the color balance you get on your
   output.
--
Rod Smith

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

Kurt Wall
--
Maintainer of the Informix on Linux FAQ:
  http://www.users.uswest.net/~kwall/iolfaq.html

Epson Stylus Color 300

Post by Jean J Taok » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
Well I have my Epson Stylus Color 300 printing postcript now when I use the
command line

But now I do not succeed do make it work with Magicfilter . here is my postscript
line in the Magicfilter file :
# PostScript

When I try to print using Ghostview, it does nothing. I have carrefully installed
every thing.

What I want to know is : what is the word "filter"? Is ist a command? I don't have
it in my PATH.
I am using Slackware3.5. Is "filter" a command of an other distribution?

Thank
Jean J

> [...]

>    off.  I don't recall the details, but if you're dissatisfied with the
>    color balance on your color printouts, try swapping the color curves in
>    the .upp files (these are the blocks of lines with names like
>    '-dupCyanTransfer=' and a bunch of numbers.  I think it's cyan and
>    magenta that need to be swapped, but it might be yellow and one of the
>    others.  I might also be thinking of the ESC 800's color curves, so
>    this may not apply to you, though of course you can still fiddle with
>    these curves if you don't like the color balance you get on your
>    output.
> --
> Rod Smith

> http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
> NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

> Kurt Wall
> --
> Maintainer of the Informix on Linux FAQ:

1. Linux & Epson Stylus Colour 300

Out of interest, does anyone know if there is a ghostscript driver for
the Epson Stylus Colour 300? I personally doubt it, but you never do
know.

I'm not too worried, mind. I've got an old dot-matrix which is much
cheaper to feed anyway. That one definitely isn't a winprinter.
--
<---------------REMOVE SPAMTO TO DIRECT REPLY--------------->

2. two devices into one serial port?

3. epson stylus color 300

4. WindowMaker segfault

5. RH5.2 with Epson Stylus Color 300

6. Could someone send me their rc.local from Slackware 1.1.2

7. Epson Stylus Color 300

8. URL on task bar

9. Driver for Epson stylus color 300 - progress

10. Epson Stylus Color 300

11. printer epson stylus color 300

12. printing with epson stylus color 300

13. EPSON STYLUS 300