How to install new ATI 8500 rpm package for video card

How to install new ATI 8500 rpm package for video card

Post by MM » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 12:36:41

I have an 8500LE ATI VC.
I have Suse 8.1. It shows an 8500LE driver.  But when I click to install it.
It just brings up the regular 8500 driver.  It wont take this driver.  Why
wont it take the driver I select?

I downloaded a new driver from ATI's website.  It has an rpm extension.  I
boot linux and click to intall the driver and it seems like it installs but
where the hell does it go.  I dont know where to look.  I used yast to
configure the card but the new driver isnt there, it isnt in the list.
There is no (have disk) option to pull it from somewhere else.  Which is
totally stupid.

Any answers for a frustrated Linux newbie.

Post by Norma » Tue, 19 Nov 2002 21:25:44

> I have an 8500LE ATI VC.
> I have Suse 8.1. It shows an 8500LE driver.  But when I click to install it.
> It just brings up the regular 8500 driver.  It wont take this driver.  Why
> wont it take the driver I select?

> I downloaded a new driver from ATI's website.  It has an rpm extension.  I
> boot linux and click to intall the driver and it seems like it installs but
> where the hell does it go.

I dont know where to look.

I don't use Suse now so cannot remember what it uses to install rpms.
When you say you click on the driver to install it I guess you mean from
Konqueror. If you have not logged on as root user then I expect the install
failed. On my Mandrake 9.0 system I run Kpackage ( logged on as root)
It has to be told where to find the packages you intend to install but you can
tell it to look in several places Settings/configure Kpackage/ then pick from
the options and follow the instructions you see. Make sure you apply the new
settings and then press F5 to update the list shown.
Click on the one you want to install and then do as it says.
   I used yast to

Quote:> configure the card but the new driver isnt there, it isnt in the list.
> There is no (have disk) option to pull it from somewhere else.  Which is
> totally stupid.

> Any answers for a frustrated Linux newbie.

Did you install windows yourself the first time you used it?
I expect it came pre-installed on your PC.
If not then perhaps you had problems eg When you wanted to know
where to look for the interrupts your cards used when someone
told you that conflicts might be causing windows to crash.
If you were lucky enough not to get problems then maybe you
still don't know such things.
With Linux now you don't always need to know this but if you
start to learn such things you will be learning about computers
not just how to use a windows program. So stick at it unless
you just want to use applications in which case you would have
a lot less stress if you got someone to set it up for you.

best wishes
Norm

--

Noose & Head?
Lambs & Slaughter?

http://www.nelliott.co.uk
registered Linux user 277766

How to install new ATI 8500 rpm package for video card

Post by olc-caNOS.. » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 04:37:58

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 12:25:44 +0000, Norman

>> I have an 8500LE ATI VC.
>> I have Suse 8.1. It shows an 8500LE driver.  But when I click to install it.
>> It just brings up the regular 8500 driver.  It wont take this driver.  Why
>> wont it take the driver I select?

>> I downloaded a new driver from ATI's website.  It has an rpm extension.  I
>> boot linux and click to intall the driver and it seems like it installs but
>> where the hell does it go.
>I dont know where to look.

>I don't use Suse now so cannot remember what it uses to install rpms.
>When you say you click on the driver to install it I guess you mean from
>Konqueror. If you have not logged on as root user then I expect the install
>failed. On my Mandrake 9.0 system I run Kpackage ( logged on as root)
>It has to be told where to find the packages you intend to install but you can
>tell it to look in several places Settings/configure Kpackage/ then pick from
>the options and follow the instructions you see. Make sure you apply the new
>settings and then press F5 to update the list shown.
>Click on the one you want to install and then do as it says.
>   I used yast to
>> configure the card but the new driver isnt there, it isnt in the list.
>> There is no (have disk) option to pull it from somewhere else.  Which is
>> totally stupid.

>> Any answers for a frustrated Linux newbie.

>Did you install windows yourself the first time you used it?
>I expect it came pre-installed on your PC.
>If not then perhaps you had problems eg When you wanted to know
>where to look for the interrupts your cards used when someone
>told you that conflicts might be causing windows to crash.
>If you were lucky enough not to get problems then maybe you
>still don't know such things.
>With Linux now you don't always need to know this but if you
>start to learn such things you will be learning about computers
>not just how to use a windows program. So stick at it unless
>you just want to use applications in which case you would have
>a lot less stress if you got someone to set it up for you.

>best wishes
>Norm

This answers, in part, how to install the ATI 9000Pro drivers on my
newly installed Mandrake 9.0. I did exactly what the original poster
did and had the same frustration. Being dumber even than a newbie, if
I have installed Mandrake to automatically login as user x on KDE, how
do I log in as root? Log on as a different user doesn't give me that
choice.

Please be gentle. This is apparently too simple for several Linux
books I looked through.

Post by Norma » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 08:26:02

 > This answers, in part, how to install the ATI 9000Pro drivers on my
 > newly installed Mandrake 9.0. I did exactly what the original poster
 > did and had the same frustration. Being dumber even than a newbie, if
 > I have installed Mandrake to automatically login as user x on KDE, how
 > do I log in as root? Log on as a different user doesn't give me that
 > choice.
 >
 > Please be gentle. This is apparently too simple for several Linux
 > books I looked through.

click on the 'K' button on the task bar at the bottom of the screen
select Configuration/Mandrake Control Centre.
You will be asked for the root user password.
You can then select boot/boot config
from this you can change the way Linux boots up.
Stick to a graphical boot until you are more used to it.

Or you can do an install of rpms with :
click on the 'K' button on the task bar at the bottom of the screen
select configuration/packaging/kpackage
Again you will be asked for the root user password.

When it starts up click on settings/configure kpackage.
Set it to point to the directories where the rpms are
that you want to install.
Make sure you save the settings.
Press F5 to update the view and you should be able
to select the package you wish to install.

Get back to me again if you want more help.
best wishes,
norm

1. Cannot boot Red Hat 8.0 w/ ATI Radeon 8500, fails to initialise video

I recently installed Red Hat Linux 8.0 on my system, but I cannot get
it to boot with my ATI Radeon 8500 card installed. After I select it
from Grub's list of OS's (I run a dual boot system with Win2k), the
screen shuts down (receives no signal). A more Linux savvy friend of
mine managed to boot with a boot disk and supply parameters (vga=ask
on the grub command line) to ask about the VGA mode, but when he chose
80x25 character text mode, it still gave the same result. (It seems
odd to me that 80x25 char text mode shouldn't work - especially since
that's the default mode that the boot disk's command prompt was
launched in ...) We then swapped the Radeon for a Hercules 3D Prophet
4500 64MB (Kyro II chipset), and it worked just fine.

My friend told me that the ATI CATALYST driver update might flash the
BIOS (presumably the video BIOS, though he was not specific), so we
proceeded to do this. However, Windows gave several error messages
(requesting that I install a generic VGA adapter, which proved nigh
impossible as Windows reinstalled Radeon drivers on reboot); after
several hours of this, the 2.4 CATALYST drivers are (more or less)
installed, but Linux still doesn't boot.

Specs: PIII 700 MHz, ASUS CUV4X mainboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon
8500 (if I need to post more specifics, please tell me)

I'm a Linux newbie, so be merciful. I'd greatly appreciate any help
though, no matter how many HOWTO's I have to read to understand it. ;)

2. uid-mapping with kernel nfs server

3. NEW: ATI FireGL 8800 Linux Driver works for Radeon 8500 (includes DRI support)

4. configure ipx with 2 ethernet interface

5. ATI technologies Radeon 8500 graphics card

6. )]

7. Genoa 8500 video card

8. background clock in X ?

9. another video card Q - Genoa 8500

10. Limbo and Radeon 8500 video cards

11. Programming video card (ATI card w/ s-video & tv-out) Need direction to correct info

12. updating RPM packages with new nonRPM-packages

13. Can't install new RPM packages