HELP: Future Domain SCSI with 2 SCSI drives

HELP: Future Domain SCSI with 2 SCSI drives

Post by Dileep Agrawa » Tue, 17 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Future Domain boots from the drive with higher SCSI ID while Linux
assigns sda to the drive with the lower SCSI ID.  Therefore attempts to
load /dev/sda1 as root partition fails.  I remember there being a LILO
solution for this.  If anyone has it, please email it to me

TIA.

Post by Grant Taylo » Tue, 17 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Future Domain boots from the drive with higher SCSI ID while Linux
> assigns sda to the drive with the lower SCSI ID.

Hmm.  On many SCSI controllers the boot device is configurable; but if
not:

> Therefore attempts to load /dev/sda1 as root partition fails.  I
> remember there being a LILO solution for this.  If anyone has it,

You can hard-code the BIOS locations of SCSI devices in lilo.conf; for
more information on this read the LILO manual.  (In RedHat, it's
probably in /usr/doc/lilo-something/; other distributions probably
also include it).

--

    Where do these people come from?       Finger for PGP public key.

Post by David Carte » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Future Domain boots from the drive with higher SCSI ID while Linux
>assigns sda to the drive with the lower SCSI ID.  Therefore attempts to
>load /dev/sda1 as root partition fails.  I remember there being a LILO
>solution for this.  If anyone has it, please email it to me

>TIA.

I had this exact same problem a few months ago.  The solution (which a guy
in England sent me) was to add these two lines to my lilo.conf file:

disk=/dev/sdb bios=0x80 # First booted hard drive (assigned C: in DOS)
disk=/dev/sda bios=0x81 # Second hard drive (assigned D: in DOS by boot ROM)

Change the dev entries to match your system, and you should be fine.
(Maybe I should modify the LILO HOWTO and send the maintainer diffs -- a
project for another day!)  In any case, this worked for me.  The only
caveat is that you need to modify this if you add or remove any drives so
it still matches reality.  (Be careful when you add that zip drive...)

        David

--

PGP Key IDs ==> BD609CFD ** F3F740B5 ** CB802225 <== (2048 bits)
PGP Key Fingerprints (in order of key preference)

1. LILO & SCSI Hard drive (Future Domain 1680) HELP!

 I have Linux installed from the new March 4cd Infomagic set (Slackware)
and have been using a boot disk.

 Configuration is as follows:

 IDE Drives
   340 meg Segate - Dos drive C
   240 meg Conner - Dos drive D
 Future Domain 1680
   512 meg Fujitsu - /
   60 meg Quantum - /home

 Now I can boot from a floppy fine. Now I want to add Lilo. If I run lilo
with just a lilo.conf, I get a "Drive at 0x82 may be unaccessable". I ran
dparam.com under dos and got the configuration of the drives (Which is not
the same as reported under fdisk in Linux) and added them as 0x80 and 0x81
as reported in the LILO-HOWTO. Still no luck. Just get L01010101010.

 My big question is why does Lilo report a drive at 0x82 when all the docs
say the first SCSI drive is at 0x80? Im sure this is the root of the
problem I just dont know how to fix it...

-Nick

--
Nicholas Brenckle                  |              Its all part
Yale University                    |            of my master plan

2. Getting started with PPP on Gateway 2000 PC

3. Need Future Domain SCSI 18xx SCSI drvier for Linux

4. changes password linux server

5. Future Domain 9C50 SCSI chip (as in Orchid SoundWave 32 pro SCSI)

6. Linux & Java & Opera vs. WinCE WebTV in Web Appliances by Q2.

7. Future Domain SCSI adapter and Plextore CD-ROM Drive

8. Linux with a Linksys Befsr41 router

9. Future Domains 1610 SCSI driver can't find my Zip drive

10. SCSI disk drive not happy w/Future Domain host...

11. need help with future domain tmc-845 scsi

12. help again of (problem with installing SCSI Future Domain 1680 + Toshiba 1.2G)

13. Help -- SCSI, Future Domain TMC-950