Change Dell XPSD300 to PII450 SMP motherboard inquiries?

Change Dell XPSD300 to PII450 SMP motherboard inquiries?

Post by Sean McGrat » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I am interested in upgrading my Dell  XPS D300.  I'd *like* to just swap

the current Dell/Intel motherboard with a new notherboard that supports
the 100mhz FSB and dual PII 450's with 512megs of PC100 sdram.

Questions - suggestions?

Anyone know if there's a compatible motherboard with the XPS D300 by
Dell?  It this even possible, or do I need to build a whole new system
from scratch?

I understand Linux will use SMP but is it really to a major
advantage?  Will the OS delegate tasks evenly between the cpus?

Thanks

Email please!

Sean McGrath, RN

Post by david kahan » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I am interested in upgrading my Dell  XPS D300.  I'd *like* to just swap

> the current Dell/Intel motherboard with a new notherboard that supports
> the 100mhz FSB and dual PII 450's with 512megs of PC100 sdram.

> Questions - suggestions?

It's probably possible, but there are a few possible gotcha's.
First, the new mobo has to fit in the box. This is a matter of
finding out what the form factor is: it might be AT, or ATX,
or even NTX I suppose. I don't know the mobo in question.
You have to get a new mobo with the same form factor as your
present one.

Then, you want to make sure that any headers on the new
board can be made to line up with I/O slots already on the box,
and that the PCI/ISA extension slots line up OK too, at least the
ones you will need.

The thing to do is find out what actual mobo you have in there.
Talk to DELL support, and find out from them, if you can,
and whatever other info you can find out too (whether such
an upgrade is possible might be a good question to ask them ...
remember you're not obligated to buy it from them).

Once you know your mobo, then go to the manufacturers
website, and download the specifications and anything else
that looks useful. While there, look and see if a dual PII mobo
with the features you want is made by the same manufacturer.
If so, download the specs for that one too. If not, look around for
another mobo which has what you want, and has the same form factor.

The specs should include drawings of the physical layout of the
boards. You should be able to tell, with a bit of work, whether
things will fit.

The other potential problems are, with two processors, you will
generate more heat. You may need to upgrade your fans, if
temperature becomes a problem. Possibly you might need
a bigger power supply too. You will have to look at these things
one at a time. Don't jump into this, plan it first. Search the
net a bit (try hardware at yahoo), there are a couple of sites
discussing building your own system.

Quote:> Anyone know if there's a compatible motherboard with the XPS D300 by
> Dell?  It this even possible, or do I need to build a whole new system
> from scratch?

It might actually be an easier way to go, building a system fromscratch,
based around the Dual PII mobo. You might find a bare
bones system at a reasonable price. You could easily transfer your
extension cards, disks, monitor, etc, to the new box. Then maybe
just buy a small disk and a small monitor for the old box, and
you would have two working systems. Add a couple of nics and
you could set up a little LAN.

Quote:> I understand Linux will use SMP but is it really to a major
> advantage?

This really depends on what you are doing with your system.If the software
you run is not multi-threaded, you won't
gain in performance over one CPU. But, if you are doing
a lot of multi-tasking, you will be able to have one task
running on each CPU. For instance, I often develop
programs (edit/compile/debug), at the same time as I
run a calculation in the background. My system does not
appear to slow down under these circumstances, as a
single CPU machine would. That alone makes SMP
worthwhile for me. But my programs are CPU bound,
don't do much I/O and have good locality of reference.
(that means they can sit and eat cycles on one CPU,
not use the memory bus excessively, and leave the
other CPU free for use in compiling, or whatever).

Quote:> Will the OS delegate tasks evenly between the cpus?

It will delegate tasks as it sees fit ... check out the kernel
source for details, or look at the linux SMP and linux kernel
mailing lists, I am not an expert on the scheduler ....

Apropos this point, the development kernels have better
SMP support, so you will probably want to run one of those
on the new box, assuming 2.2 is still not out when you are
ready to go.

Cheers,

-dave k.

1. XPS D300 Motherboard swap for Linux PII450 SMP???

Since you seem someone interested in very high performance, I thought I might add a note to your quest for speed. While you do have good components in your D300, the hard drive is not an UDMA/33 type. It would be the previous generation that topped out at 16-18 MB/sec - a POI-4.

For maximum system performance at a reasonable cost, I suggest replacing the hard drive with a new IBM 14.4 GB 7,200 RPM UDMA/33 model. Even the 16.8 GB 5,400 RPM unit in my system would be faster than what you have now. Of course, for the ultimate in hard drive performance, a stripped set of five 10,000 RPM SCSI drives would be nice.

Bye.

    [.....]
    I'm interested in just swapping my motherboard the XPS D300 came with
    with a new BX 100mhz FSB with PII 450 support.  My components (hd etc) are
    excellent, so I'd like to find out if I can safely swap the motherboard and have the external
    access ports (USB, PCI, paralell, etc) match up in this Minitower.

    I'd *REALLY* be interested in a motherboard that had 100mhz support AND DUAL CPU
    support so Linux could use SMP (dual PII 450's)
    [.....]

2. unable to remove .nfsXXX file

3. SMP motherboards (760 MPX chipset) and SMP howto

4. allowing another host to use sendmail?

5. Linux SMP/ 486 SMP Motherboards?

6. Cable Modem w/ USB in Mandrake 7.1

7. A few questions about how things may change post-NDA, and general enquiries

8. loop device / insmod fails with 1.2.13

9. need for Quad or six cpus SMP motherboard info

10. Dell Poweredge 2600 SMP RH 7.3 ntpd and other problems

11. Suggestions for SMP motherboard...

12. SMP on Tyan motherboards

13. Need help with lockups on tyan s2460 motherboard in SMP mode