Help for SMP and 3D graphics hardware

Post by Mathias Pauli » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 16:45:11

Hi,
does anybody have a working smp configuration with hardware accelerated
OpenGL ?

I'm deseperatly trying to have my smp linux workstation to work with a
NVidia
Geforce DDR.
Due to bug with smp and nvidia drivers, the station crashes very often
when using
OpenGL.
I plan to change the graphic card for a smp-compatible one with good 3D
acceleration.
Which graphics card is the best for a smp configuration ?

My configuration is :
Asus motherBoard P2B-D 440BX Dual processor
1GO PC133 SDRAM
Adaptec AIC-7892 Ultra 160/m SCSI host adapter
two IBM DNES-309170W 9Gb hard drives
Nvidia GeForce DDR 32Mo
Redhat Linux 6.2
Redhat Linux 7.0

on both version of Redhat Linux, the problem is the same : reboot with
some OpenGL apps.
It works fine with QuakeIII (but useless).
It works fine with performer.
It reboots on some test in SpecViewPerf
It reboots on some local-developped OpenGL apps.

thanks for your help/recommandation

--
Mathias PAULIN           http://www.irit.fr/~Mathias.Paulin
Equipe Synthese d'images                            I.R.I.T

Post by Joshua Baker-LePai » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 03:15:47

> My configuration is :
> Asus motherBoard P2B-D 440BX Dual processor
> 1GO PC133 SDRAM
> Adaptec AIC-7892 Ultra 160/m SCSI host adapter
> two IBM DNES-309170W 9Gb hard drives
> Nvidia GeForce DDR 32Mo
> Redhat Linux 6.2
> Redhat Linux 7.0

Nice setup.  How fast are the processors?

Quote:> on both version of Redhat Linux, the problem is the same : reboot with
> some OpenGL apps.
> It works fine with QuakeIII (but useless).
> It works fine with performer.
> It reboots on some test in SpecViewPerf
> It reboots on some local-developped OpenGL apps.

I ran into the same problem on a dual PIII933, 512MB RDRAM Dell Precision
420 with the i840 chipset.  Fortunately, I don't *need* the 3D right now,
so I'm waiting to see if the drivers stabilize.

For professional level stuff and applications that you need working now,
I would look at the commercial X drivers from, e.g., Xi Graphics.  They
have a list of supported cards and driver prices at:

http://www.xigraphics.com/Pages/3D-LGD-List.html

Disclaimer: I've never used their stuff, so I can't speak to compatibility,
ease of installation, etc.  But they do have downloadable demos.

In terms of cards, I've heard the 3DLabs Oxygen series boards are nice...

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 03:55:08

> I plan to change the graphic card for a smp-compatible one with good
> 3D acceleration.
> Which graphics card is the best for a smp configuration ?

> My configuration is :
> Asus motherBoard P2B-D 440BX Dual processor
> 1GO PC133 SDRAM

If you are running your memory at 133 MHz with a 440BX chipset your AGP
port is overclocked. Therefore you will have to make sure that your
graphics card is able to operate at your overclocked speed.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:

1. 3D Graphics Hardware -- Opinions wanted!

Greetings all--

        I'm interested in hearing people's opinions about supported
3D graphix accelerators under XFree86.  I've seen several
postings here about getting things up and running, but
they've been dumped outta my news buffer.  If there's anyone
out there who's getting really kickin' 3D out of their Linux
box, please respond.

        I'm running XFree 3.3.1 on a Creative Labs MMA 334 right
now.  Performance is alright, but I'm getting into some
heavy rendering and VRML work.  Frame rates are beginning to
mean something, and I've got the cash to upgrade the
hardware...  Go ahead and sell me on your video card
preference!!

        Just to let you know, the motherboard I'm on is running
fast enough to handle most graphics-intensive applications.
I'm detecting the bottleneck in the video card...

        Thanks for your attention.
--
+====================================================+
Hackin' cuz the Goddess told me to-- | Linux & VRML

+====================================================+

2. Installing JRE

3. 3D graphics hardware acceleration ?

4. changing DNS server name

5. COMMERCIAL: Xi Graphics Announces 3D Hardware Support. Now.

6. Mandrake 8.0 ICS Probs

7. Any cheap (e.g. 8/16mb) graphics card that have hardware 3D on XFree86?

8. mke2fs while installing Linux.

9. Hardware for Linux 3D graphics

10. news: S3's Professional Graphics Division to Deliver 2D/3D Graphics to Linux(

11. COMMERCIAL: Linux Goes 3D - Hardware-accelerated 3D X servers

12. HELP! X w/ Sierra Screamin 3D graphics card

13. Do 3D graphic cards help ?