Hard drive problem?

Post by Jason Bolonsk » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

After installing the Slackware distribution of Linux on a second drive on my system,
it took me about two months to get the system and X setup and ready to use.  I was
using the system without any problems until:

hdb: read_intr: status = 0x59 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error}
hdb: read_intr: error = 0x40 {UncorrectableError}, LBAsect=344142, sector=344079
hdb: read_intr: error = 0x10 {SectorIdNotFound}, LBAsect=344142, sector=344079
        .
        .
        .{about 50 lines of this repeating with different LBAsect & sector}
        .
ide0: do_ide_reset: Success
        .
        .
        .{more of the earlier errors}
        .
end_request: I/O error, dev 0341, sector 606919
        .
        .
        .
        .{yep, even more}

The system stopped booting and when I attempted to reinstall everything from floppy,
it would do the same thing during the installation process.

Has anyone else seen this before?
Is my hard drive wasted? I am pretty sure that there about about 7Megs of bad blocks
on the drive.

Hd:     Seagate ST31621A
        1.62 gig

My BIOS does not support the large drives, but I had Linux below the 1023 cylinder
and it worked fine for a few months.

-Jason Bolonski

Hard drive problem?

Post by Oldfield » Thu, 03 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> The system stopped booting and when I attempted to reinstall everything from floppy,
> it would do the same thing during the installation process.
> Has anyone else seen this before?
> Is my hard drive wasted? I am pretty sure that there about about 7Megs of bad blocks
> on the drive.

Yes, I'm facing the same problem.  It's because the hard disk got bad
sectors. :(

Best Regards,
Oldfield So
--

Hard drive problem?

Post by Hoard Douglas Gl » Sun, 06 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > The system stopped booting and when I attempted to reinstall everything from floppy,
> > it would do the same thing during the installation process.
> > Has anyone else seen this before?
> > Is my hard drive wasted? I am pretty sure that there about about 7Megs of bad blocks
> > on the drive.

> Yes, I'm facing the same problem.  It's because the hard disk got bad
> sectors. :(

I to had the same problems ....

        hd: Conner 210MB

BUT, it seems to be fixed .....

        Packard Bell had the Landing Zone ( whatever that is )
        set to  0  . According to Conner ( really Seagate ) the
        correct Landing Zone for my hard drive is 685.

So far ... so good

regards,

Doug

1. Hard drive Problems Drive Seek error

I just got a brand new 6.5GB seagate and I am having problem installing
it on a dedicated linux system.  When ever linux probes the disk it gets
a 'seek error'.

I used LBA in the BIOS, fdisk the drive into a 256MB swap, 500MB root
(primary partition), and a 6.3GB logical drive.

install linux but it didn't boot.

2. Include directive in httpd.conf

3. Hard drive problem/BIOS Upgrade problem

4. Need help purchasing machine

5. Hard Drive Problems: Please Help!!!!

6. SCO UNIX and Terminators on a Ethernet LAN System, RJ-58 Cable with BNC connectors?

7. Syquest removable hard drive problem

8. xvidtune, Riva TNT card?

9. WD7193 SCSI controller and Conner CFP1060S hard drive problem

10. Hard drive problem 164PC

11. IDE hard drive problems

12. Hard drive problems with Linux/Windows

13. Help a hard drive problem