No sound (Mandrake 10+Fedora Core 2) on MS Virtual PC 2004

Post by Harri Pesone » Sat, 03 Apr 2004 07:39:53

>>I found out that Mandrake uses IRQ 7 for SoundBlaster16, while it should
>>use IRQ 5. Where can I configure this? SuSE has a great setup program
>>for things like these... I tried editing /etc/modules.conf and other
>>files manually, but it didn't help.

>>Harri

> Have you tried running alsaconf?

No, I didn't know of that. Now I tried it, and after about dozen boots I
got it working as well as in SuSE, i.e. barely. The sound works maybe
once or twice, it stutters a lot, and eventually it hangs. I guess that
the linux kernel is not fast enough for real-time sound emulation. MS
Virtual PC 2004 can run DOS/Win95/ME/2000/XP/OS/2 and the sound must
work in those...

So better to turn off the sound completely in linux for now. :-(

Harri