Interference with video card

Post by rich sag » Thu, 31 May 2001 01:30:09

Hi,

I've installed RH7.1, and it successfully detected my video card (Voodoo
Banshee) and monitor, but when I loaded X I just got a screen full of
interference.  I tried installing just the Generic VGA option instead, and
I can get into X now, but there's a really bad interference which looks
like its due to hard disk access, appearing as white dots all over the
screen.

Anyone else experienced anything like this? It was fien with RH6.2 :)

Cheers!

Rich S.

Post by John Taylo » Thu, 31 May 2001 06:24:30

: Hi,

: I've installed RH7.1, and it successfully detected my video card (Voodoo
: Banshee) and monitor, but when I loaded X I just got a screen full of
: interference.  I tried installing just the Generic VGA option instead, and
: I can get into X now, but there's a really bad interference which looks
: like its due to hard disk access, appearing as white dots all over the
: screen.

: Anyone else experienced anything like this? It was fien with RH6.2 :)

: Cheers!

: Rich S.

Does the interference look like TV static?  If so, this means that X is
trying to drive you monitor too hard.  On newer monitiors, you usually get a
message saying the frequencies are out of range.  On older monitors, you
just get static.

Go to the monitor manufactuer's web site and find two numbers for your
model.

Horizontal Sync  (measured in kHz)
Vertical Refresh (measured in Hz)

Then adjust your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.  Change the following lines to match
your monitor.

HorizSync
VertRefresh

Once changed, you have to restart X.

Also, when you see "static interference" on your monitor, this is rwally bad
for it and can damage it.  If it happens, quickly turn off the monitor, and
hit ctrl-alt-backspace to exit out of X.  Then you can turn your monitor
back on.

--

John Taylor