Multiple Ultra66 controllers

Post by Peter Brueleman » Fri, 21 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Is it possible to use 2 Promise Ultra66 controllers in one system?

I want to set up a system with 4 15GB disks in RAID 5 (software raid).

The software raid howto says that it's not a good idea to put 2 disks on
the same IDE-bus.  That's why i need to use 2 controllers.

Multiple Ultra66 controllers

Post by LhD Administrato » Fri, 21 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Is it possible to use 2 Promise Ultra66 controllers in one system?

Yes, although why not just use SCSI if you care about performance and
RAID?

--
LhD Administrator
Linux Hardware Database

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Request for help: Booting from Promise Ultra66 controller

I'd like to use a Promise Ultra66 controller as a direct replacement
for my onboard IDE.  Has anyone found an easy way to do this?

I have one disk with the partitions (in the original setup):
  /dev/hda1 /boot
  /dev/hda5 (swap)
  /dev/hda6 /

Currently I'm using kernel 2.2.16 with the Hendrick's patch.

I tried the following:
1. Compile the kernel with "Boot off-board chipsets first support".
   Didn't do anything!  It still looked for /dev/hda (onboard controller).

2. Add the lines:
     disk=/dev/hde
       bios=0x80
   to lilo.conf.  This is supposed to treat /dev/hde as if it were /dev/hda.
   This didn't work either!  It booted, but got a kernel panic trying to
   find the root filesystem.

Thanks for any help,
  Richard

2. Problem with dosemu-0.60.4

3. Installing RH 5.2 on a 13gb disk with Promise Ultra66 IDE controller card---PLEASE READ

4. Unable to start netstat Segmentation fault

5. Promise Ultra66 controller rumor

6. ioperm and super-user status

7. Promise Ultra66 Controller on Solaris 8 x86

8. PPP?

9. Boot off Promise Ultra66 controller?

10. promise ultra66 hd controller

11. Problem with PCI Ultra66 IDE controller under SuSe 6.0

12. Promise Ultra66 Controller

13. Installing Redhat Linux with a promise ULTRA66 harddrive controller card