Slow CD Ripping in Mandrake 8.1

Post by Brent Haa » Mon, 10 Dec 2001 14:18:14

I have used Linux for quite some time, but have never done any cd
ripping (still holding on to Windoze).  However, since I've installed
Mandrake 8.1, I've burned several CDs (and I like Gcombust).

I have an HP 8100i burner with a 4x-write, 2x-rewrite, and 8x-audio read
(max 24x read of data).  Anyway, using cdparanoia I can only get about
2.7X.  With cdda2wav, it doesn't rip correctly.  I can use Audio Grabber
in windows 2000 and it will rip it at 8x.  When I compare two identical
tracks ripped with cdparanoia and AG--they are the same (using AG's file
compare).

Can anyone explain this?  I even tried this withOUT ide-scsi enabled.
If you need more info, please tell me.

TIA,

Brent

P.S. What is a "cooked" ioctl?

Slow CD Ripping in Mandrake 8.1

Post by Dances With Cro » Tue, 11 Dec 2001 00:35:56

On Sun, 09 Dec 2001 05:18:14 GMT, Brent Haag staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

Quote:>I have an HP 8100i burner with a 4x-write, 2x-rewrite, and 8x-audio
>read (max 24x read of data).  Anyway, using cdparanoia I can only get
>about 2.7X.  With cdda2wav, it doesn't rip correctly.  I can use Audio
>Grabber in windows 2000 and it will rip it at 8x.  When I compare two
>identical tracks ripped with cdparanoia and AG--they are the same
>(using AG's file compare).

They're certainly not bit-for-bit identical, though.  cdparanoia reads
each sector multiple times and by default is very paranoid about looking
for jitter, scratches, and overlap.  You can disable some of this
paranoia with the -Z and -W options to cdparanoia, but read the man page
first to learn exactly what they do.  Disabling paranoia will make the
reads much faster at the expense of quality.

Quote:>P.S. What is a "cooked" ioctl?

cdparanoia supports 3 types of interfaces:  Generic SCSI devices, SCSI
and IDE CD-ROMs, and a "dummy" interface for testing.  The generic SCSI
devices are "raw", and the normal SCSI and IDE CD-ROM interfaces are
"cooked".

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

Post by Brent Haa » Tue, 11 Dec 2001 05:51:59

> On Sun, 09 Dec 2001 05:18:14 GMT, Brent Haag staggered into the Black
> Sun and said:

>>I have an HP 8100i burner with a 4x-write, 2x-rewrite, and 8x-audio
>>read (max 24x read of data).  Anyway, using cdparanoia I can only get
>>about 2.7X.  With cdda2wav, it doesn't rip correctly.  I can use Audio
>>Grabber in windows 2000 and it will rip it at 8x.  When I compare two
>>identical tracks ripped with cdparanoia and AG--they are the same
>>(using AG's file compare).

> They're certainly not bit-for-bit identical, though.  cdparanoia reads
> each sector multiple times and by default is very paranoid about looking
> for jitter, scratches, and overlap.  You can disable some of this
> paranoia with the -Z and -W options to cdparanoia, but read the man page
> first to learn exactly what they do.  Disabling paranoia will make the
> reads much faster at the expense of quality.

I tried it again with the -Z flag (I didn't see a -W, though).  It
ripped very fast, about 8x.  When I compare (using GNU's diff and cmp
utility), it doesn't show any differences, i.e. it is bit-for-bit
identical to the one done with paranoia (and AG).

I couldn't get cdda2wav to rip at 8x, I even used the -S flag.  Oh well,
at least cdparanoia will do it fast (and at same quality if paranoia was
applied).

Thanks for you help.

Brent

1. Unable to play CDs from Mandrake 8.1

I have been runnign Mandrake 8.1 for a month now. The lone
problem I still have is I am unable to play music CDs. I can insert
data CDs and retreive data, but if I try to play a music CD, I get
an error message that says "Unable to access media."

Has anyone seen or heard of this before?

Joe Cipale

2. Using LILO with Windows NT?

3. LINUX MANDRAKE 8.1 CDs 2 and 3

4. INFO on GOPHER NEEDED!

5. Mandrake 8.1 versus CD-ROM

6. Linux 1.0.9 slowing down.

7. Mandrake 8.1 ISO CD for SRPMS?

8. Why won't search engines find our virtual hosts?

9. Can't play audio CDs in Mandrake 8.1

10. Plextor Cd-Rewriter 40x12x40x PX-W4012TA under Linux Mandrake 8.1?

11. How to Install Mandrake 8.1 w/out CD-ROM and w/out Floppy Drive?

12. Install Mandrake 8.1 w/out CD-ROM and w/out floppy drive?

13. Kernel panic mounting CD-RW in Mandrake 8.1 (Via c hipset issue?)