Difference between voice modem and telephony modem

Difference between voice modem and telephony modem

Post by Salmo Byt » Wed, 26 Nov 2003 23:12:48

I'm trying to put a system together for a quadripledgic friend, where my
friend can use the same headset and microphone to do two things:
a) run voice recognition software on the cpu (to run programs, surf the web,etc)
b) make phone calls.

After looking around in the disabled news groups, it seems as if many
wheelchair people (who can't move their hands) have chosen "voice activated
modems" for making phone calls.  But these voice activated modems cannot
easily be controlled by a separate, external voice recognition system
(like ViaVoice, from IBM). So they have to change headsets to make a phone
call (one microphone plugged into the voice modem, another microphone
plugged into the sound card). But people who can't move their hands can't
change headsets. So they need help for each task.

Are these voice modems the source of the problem? Do voice modems respond
to an analog voice signal, when what's needed is digital control?

What is a voice modem?
What is a telephony modem?

Difference between voice modem and telephony modem

Post by Noi » Thu, 27 Nov 2003 04:30:34

Quote:> I'm trying to put a system together for a quadripledgic friend, where my
> friend can use the same headset and microphone to do two things: a) run
> voice recognition software on the cpu (to run programs, surf the
> web,etc) b) make phone calls.

> After looking around in the disabled news groups, it seems as if many
> wheelchair people (who can't move their hands) have chosen "voice
> activated modems" for making phone calls.  But these voice activated
> modems cannot easily be controlled by a separate, external voice
> recognition system (like ViaVoice, from IBM). So they have to change
> headsets to make a phone call (one microphone plugged into the voice
> modem, another microphone plugged into the sound card). But people who
> can't move their hands can't change headsets. So they need help for each
> task.

> Are these voice modems the source of the problem? Do voice modems
> respond to an analog voice signal, when what's needed is digital
> control?

> What is a voice modem?
> What is a telephony modem?

Would placing a modem in the system and programming ViaVoice or ProComm to
make the outgoing calls work?  There were voice modems available for the
PC, IBM, Intel, Boca, Zoom are the vendors I think sell those modems and
software that will make the calls.  You might consider contact software,
ie, sales call driven software, it's geared for conversations over PC
modems.

I don't think you'd need two headsets if the PC modem supported voice
conversation.  The friend would  need the regular voice activated phones

1. Difference between voice modem and telephony card?

I'm thinking about buying a card for my computer, but I don't know if
I want a voice modem or a telephony card, because I don't know the
difference is between the two.  Here is a least of features I may be
interested in Can you tell me which are supported on voice modems and
which are supported for telephony cards.

receive calls
make calls
digitize audio
play digitized audio
generate MF tones (key tones)
detect MF tones (key tones)

 Steven Feil           | Gram-pa, back at the turn of the      .~.
 Programmer/Developer  | century, why did people use an        /V\

                       | allowed to see the source code?      (X_X)

2. C99 initializers for mm

3. IP-telephony getaway based on voice modem?

4. RFC: new /dev/tty* semantics

5. Difference between Voice and Data modems??

6. Looking for pointers on how to harden my firewall

7. modem trouble: USR 56K V.90 voice fax modem

8. Help - install Solaris and SunOS on Sparcbook2/ Solaris 2.4/5 ?

9. Modem problem - External US Robotics Voice modem

10. Modem problem - USR 56K Voice Win modem

11. Voice Modem Voice Mail Suggestion

12. Any voice mail apps for Sportster 28.8 Voice Mail modem?

13. Looking for voice modem that can dial while already connected (in voice mode)