Dual processor and AMD

Post by Alain BURE » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Is it true that AMD K6 processors don't support SMP ? So, no dual AMD
processor motherboard ?
I heard that K7 will allow it, but K6 prices are so lowwwwwwwww....

Alain BURET
Belgium

Dual processor and AMD

Post by Mike Fris » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>Is it true that AMD K6 processors don't support SMP ? So, no dual AMD
>processor motherboard ?

That is correct.

Quote:>I heard that K7 will allow it, but K6 prices are so lowwwwwwwww....

Yes, the K7 does support SMP.

Mike.

  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

Dual processor and AMD

Post by Mirce » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Is it true that AMD K6 processors don't support SMP ? So, no dual AMD
> processor motherboard ?
> I heard that K7 will allow it, but K6 prices are so lowwwwwwwww....

> Alain BURET
> Belgium

Actually, the K6-2/III _does_ support SMP; it's just that it also needs
support from the motherboard chipset, and none of the chipsets available
provide it. K7 also supports SMP, and this time, there is support in the
chipset as well.

MST

Dual processor and AMD

Post by Alain BURE » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Do you know a manufacturer of such stuffs ?

Alain BURET

> > Is it true that AMD K6 processors don't support SMP ? So, no dual AMD
> > processor motherboard ?
> > I heard that K7 will allow it, but K6 prices are so lowwwwwwwww....

> > Alain BURET
> > Belgium

> Actually, the K6-2/III _does_ support SMP; it's just that it also needs
> support from the motherboard chipset, and none of the chipsets available
> provide it. K7 also supports SMP, and this time, there is support in the
> chipset as well.

> MST

1. AMD Dual processors & Linux????

Hello all,

I've been looking into buying a new server.  It will be used for
apache, php, and mysql to server dynamic web content.  I saw a good
article that compared dual processor xeons, PIIIs, and AMD MP chips.

http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1483&p=1

The article praised the AMD setup so I thought I would give it a try.
However, I will be running Linux and since this is a new setup, I
would like to know if this configuration is supported by Linux.  When
I say supported, I mean is it stable for use on a production system.
The system will have two AMD 1.2Ghz MP chips and a Tyan Thunder K7
mother board.  I'm thinking about using 1GB of PC2100 266Mhz ECC DDR
SDRAM (registered).  Can anyone shed some light on whether or not this
will work with Linux?

-- tale

2. SLIP problem with pl14 and dip 3.3.7

3. Best Dual Processor board and processor

4. Red Hat 6 & Gnome startup apps

5. dual processor vs faster single processor

6. cf nym -harmless

7. Dual processor to single processor!!

8. AdvanSys 2940UW Problems

9. convert kernel from dual processor to single processor

10. Matrox Mystique ands X.

11. AMD processor upgrade

12. Anyone had any problems with Cyrix 686/AMD K5 processors?

13. SBU/EBS client for AMD processors