Will NEC Superscript 860 print under Linux

Will NEC Superscript 860 print under Linux

Post by Mike Giorda » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Just a quick question regarding the NEC Superscript 860 laser printer.  I am considering purchasing this printer and would like feedback regarding its usability under Linux.  I know it supports PCL 4.5, but will it also print in 600 dpi mode?  Any feedback appreciated. You can reply here or directly to my email address.  Thanks.

Mike

Post by Tim McBray » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>Just a quick question regarding the NEC Superscript 860 laser printer.
>I am considering purchasing this printer and would like feedback regarding
>its usability under Linux.  I know it supports PCL 4.5, but will it also print
>in 600 dpi mode?  Any feedback appreciated. You can reply here or directly to
>my email address.  Thanks.

I have one of these.  Under Linux it acts as a standard PCL printer, at
300dpi.  I believe that PCL 5.0 or higher is required for 600dpi.  In any
case, the higher resolution of this printer is only available from the Windows
GDI interface, and not from Linux.  It works well at the lower resolution,
though.  I've not had a problem printing postscript to it.

 [Posted and mailed.]

1. NEC 860 SuperScript Printing

Hi,

I use suse71

I set up a nec 860 printer conected to a windows pc. i used to be able to
access it via samba on my linux pc. recently when trying to print to it,
the printer goes mad and prints lots of sheets of paper with a a few lines
of the print job on the top of each sheet. However, the printer works fine
through linux.

any ideas?

2. how do I protect my files from being linked to other sites?

3. Any one use NEC SuperScript 660 or 860 printer with Linux??

4. Kernel hooks

5. NEC SuperScript 860 Printer on Linux...

6. Cursor placement in KDE using active desktop boarders

7. Anyone with NEC SuperScript 860 printer under Linux

8. NAT and bind

9. NEC SuperScript 860 driver?

10. NEC SuperScript 860

11. What's better: NEC Superscript 860 / HP LJ 5L

12. NEC Superscript 860 printer

13. NEC Superscript 860