Problems with Yamaha 4416S

Post by Brian Rile » Sat, 09 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I have been running Red Hat 6 for awhile now and use primarily SCSI
devices. All have worked fine. I recently added a Yamaha 4416S to the
system and now Linux won't get past the detection screen. My
configuration is as follows;

Iwill SCSI controller (Initio 9100UW) - ID7
IBM 2.2GB UW HD - internal - ID0
Plextor 40TW CD-ROM - internal - ID1
Seagate 2.2GB SCSI2 HD - external - ID2
Plextor 412C CDR - External - ID3
Yamaha 4416S - Internal - ID4

The external drives are 50 pin and are terminated with an external
Active terminator. The internal drives are on a 68 pin cable and are
Active terminated on the IBM's 80-68 adapter at the end of the chain.
The Yamaha uses a 68-50 adapter. All drives work in Win 95B but I must
disconnect the Yamaha to fully boot Linux.

Has anyone seen this problem?

Remove "-nospam" from email address for email reply.

Problems with Yamaha 4416S

Post by r.. » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I have been running Red Hat 6 for awhile now and
use primarily SCSI
> devices. All have worked fine. I recently added

a Yamaha 4416S to the
Quote:> system and now Linux won't get past the

detection screen. My
Quote:> configuration is as follows;

> Iwill SCSI controller (Initio 9100UW) - ID7
> IBM 2.2GB UW HD - internal - ID0
> Plextor 40TW CD-ROM - internal - ID1
> Seagate 2.2GB SCSI2 HD - external - ID2
> Plextor 412C CDR - External - ID3
> Yamaha 4416S - Internal - ID4

> The external drives are 50 pin and are

terminated with an external
Quote:> Active terminator. The internal drives are on a

68 pin cable and are
Quote:> Active terminated on the IBM's 80-68 adapter at

the end of the chain.
Quote:> The Yamaha uses a 68-50 adapter. All drives work

in Win 95B but I must

Quote:> disconnect the Yamaha to fully boot Linux.

> Has anyone seen this problem?

I got this problem with a Yamaha CRW6416S and the
same Iwill SCSI card. If possible unset the
CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN option in the SCSI support
kernel config. Otherwise you will need to edit
drivers/scsi/scsi.c and add a line like:
{"YAMAHA", "CRW6416S", "1.0c", BLIST_NOLUN},
to the dev_info_device_list.

Mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Problems with Yamaha 4416S

Post by Brent Willco » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Iwill SCSI controller (Initio 9100UW) - ID7
> IBM 2.2GB UW HD - internal - ID0
> Plextor 40TW CD-ROM - internal - ID1
> Seagate 2.2GB SCSI2 HD - external - ID2
> Plextor 412C CDR - External - ID3
> Yamaha 4416S - Internal - ID4

> The external drives are 50 pin and are terminated with an external
> Active terminator. The internal drives are on a 68 pin cable and are
> Active terminated on the IBM's 80-68 adapter at the end of the chain.
> The Yamaha uses a 68-50 adapter. All drives work in Win 95B but I must
> disconnect the Yamaha to fully boot Linux.

> Has anyone seen this problem?

I might be able to help you.

I added a Initio controller when I bought my Yamaha 4416-S, every time I
loaded the initio.o module it would hang.  It seems to think that the Yamaha
is a multi-LUN device even though it is not.  Probably a bug in the initio
driver.

I think I had to add a LILO option to disable the multiple LUN support.
Unfortunately I am not in front of my Linux system right now so I can't
confirm this.  Doing so had no ill effects, as there are more scsi devices
on the chain and they work properly.

-------------
Brent Willcox
University of North Texas (student)
mail: bwillcox at jove acs unt edu
***The Network is The Computer****

Problems with Yamaha 4416S

Post by QuestionExchang » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Iwill SCSI controller (Initio 9100UW) - ID7
> IBM 2.2GB UW HD - internal - ID0
> Plextor 40TW CD-ROM - internal - ID1
> Seagate 2.2GB SCSI2 HD - external - ID2
> Plextor 412C CDR - External - ID3
> Yamaha 4416S - Internal - ID4

> The external drives are 50 pin and are terminated with an
external
> Active terminator. The internal drives are on a 68 pin cable
and are
> Active terminated on the IBM's 80-68 adapter at the end of
the chain.
> The Yamaha uses a 68-50 adapter. All drives work in Win 95B
but I must
> disconnect the Yamaha to fully boot Linux.

> Has anyone seen this problem?

I _think_ your problem might be related to a small problem I
had, when I recently added another SCSI disk to my system. My
kernel was compiled with "Probe all LUNs" set to Yes, and the
new disk paniced and locked up the scsi bus on boot for all
devices. I wasn't able to boot.
(Probe all LUNs on each SCSI device
 CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN)
If your kernel has this enabled, to try disable it and
recompile. It worked for me.
(It may also be a cabling problem - though unlikely, since your
problem is a consistent failure in linux and no problem in
windows)
--Erik I. Bols?

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=4961&cus...

Problems with Yamaha 4416S

Post by Brian Rile » Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I have been running Red Hat 6 for awhile now and use primarily SCSI
> devices. All have worked fine. I recently added a Yamaha 4416S to the
> system and now Linux won't get past the detection screen. My
> configuration is as follows;

> Iwill SCSI controller (Initio 9100UW) - ID7
> IBM 2.2GB UW HD - internal - ID0
> Plextor 40TW CD-ROM - internal - ID1
> Seagate 2.2GB SCSI2 HD - external - ID2
> Plextor 412C CDR - External - ID3
> Yamaha 4416S - Internal - ID4

> The external drives are 50 pin and are terminated with an external
> Active terminator. The internal drives are on a 68 pin cable and are
> Active terminated on the IBM's 80-68 adapter at the end of the chain.
> The Yamaha uses a 68-50 adapter. All drives work in Win 95B but I must
> disconnect the Yamaha to fully boot Linux.

> Has anyone seen this problem?

> Remove "-nospam" from email address for email reply.

Thanks for the replys. I added "max_scsi_lun=1" to my lilo.conf and it
works fine now.

Brian T. Riley

Problems with Yamaha 4416S

Post by Helmut Wenzl » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999 14:45:07 +0200, =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=E9bastien?=

>Hi,
>I had also problem to make my 6416s run with Linux and
>my ioi-4203a.
>To make it work I had to enable asynchronous transfer
>for all device with smart940.exe DOS config util.

>Seb.

Hi
I didnt't read the original message so I dont't know which problem you
had.
I have the problem that the booting process stops at the scsi
controller and infinite loops at the Yamaha 6416 (the other devices
are recognised correct.
If this was also your problem can you please give me a tip where to
find smart940?

thank you

Heli

1. Problems with Yamaha 4416s CDRW w/ Adaptec 1460 under Linux

I'm trying to connect a Yamaha 4416s CDRW through an Adaptec 1460
PCMCIA SCSI controller to my laptop (WinBook XL) running RedHat Linux.

This is my first experience with PCMCIA and SCSI under linux, but I
think I have gotten everything set up properly.  I have a 3CCOM 3C589D
ethernet card functioning flawlessly and I can access a SCSI zip drive.

However, I'm getting some bizarre problems with the Yamaha CDRW.  When
I boot with the CDR drive off, Linux comes up fine.  When I boot with
the drive on, it "hangs" while the CDR is being probed.  The following
message appears before the "hang":

scsi0 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 1.18 $
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: YAMAHA    Model: CRW4416S          Rev: 1.0e
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02

It will sit like this until I power down the CDR, at which point the
following message appears and the bootup continues:

scsi0 channel 0 : resetting for second half of retries.
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.

If I do this, however, the PCMCIA card services package unloads all
support for the Adaptec card.

I have found numerous messages on Deja-News of people have similar
problems with the 152x ISA card with several devices, but the Yam
4416s seems to have similar problems quite frequently.  Unfortunately,
I was unable to locate any *solutions* to the problem.

If anyone has experienced a similar problem, how did you solve it?
Any suggestions at all would be appreciated at this point.  Also, if
you *have* gotten the Yam 4416s working with the 152x driver, with out
without fiddling with it, I'd like to hear that under some
circumstances it can be made to work.

-p.

2. HOWTO: becoming a dial-up PPP server, enabling PPP login?

3. problem with yamaha 4416S

4. Want to add swap and repartition

5. mgetty + Zyxel ISDN?

6. yamaha 4416s problem ?

7. USERADD on remote system

8. cd-rom YAMAHA CRW 4416S; problems with installation and after

9. Yamaha 4416 CD-RW mount problem

10. SCSI detection Problem (Tekram DC390 & Yamaha 4416S)

11. QUE: SCSI Yamaha 4416S not recognised

12. yamaha 4416S and Adaptec AHA2940