Buy a computer WITHOUT RedHat

Post by Mark P. Nelso » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Do any of the vendors sell a good multi-processor Linux server
with SOMETHING OTHER THAN REDHAT?  Anything?  Please?  (And Caldera
doesn't count).

--
Mark P. Nelson, Programmer/Analyst
Department of Integrative Biology, Thomson Laboratory

Post by Nyralote » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Do any of the vendors sell a good multi-processor Linux server
> with SOMETHING OTHER THAN REDHAT?  Anything?  Please?  (And Caldera
> doesn't count).

> --
> Mark P. Nelson, Programmer/Analyst
> Department of Integrative Biology, Thomson Laboratory
> Clotho, Lachesis, Atropos         --         the only sysadmins that matter

Suse, Mandrake, Debian, Slackware and many more distributions of Linux.
I personally like Suse and have it as my only OS now and it was fairly
easy to setup.  I know Debian is the one with the most packages
included.  Mandrake is Redhat optimized for the Pentium processor.  Look
around because many of the distributions do not get as much press as
Redhat and Caldera but are just as good once properly setup.

Buy a computer WITHOUT RedHat

:>
:
: Suse, Mandrake, Debian, Slackware and many more distributions of Linux.
: I personally like Suse and have it as my only OS now and it was fairly
: easy to setup.  I know Debian is the one with the most packages
: included.  Mandrake is Redhat optimized for the Pentium processor.  Look
: around because many of the distributions do not get as much press as
: Redhat and Caldera but are just as good once properly setup.

Thanks, but I'm looking for a _hardware_ vendor.

--
Mark P. Nelson, Programmer/Analyst
Department of Integrative Biology, Thomson Laboratory
Clotho, Lachesis, Atropos         --         the only sysadmins that matter

Buy a computer WITHOUT RedHat

Post by Gerald Willman » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Thanks, but I'm looking for a _hardware_ vendor.

www.indybox.com offers hardware (only tyan mobos if I recall correctly)
with a choice of distributions. A colleague just received a machine with
debian installed.
                        Gerald

--

Post by Carl Fi » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>Thanks, but I'm looking for a _hardware_ vendor.

VA Research contributes to the Debian Project, so presumably they
sell systems with Debian Linux.  They may not be standard, but if you
ask I recall they'll use any distro you want.
--

"This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy."
        -Martin Luther on Copernicus' theory that the Earth orbits the sun

Buy a computer WITHOUT RedHat

Post by gnu_u.. » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hello, the college here has a VA server running Debian, VA is probably
one of the more expensive hardware suppliers, BUT, from what I was
told, they give excellent service and support for their systems.
Hope this helps,  I could probably get you contacted with someone here
at the college if you wish.

In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.9909162038400.28208-

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Nils Frees » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> :>
> :> Do any of the vendors sell a good multi-processor Linux server
> :> with SOMETHING OTHER THAN REDHAT?  Anything?  Please?  (And Caldera
> :> doesn't count).
> :
> : Suse, [...]

> Thanks, but I'm looking for a _hardware_ vendor.

Lookput for SuSE & VA-Research

<http://www.suse.com/Partner/var.html>

or SuSE themselves:

<http://www.suse.de/suse_comp/index.html>

regards,
        Nils

Buy a computer WITHOUT RedHat

Post by Mark P. Nelso » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Many thanks to all who have replied.

I was giving up on VAResearch because their web pages only mention RedHat
in conjunction with the server I want, and their OS ftp site only has
their tweaked version of RH on it.  I'll give them a call and ask about
other distributions.

I did not know about IndyBox, and they also look quite promising.

Back to research--have to spend the money before the budget runs out!

Thanks again!

--
Mark P. Nelson, Programmer/Analyst
Department of Integrative Biology, Thomson Laboratory
Clotho, Lachesis, Atropos         --         the only sysadmins that matter

Buy a computer WITHOUT RedHat

Post by Christopher Brow » Mon, 20 Sep 1999 04:00:00

On 17 Sep 1999 18:31:49 GMT, Mark P. Nelson

>I did not know about IndyBox, and they also look quite promising.

You might look at the URL below; there are a whopping lot of vendors
out there.

I'd be pleased if something like the "Linux VAR HOWTO" grabbed all the
URLs I list, thus obviating the value in having such a list, but that
HOWTO appears to have been inactive for a good long time.
--
The Three Laws of Thermodynamics:
   1) You can't win, only lose or break even.

Buy a computer WITHOUT RedHat

Post by Mark Po » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

-snip-

Quote:>I'd be pleased if something like the "Linux VAR HOWTO" grabbed all the
>URLs I list, thus obviating the value in having such a list, but that
>HOWTO appears to have been inactive for a good long time.

Hmmm.  The latest copy I have that came with Slackware 4.0 was dated March
7th, 1999.  That sounds fairly current.  Have you tried emailing the
maintainer with your URLs?

Mark Post

To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

Post by Mark P. Nelso » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

: On 17 Sep 1999 18:31:49 GMT, Mark P. Nelson
:>I did not know about IndyBox, and they also look quite promising.

: You might look at the URL below; there are a whopping lot of vendors
: out there.

Thanks--loads of useful pointers here.

--

Post by Christopher Brow » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>-snip-
>>I'd be pleased if something like the "Linux VAR HOWTO" grabbed all the
>>URLs I list, thus obviating the value in having such a list, but that
>>HOWTO appears to have been inactive for a good long time.

>Hmmm.  The latest copy I have that came with Slackware 4.0 was dated March
>7th, 1999.  That sounds fairly current.  Have you tried emailing the
>maintainer with your URLs?

It's been a while since the last time I did so; haven't seen any response.

--
"The best design is not predicated on how brain-dead you can be and
still operate it." -- David C. Wright

1. install linux on old computer or buy pre-installed new computer?

Two questions:

1.  Whether to, how to (if at all possible) install linux on an older
Pentium 266 mhz, 64 mb ram, with 6 gb hard drive, 36.6 US Robotics
modem, Diamond Monster Sound MX400 card, and Canon S450 printer.  This
machine is USB.  (Does the latest kernel even support USB?)  Everthing
except the sound card and printer is *old*...

2.  Would it be easier to just buy a new machine with linux already
installed on it?  I've seen a number of decent machines at less than
$500 advertised at ZDnet.com.

If I can save myself $500 I would, but if linux doesn't support the
older parts on this computer I'm willing to spend that much.

Please send replies to my e-mail address.

Thank you,

Joomi Lee

2. Port forwarding Web port (80)

3. telneting into a computer without a monitor and without a keyboard

4. Get Erros in running Linux Configure

5. BUY STOCKS ON MONDAY, I want to buy linux stock on Monday, what should I buy ?

6. mod_webapp for apache 2

7. Remeber BUY MSFT=BUY USA=BUY AMERICAN, not commie monster SCAM linux

8. State of the pins DCD and RI from a grap serial

9. If Slackware includes Redhat, why buy Redhat?

10. buying a new computer, here's the hardware

11. Buying new computer. what video card?

12. wanna buy a $200 Linux computer?

13. Beware buying from House of Computers