Which SCSI card for Linux ?

Post by Sven Bovi » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi all

I'm planning to buy a SCSI card for my dual boot box (Linux/
Win98) and I would appreciate your advice.  On short term,
things like scanner, zip, CD-ROM/R/RW, DVD (?) are to be
connected to this card, on longer term, I also plan SCSI
hard disks.

I was very interested in the Adaptec 2930U2 card (it has
Speedflex, and that seems like an advantage), but Adaptec
has gotten a lot of bad publicity on this news group lately.

What card should I buy ?

Thanks in advance

Sven Bovin

 labo kwantumchemie |IJzerenmolenstr 26|
 Celestijnenln 200F |   bus 116        |Wampenberg 88
 B-3001 HEVERLEE    |B-3001 HEVERLEE   |B-2370 ARENDONK
  Belgium           | Belgium          |Belgium
 tel +32(0)16 327380|                  |tel +32(0)14 678310
 fax +32(0)16 327992|                  |fax +32(0)14 678310

Which SCSI card for Linux ?

Adaptec 2940U2W is the best choice for Linux.

--
Boian Ikonomov
Senior SysAdmin

Which SCSI card for Linux ?

Post by Michael Zillic » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > Hi all

> > I'm planning to buy a SCSI card for my dual boot box (Linux/
> > Win98) and I would appreciate your advice.  On short term,
> > things like scanner, zip, CD-ROM/R/RW, DVD (?) are to be
> > connected to this card, on longer term, I also plan SCSI
> > hard disks.

> > I was very interested in the Adaptec 2930U2 card (it has
> > Speedflex, and that seems like an advantage), but Adaptec
> > has gotten a lot of bad publicity on this news group lately.

i am using an Initio SCSI adapter (INITIO 9100-UW).
it was much cheaper than the Adaptec (about half the price).
and it works fine, never gave me any trouble.
i have a hard drive and a CD-ROM connected.

michael

--

Institute of Flexible Automation    web:   http://www.infa.tuwien.ac.at
Vienna University of Technology     phone: +43/1/5041446-12

Which SCSI card for Linux ?

Post by Johan Kullsta » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Hi all

> I'm planning to buy a SCSI card for my dual boot box (Linux/
> Win98) and I would appreciate your advice.  On short term,
> things like scanner, zip, CD-ROM/R/RW, DVD (?) are to be
> connected to this card, on longer term, I also plan SCSI
> hard disks.

> I was very interested in the Adaptec 2930U2 card (it has
> Speedflex, and that seems like an advantage), but Adaptec
> has gotten a lot of bad publicity on this news group lately.

adaptec has good cards.  however, adaptec has high prices.

avoid the 2930u2 since it has only one bus segment.  it is useful for a
system having only u2w/lvd equipment (for now, this means exclusively
new scsi hard drives).  once you attach a single ended device to it,
scanner, zip, cd-rom &c, the whole bus on this card becomes single
ended.  you lose u2w/lvd.  everthing goes to uw.  you may as well get
a plain uw card and save a bundle of money.  i cannot recommend this
card and it's especially bad for you since you are starting with a
pile of single-ended equipment right off the bat.

Quote:> What card should I buy ?

if you don't care about having a dozen hard drives on a long cable
then a simple ultra (wide) card will do just fine.

here are some recommended cards.

card             type   cost
tekram dc-390f   uw      $70
symbios 8751sp   uw      $60
adaptec 2940uw   uw     $140

performance is equivalent.  i've got both adaptec 2940uw and the
symbios 8751sp (btw symbios and tekram use same chipset) -- there is
no difference in performance.  why pay more?

hard drives in scsi are a bad price/performance deal.  unless your ide
controllers are filled, you can get a lot of eide hard drive with
great performance (within epsilon of scsi) for a lot less money.

ultra-wide is enough to handle a couple of scsi hard disks (disk
sustained read rate is only up to 20MB/sec or so despite a 40MB/sec or
greater interface).  for lots of hard disks or a long cable, then lvd
makes sense.

if you want to expand to lvd hard drives too, make sure that you get a
card with multiple bus segments.

some cards
tekram dc-390u2w (not dc-390u2b)  u2w/lvd       $140
adaptec 2940u2w (not 2930u2)      u2w/lvd       $200

again, the tekram beats adaptec in price for equivalent performance.

these are on-line prices.  i suggest you shop on-line due to selection
and price.  not every shop (like compusa) carries tekram.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m

Don't Fear the Penguin!

Which SCSI card for Linux ?

Post by Walter B Kulecz, P » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>Adaptec 2940U2W is the best choice for Linux.

I'd debate that in this case.

Looks like he's starting out with only narrow and rather slow devices.
I suggest a generic Symbios/NCR 53C810 based card for about $30-40
from web vendors.  Add a wide controller when he adds the SCSI hard
drives.  Wide and narrow slow devices do not play well together. Add
in the fact that his scanner is probably external and it becomes
almost impossible to stay within the total bus length limit of
ultra-wide,  pretty much forcing the use of two controllers or forcing
the wide drives to run slow to overcome cable length problems.

In my experience mixing wide and narrow devices has been far more
trouble than its worth seeing how a good PCI narrow controller
(53C810) can be had for ~$35.  Unless you absoultely can't find a free
slot,  plan on dual SCSI eventually, and even so, paying a premium for
a dual SCSI on a single PCI card is probably worth it in the long run
if you have to mix wide and narrow or internal and external devices.

--wally.

>> Hi all

>> I'm planning to buy a SCSI card for my dual boot box (Linux/
>> Win98) and I would appreciate your advice.  On short term,
>> things like scanner, zip, CD-ROM/R/RW, DVD (?) are to be
>> connected to this card, on longer term, I also plan SCSI
>> hard disks.

>> I was very interested in the Adaptec 2930U2 card (it has
>> Speedflex, and that seems like an advantage), but Adaptec
>> has gotten a lot of bad publicity on this news group lately.

Which SCSI card for Linux ?

Post by Matt Garm » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999 11:00:12 +0100, Sven Bovin

> I'm planning to buy a SCSI card for my dual boot box (Linux/
> Win98) and I would appreciate your advice.  On short term,
> things like scanner, zip, CD-ROM/R/RW, DVD (?) are to be
> connected to this card, on longer term, I also plan SCSI
> hard disks.

> What card should I buy ?

How about the Mylex (formerly Buslogic) BT-950?  I thought the Mylex
cards were supposed to be the better supported cards under Linux, and
are supposed to be good performers as well.

Is this still the case?

MG

--

"And through the window in the wall
 Come streaming in on sunlight wings

Which SCSI card for Linux ?

Post by Jon E. Game » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I have an Adaptec 2940UW (Ultra Wide supports up to 14 Devices) on three
of my
Dell computers and they work flawlessly.  Right now I only have hard
drives connected
to the SCSI host adapter so I can't tell you about things like scanners,
etc.  I don't know
all the technical details to the level that the other respondents do.
All I know is I have 5 computers and three of them have Adaptec 2940UW
host adapters in them running
Red Hat 6.0 and they run great.  Never had a problem.  I just bought
another Adaptec
2940UW yesterday.  It was the 2940UW pro kit.  I guess the kit includes
the 68 pin
and 50 pin cable for wide and narrow devices.  The price for this was
$299 from PCzone on the internet.  Pretty pricey if you include the cost
of a SCSI hard drive.

        Check out www.tekram.com

--

   One of the great lies of our age is the myth that
   Microsoft has somehow managed to turn these random

Which SCSI card for Linux ?

Post by j.. » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>On Wed, 15 Dec 1999 11:00:12 +0100, Sven Bovin

>> I'm planning to buy a SCSI card for my dual boot box (Linux/
>> Win98) and I would appreciate your advice.  On short term,
>> things like scanner, zip, CD-ROM/R/RW, DVD (?) are to be
>> connected to this card, on longer term, I also plan SCSI
>> hard disks.

>> What card should I buy ?

>How about the Mylex (formerly Buslogic) BT-950?  I thought the Mylex
>cards were supposed to be the better supported cards under Linux, and
>are supposed to be good performers as well.

>Is this still the case?

        Mylex seems to concentrate on higher end products.
        They're more of a RAID controller company rather
        than a consumer SCSI card vendor. Although, their
        cards are well supported.

        The BT-950 is not U2, does not have multiple channels
        or even 'multiple busses' and is relatively expensive
        if you're only interested in a single SCSI3 or SCSI2
        channel.

--

   One of the great lies of our age is the myth that
   Microsoft has somehow managed to turn these random
   collections of spare parts known as PC clones into            |||
   the equivalent of a Macintosh.                               / | \

Which SCSI card for Linux ?

Post by Ferdinand V. Mendoz » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi Johan,
If say,
I'll settle for a Tekram dc-390u2w (not dc-390u2b)  u2w/lvd,
can you please also, recommend a compatible tape drive
and CDRW for this adapter that would not ruin my future plans of
running only on u2w devices I'm planning
to invest clean on these right from the start.
Are they available in the market now? If so,
can you name them?
Thanks.

Ferdinand

> here are some recommended cards.

> some cards
> tekram dc-390u2w (not dc-390u2b)  u2w/lvd       $140
> adaptec 2940u2w (not 2930u2)      u2w/lvd       $200

> again, the tekram beats adaptec in price for equivalent performance.

> these are on-line prices.  i suggest you shop on-line due to selection
> and price.  not every shop (like compusa) carries tekram.

> --
> J o h a n  K u l l s t a m

> Don't Fear the Penguin!

Which SCSI card for Linux ?

Post by davefl.. » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I concur.  I love my 2940U2W (on a Linux/Samba server).  One of the
great things about it is it can simultaneously handle Ultra, Ultra-Wide,
and Ultra-2 devices.  This is really great if you plan to have a variety
of devices and add new ones in the future.

Regards,

David Flory

> Adaptec 2940U2W is the best choice for Linux.

> > Hi all

> > I'm planning to buy a SCSI card for my dual boot box (Linux/
> > Win98) and I would appreciate your advice.  On short term,
> > things like scanner, zip, CD-ROM/R/RW, DVD (?) are to be
> > connected to this card, on longer term, I also plan SCSI
> > hard disks.

> > I was very interested in the Adaptec 2930U2 card (it has
> > Speedflex, and that seems like an advantage), but Adaptec
> > has gotten a lot of bad publicity on this news group lately.

> --
> Boian Ikonomov
> Senior SysAdmin
> Prolink Ltd.

Which SCSI card for Linux ?

Post by rahra » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Hi all

> I'm planning to buy a SCSI card for my dual boot box (Linux/
> Win98) and I would appreciate your advice.  On short term,
> things like scanner, zip, CD-ROM/R/RW, DVD (?) are to be
> connected to this card, on longer term, I also plan SCSI
> hard disks.

> I was very interested in the Adaptec 2930U2 card (it has
> Speedflex, and that seems like an advantage), but Adaptec
> has gotten a lot of bad publicity on this news group lately.

> What card should I buy ?

> Thanks in advance

> Sven Bovin

I have the Symbios 8751SP and have tried it under
 RH 6.1, Mandrake 6.1, and COL 2.3.  It has worked
great with all my  HD's and CD ROMs.  Also works
great with Win98.  Even tried it with a LVD drive
(with a LVD/SE terminator) and it worked fine.
I just bought a Tekram 390U2W and have hooked
it up to RH 6.1 and so far so good, except the SCSI
activity light does not work under Linux, but works
fine under Win98 (strange).  I have not recompiled
the kernel for the Tekram, just used the Symbios/NCR
53c895 that comes with RH 6.1.  I tried using Tekram's
boot disk, but it would not let me install my 3C509
ether net card (another strange).  If you are not a Linux
maven, and dread recompiling the kernel, and all Linux's
support Adaptec, maybe a 2940U2W may be the best
solution.  If I can't get the Tekram 390U2W to work
flawlessly, I will be getting an Adaptec.  And some can
buy my Tekram real cheap.  My Symbios 8751SP is for
sale real cheap if anyone wants it.

Which SCSI card for Linux ?

Post by Johan Kullsta » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi Johan,
> If say,
> I'll settle for a Tekram dc-390u2w (not dc-390u2b)  u2w/lvd,
> can you please also, recommend a compatible tape drive
> and CDRW for this adapter that would not ruin my future plans of
> running only on u2w devices I'm planning
> to invest clean on these right from the start.
> Are they available in the market now? If so,
> can you name them?
> Thanks.

the dc-390u2w has more than one connector.  while they share scsi id,
they do *not* share electrical signaling.  this means that one
connector can talk lvd/u2w and the other can talk legacy single-ended
scsi.

the point of the dc-390u2w having two bus segments is that you have
single-ended (se) devices (the older style) off one of the cards
connectors *and* lvd/u2w devices off the another card connector *at
the same time and without interfering*.  thus, you can have your
legacy stuff and new hard drives too.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m

Don't Fear the Penguin!

Which SCSI card for Linux ?

Post by Richard N. Hinto » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I have an older Adaptec 2940  with a Toshiba 5701 CDROM, a TEAC R-55s
CDR, and an older IBM 2.1 gig SCSI.  These are all 50 pin devices with
the termination on the Toshiba.  I hear
about single ended, don't know what that is.  I am running SuSE Linux,
OS2/4 and Win98.
I am loking at the Adaptec 2940U2W card which has three internal (2 - 68
pin, one 50 pin) connectors. I check compatibility: It works with SuSE
and OS2/4, and of course Win98.
I want to get a new larger 68 pin IBM SCSI (9.1 gig) hard drive, can I
run both the old and the new on an Adaptec 2940U2W?

Does this "single ended" thing mean only one termination point?  What
about the 68 pin stuff?

Richard N. Hinton

Which SCSI card for Linux ?

Post by Richard Henderso » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

You have single ended (SE) now. SE is for both 50 and 68 pin devices.
LVD (low voltage differential) is only 68 pins and only works with LVD
devices.  Controllers such as the Adaptec 2940U2W and Tekram DC 390U2W
have both SE and LVD.  The Tekram has a internal 50 pin as well as an
internal 68 pin (both SE).  It also has an external 68 pin as well as an
internal 68 pin connector (both LVD).  In other words both the  DC390U2W
and the 2940U2W have 4 connectors and two separate buses (SE & LVD).
You will need to keep LVD devices on the LVD bus and SE devices on the
SE bus.  Placing a SE device on a LVD bus will cause the LVD bus to
revert back to SE speeds. (LVD is 80/160 MB/sec and SE is 5/10/20/40
MB/sec).  You may be helped by going to http://www.scsifaq.org
It has some very useful SCSI info,  however it needs to be updated in the
area of LVD.  And yes you can run both the old and new on the 2940U2W.

Richard Henderson

PS: Nice to see some OS/2 people left, I've been using since OS/2 ver 2.0
I am also using RH 6.1, Mandrake 6.1, and COL 2.3 Linux.

> I have an older Adaptec 2940  with a Toshiba 5701 CDROM, a TEAC R-55s
> CDR, and an older IBM 2.1 gig SCSI.  These are all 50 pin devices with
> the termination on the Toshiba.  I hear
> about single ended, don't know what that is.  I am running SuSE Linux,
> OS2/4 and Win98.
> I am loking at the Adaptec 2940U2W card which has three internal (2 - 68
> pin, one 50 pin) connectors. I check compatibility: It works with SuSE
> and OS2/4, and of course Win98.
> I want to get a new larger 68 pin IBM SCSI (9.1 gig) hard drive, can I
> run both the old and the new on an Adaptec 2940U2W?

> Does this "single ended" thing mean only one termination point?  What
> about the 68 pin stuff?

> Richard N. Hinton

1. Any good'n'cheap SCSI Card for Linux?

Hi there!

It looks like everything is going to SCSI, so I might consider getting
one. Of course, it would have to run under my Linux (BTW, is 2.0.32
kernel OK with SCSI? should I upgrade to 2.0.34?)

Any recomendations?

Which one has a good performance and a decent price ? (let's face it,
I'm not a rich man)

I will appreciate any advice!

Sinner from the Prairy
(Countdown to make the ISDN card work under Linux has begun....)

2. Cheap SCSI tape drive??

3. Fast-Wide SCSI Card for Linux??

4. Suddenly get I/O error with removable hard disk

5. SCSI cards for linux that will work with 386, and also pentium

6. Help setting up X

7. Support for Always AL7000 SCSI card on Linux Universe 3.0

8. problems with ADAPTEC 2940AU

9. Corel LS2000 SCSI Card under Linux?

10. IBM DDYS-T18350, SCSI Cards, and LINUX

11. AHA-1502 (aka AVA-6X60) SCSI cards under Linux 2.2.2???

12. Dual channel SCSI card for Linux?

13. SCSI cards for linux that will work with 386, and also pentium