unrecognized cdrom

Post by David Harnsberge » Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:46:05

Hello,
I'm just getting into this Linux thing.  I have redhat 6.2 all up and
running on my machine and in KDE when I pull up a terminal and try to
mount my cdrom drive with a cd in it, I get the message:

mount: No medium found

but there is a medium (cd) in the drive, so I don't know what to do.
Can anybody help me solve this problem?
thanks a lot,
Dave

unrecognized cdrom

Post by Peter Grac » Thu, 19 Apr 2001 03:30:47

I have a similar problem.
Scsi cdrom drive.
Yellow book CDR in drive.
Kernel 2.2.19 with scsi cdrom support compiled in
On boot, scsi cdrom recognized as sr0
but no /dev/sr0 exists

What is the correct device to sym link /dev/cdrom to in this situation?
cat /proc/devices shows sr

I'll try it with an a CDROM (non-CDR) later today, but if someone
has the correct configuration for this situation, that would be helpful.
73,
--
----------
Peter Grace

--
----------
Peter Grace

unrecognized cdrom

Post by Dances With Cro » Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:30:47

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:30:47 -0400, Peter Grace staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

Quote:>I have a similar problem.
>Scsi cdrom drive.  Yellow book CDR in drive.
>Kernel 2.2.19 with scsi cdrom support compiled in
>On boot, scsi cdrom recognized as sr0 but no /dev/sr0 exists

>What is the correct device to sym link /dev/cdrom to in this situation?
>cat /proc/devices shows sr I'll try it with an a CDROM (non-CDR) later
>today, but if someone has the correct configuration for this situation,
>that would be helpful.

The correct device in this situation is the one with major number 11 and
minor number 0.  There seems to be some confusion over whether /dev/sr0
or /dev/scd0 is the correct name for this device; look in /dev and see
if you can find the one your distro provides.

If neither /dev/scd0 nor /dev/sr0 exists, then do:
  mknod -m644 /dev/sr0 b 11 0
and try it again.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
-----------------------------/    I hit a seg fault....

unrecognized cdrom

Post by Peter Grac » Thu, 19 Apr 2001 19:37:41

`.....

Quote:

> The correct device in this situation is the one with major number 11 and
> minor number 0.  There seems to be some confusion over whether /dev/sr0
> or /dev/scd0 is the correct name for this device; look in /dev and see
> if you can find the one your distro provides.

> If neither /dev/scd0 nor /dev/sr0 exists, then do:
>   mknod -m644 /dev/sr0 b 11 0
> and try it again.  HTH,

I appears to have been the cdrom medium.
After i updated mount and did a reboot
the device seemed to work

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 Apr 17 15:51 cdrom ->
/dev/scd0

brw-------    1 pgrace   disk      11,   0 May  5  1998 scd0

However, the cdr with the image of RedHat 7.1 says that it's unable to
recover the table-of-contents
when I try to mount it.

Perhaps I burned the cd incorrectly.

--
Peter Grace             web:    http://www.gracefamily.net/

Echo Tango
Spam stinks. Don't send me email if you can't figure my email address
out.

1. Unrecognized cdrom

Help, please -

I recently purchased Red Hat v 5.0 to install on my older Dell Pentium
90.  When I try the Red Hat install, it does not list or recognize the
cdrom.  Since the install is from the cdrom, that sort of ends the
installation process?!

The cdrom is a NEC Model CDR-260R.

fwiw:  The DOS drivers from Dell that install this cdrom are from Oak
Technologies - OTI-011 CD-Rom Device Driver, Rev A12-K12B.

This is my first stab at linux, and I'm stuck.  Any assistance will be
most appreciated.

Mike
----
Michael Pomeroy

2. XFreeConfig "Device" for Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM -- it works!

3. unrecognized cdrom

4. Problems logging onto Linux Server

5. Unrecognised CDROM - Help!

6. xtank on linux -anyone?

7. cdrom unrecognized after third HD installed on RH 6.0

8. Salary Survey origin?

9. [Fwd: cdrom unrecognized after third HD installed on RH 6.0]

10. ATAPI Optic Storage 8X CDROM unrecognized

11. Toshiba3401 Adaptec 1542 CDRom Unrecognized

12. Slackware Setup - EIDE CDRom Unrecognized

13. CDROM Unrecognized