Second Hard Disk

Post by Hans » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 22:19:13

Hello,

Properbly I'm doing something wrong, I can't get my second HD to run on my
linux.
The second disk is jumperd as prim. slave, but after a reboot en lilo I got
the message "Press any key to reboot". Si I rebooted a few times but no
succes. The disk is formated in 1 partition as fat32. I also mounted and
jumperd it as sec. master and slave but still no succes. Where does it go
wrong.

Thanks and greetings Hans

Second Hard Disk

Post by Lew Pitch » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 22:49:08

>Hello,

>Properbly I'm doing something wrong, I can't get my second HD to run on my
>linux.
>The second disk is jumperd as prim. slave, but after a reboot en lilo I got
>the message "Press any key to reboot". Si I rebooted a few times but no
>succes. The disk is formated in 1 partition as fat32. I also mounted and
>jumperd it as sec. master and slave but still no succes. Where does it go
>wrong.

If you have two drives on the same IDE channel, it appears that both
drives must be jumpered for the master/slave relationship. In my
experience, systems shipped with a single drive have that drive
jumpered for cable select ("CSEL") rather than master or slave.

Check to see if your primary master drive is actually jumpered as
'MASTER' (if it is jumpered as "CSEL", then you probably will have to
change the jumper).

Lew Pitcher, Information Technology Consultant, Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

Second Hard Disk

Post by Hans » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 22:57:22

> >Hello,

> >Properbly I'm doing something wrong, I can't get my second HD to run on
my
> >linux.
> >The second disk is jumperd as prim. slave, but after a reboot en lilo I
got
> >the message "Press any key to reboot". Si I rebooted a few times but no
> >succes. The disk is formated in 1 partition as fat32. I also mounted and
> >jumperd it as sec. master and slave but still no succes. Where does it go
> >wrong.

> If you have two drives on the same IDE channel, it appears that both
> drives must be jumpered for the master/slave relationship. In my
> experience, systems shipped with a single drive have that drive
> jumpered for cable select ("CSEL") rather than master or slave.

> Check to see if your primary master drive is actually jumpered as
> 'MASTER' (if it is jumpered as "CSEL", then you probably will have to
> change the jumper).

> Lew Pitcher, Information Technology Consultant, Toronto Dominion Bank
Financial Group

> (Opinions expressed are my own, not my employer's.)

Thanks for replying,
I checked it before installation. I had to put an extra jumper on both
disks. Now both disks have two jumpers. The bios identifies them both as
prim master and prim slave. Is it possible that I have to change someting in
LILO? On the machine is RH7.0 installed.
Hans

Second Hard Disk

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 05:50:09

>> >The second disk is jumperd as prim. slave, but after a reboot en lilo
>> >I got the message "Press any key to reboot".
> I had to put an extra jumper on both disks. Now both disks have two
> jumpers.

So your master HD has different jumper settings for master and single
disk? Some HDs doesn't have the same jumper settings for master and
single disk, but most do.

Quote:> The bios identifies them both as prim master and prim slave.

Did you change any geometry when identifying the disks in bios? That
could explain your problem. If so, you will not be able to boot on your
old disk even if you remove the new disk and rejumper the old disk for
single disk.

If you are still able to boot from a single HD your BIOS might have some
feature to boot from the slave instead of the master.

Quote:> Is it possible that I have to change
> someting in LILO?

You shouldn't have to change anything in LILO on /dev/hda as both lilo is
in the MBR of hda and the kernel is on a partition on hda.

regards Henrik
Henrik.Carlqvist(at)2.sbbs.se Examples of addresses which go to others:

Second Hard Disk

Post by Skylar Thompso » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 08:00:11

> Thanks for replying,
> I checked it before installation. I had to put an extra jumper on both
> disks. Now both disks have two jumpers. The bios identifies them both as
> prim master and prim slave. Is it possible that I have to change someting in
> LILO? On the machine is RH7.0 installed.

You might want to move the new hard drive on to the secondary IDE channel,
as performance will be absolutely abysmal with both on the same channel.

--

1. second hard disk

hello all

i want to add second hard-disk to my existing redhat linux 6.2 harddisk.
this harddisk is having NTFS and FAT32  partitions
How can i add this second harddisk and mount it?

thanks in advance

newlinx

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Creative graphics blaster

3. mounting second hard disk

4. 3.1 Not yet on ftp site

5. Can I install Solaris on my second hard disk?

6. Connection seems slow....

7. how do i specify the second hard disk in /etc/disktab?

8. How do I find the size of chip on Solaris

9. second hard disk doesn't recognized.

10. Second hard disk in an Ultra 5

11. second hard disk "off line " and system frequently reboot itself

12. Symlinks to second hard disk

13. Adding Linux to second hard disc