IN-2000 & SCSI CD-ROM, Promise 2300+ & IDE HD

IN-2000 & SCSI CD-ROM, Promise 2300+ & IDE HD

Post by Phinea » Sat, 25 May 1996 04:00:00

I have an EIDE hard drive (WD) on a Promise VLB 2300+ VLB EIDE controller
card.  The BIOS on this card is enabled to get LBA mode for the hard drive
(the 486 motherboard doesn't support LBA natively).

I am also running a SCSI CD-ROM (Sony CDU55S) off of an Always IN-2000
SCSI controller card (latest firmware), with the BIOS disabled as it
conflicts with the Promise 2300+ BIOS.

When I tried to copy the bootimage for this combination from the RedHat
3.0.3 distribution, it complained that it couldn't handle the IN-2000 with
BIOS disabled, followed by a message saying "Sorry, giving up".

Is there some way to build the kernel to work with the IN-2000 with BIOS
disabled, or should I just try to find a cheap ATAPI CD-ROM and move the
SCSI devices to another box?  I know some "C", but little Linux or UNIX.

TIA

Phineas

Post by Rhys Thury » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: I have an EIDE hard drive (WD) on a Promise VLB 2300+ VLB EIDE controller
: card.  The BIOS on this card is enabled to get LBA mode for the hard drive
: (the 486 motherboard doesn't support LBA natively).

: I am also running a SCSI CD-ROM (Sony CDU55S) off of an Always IN-2000
: SCSI controller card (latest firmware), with the BIOS disabled as it
: conflicts with the Promise 2300+ BIOS.

: When I tried to copy the bootimage for this combination from the RedHat
: 3.0.3 distribution, it complained that it couldn't handle the IN-2000 with
: BIOS disabled, followed by a message saying "Sorry, giving up".

: Is there some way to build the kernel to work with the IN-2000 with BIOS
: disabled, or should I just try to find a cheap ATAPI CD-ROM and move the
: SCSI devices to another box?  I know some "C", but little Linux or UNIX.

Why do the BIOSes conflict?  Are they trying to use the same memory
addresses?  You cn change the address that the Promise uses by setting
some jumpers (see the manual).  Set it as low as possible.  If it still
conflicts set it as high as possible.  But you should be able to get them
to work together.  I have a Promise 2300, an Adaptec 1520, and an IBM
Ethernet card, all of which have BIOS, working happily together, but it
did take some address juggling to get it all working right.

--------
If you can lead it to water and force it to drink, it isn't a horse.

Got a Linux problem?  Or can you help others solve them?  Visit the Linux
Common Problems page at http://vortex.cc.missouri.edu/~rhys/linux.html

1. linux, Mitsumi CD-ROM (& SB), & the TA CD-ROM - solved!

Finally!

As I posted recently, I got the TA CD-ROM, and found that the setup kernel
recognized the CD drive, but the installed one didn't. I had trouble with
the recompile, as well.

The answer is:
    in (I think it's) /etc/include/linux/drivers/blocks, there are *two*
        makefiles. One is named Makefile, the other Makefile.orig. When
        I diffed them, I discovered Makefile.orig *had* conditions for
        compiling the Mitsumi driver, the Soundblaster driver, and one
        other driver, and Makefile *didn't*. I renamed both, and reran
        the compile. No problems, using lilo (after the usual moving &
        /etc/lilo/install) I boot off my hard drive, I can mount the
        CD ROM, etc.

I am emailing TA this, as well.

        mark

2. can't get solaris 7 system on the network

3. Promise Eide 2300 & Linux

4. Prob: DNS and autodialing

5. RedHat install, SCSI & IDE Drives/cd-rom

6. Hang during FreeBSD installation *current* version

7. Always IN-2000 scsi hd controller card probs -w- LILO/BOOT in Linux

8. Unresolved symbol: delaying eth0 installation

9. Upgrading to SCSI CD-ROM from IDE CD-ROM

10. EIDE PROMISE 2300+ HD CONTROLER

11. IDE CD-ROM's & IDE HDD

12. Promise EIDE 2300+ HD Controller

13. 4 ide drives & Mitsumi (IDE/ATAPI) CD-ROM via SB