How to load ide-scsi.o automatically

Post by AURELIA NORA » Sun, 26 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Anyone knows how to load a module I need automatically ?

I have done it by using an entry in rc.local, but people say it is possible
by inserting a line in config.modules, or modules.config. HOW ?!?! I have
tried <<install ide-scsi.o>> but it says unrecognized command. I have also
tried just listing the name, but in vain. This is RedHat 5.2, trying to load
ATAPI CDROM as SCSI device/ As said, it works, but I wanted a more 'elegant'
solution - i.e. using config.modules ? Thank you.

Post by Chris Ranki » Mon, 27 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I have tried <<install ide-scsi.o>> but it says unrecognized command. I have also
> tried just listing the name, but in vain. This is RedHat 5.2, trying to load
> ATAPI CDROM as SCSI device/ As said, it works, but I wanted a more 'elegant'
> solution - i.e. using config.modules ?

For the modules.conf trick to work, you first need to know which module
the kernel *wants* to load. Which module is loaded if you don't load
ide-scsi.o by hand? Are any other modules required? For instance, my
CD-ROM requires the cdrom.o and ide-cdrom.o modules in that order. If
your kernel requests a "block-major-xxx" device then put an

alias block-major-xxx  ide-scsi

line into your modules.conf. Or possibly a line like:

post-install cdrom  ide-scsi

if your kernel wants the cdrom.o module first. It's hard to be more
specific without knowing what is required here (I have never used the
ide-scsi.o module).

Chris.

Post by Davide Marchignol » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Anyone knows how to load a module I need automatically ?

> I have done it by using an entry in rc.local, but people say it is possible
> by inserting a line in config.modules, or modules.config. HOW ?!?! I have
> tried <<install ide-scsi.o>> but it says unrecognized command. I have also
> tried just listing the name, but in vain. This is RedHat 5.2, trying to load
> ATAPI CDROM as SCSI device/ As said, it works, but I wanted a more 'elegant'
> solution - i.e. using config.modules ? Thank you.

You also need to run kerneld or kmod to load modules automagically; my
conf.modules is the following:

alias scd0 sr_mod                  # load sr_mod upon access of scd0
alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi    # SCSI hostadapter emulation
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7
options lp parport=0
alias sound sb
pre-install sound /sbin/insmod sound dmabuf=1
options opl3 io=0x388
alias midi awe_wave
post-install awe_wave /bin/sfxload /etc/midi/GU11-ROM.SF2
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330

the commented lines are copied from the CD-Writing-HOWTO.

                                Davide Marchignoli

1. Can't get ide-scsi module to load automatically

[ RH 6.2, kernel 2.2.17 ]

I followed the instructions in the CD-Writing HOWTO rather closely,
including the setup of /etc/modules.conf, but I can't get my
CD-RW to mount without issuing "/sbin/insmod ide-scsi" by
hand.  Once I do that, I can mount it fine.  Writing also
works.

(There is one point on which I diverged from the instructions --
I didn't enable ramdisk support -- but my kernel's been working
fine without it, using modules e.g. for the NTFS volumes, so
I kind of suspect that's an outdated instruction.)

My CD-RW is Secondary IDE Master.  Here's the relevant
part of my /etc/modules.conf:

  options ide-cd ignore=hdc            # tell the ide-cd module to ignore hdb
  alias scd0 sr_mod                    # load sr_mod upon access of scd0
  #pre-install ide-scsi   modprobe imm    # uncomment for some ZIP drives only
  pre-install sg     modprobe   ide-scsi # load ide-scsi before sg
  pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi # load   ide-scsi before sr_mod
  pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd # load ide-cd   before ide-scsi

(At least I *think* that's the relevant part -- I don't understand
kernel modules very well, as may be clear already.)

2. Tunneling protocols

3. 2.5.1-pre2 compile error in ide-scsi.o ide-scsi.c

4. Alternatives to ODBC on TCP/IP

5. ide-scsi module not loading at boot

6. ipchains denying packets to other machines

7. Oops 2.5.21 loading ide-scsi module

8. Why ftp login always fails? need help!!

9. 2.5.40: problems loading/unloading ide-scsi modules

10. IDE-SCSI module corrupts further module loading on 2.5.50

11. 2.5.42 ide-scsi loads!

12. 2.4: high system load with SG_IO on IDE-SCSI: PIO?

13. How does ide-scsi get loaded?