Problem with X and new graphics card

Post by db » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 22:03:27

Problem with X and new graphics card:
I have just got a Geforce 4 Ti4200 128MB graphics card. The next time
I loaded Linux (mandrake 8.1) it didn't detect new hardware and had an
error when I started X. I then installed Mandrake 9.0 and when it gets
to the graphical setup the test never works. Most of the time it says
something istn't there and I just re-configure the settings, so I have
tried many different things but the only chage I get is sometimes a
corrupted dispay (all colours wrong - same thing repeates three times,
not legible writing etc.) but most of the time it doesn't even get
that far. I think it may be because the monitour is plugged into the
second moniter port (which is a digital port converted to normal with
an adapter supplied with the card) the promary normal port isn't
accesible at the moement. It may also be becasue It doesn't have my
specific moniter in setup (Hansol 900P) but I have tried the 700p and
many generic settings. It may be a driver problem because in windows
only old versions of the driver work (the one which is the slightly
newer isn't compatile with my mobo chipset Via133a and all drivers
even newer also dont work) are the Linux drivers in some way
equivienlt to the windows ones? How do I find out the Linux driver
version.
How can I fix this, could it be the fact that it isn't the primary
moniter port - can I change this is some X setup, also it is possible
that I plug the moniter into the primary port but is a lot of work
(sawing the wooden box the pc is in! - so I don't want to do that) how
likely is it that that is the prblem.
Thanks
DBD

Problem with X and new graphics card

Post by Lee J. Moor » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 22:10:16

Quote:

> Problem with X and new graphics card: I have just got a
> Geforce 4 Ti4200 128MB graphics card. The next time I loaded
> Linux (mandrake 8.1) it didn't detect new hardware

[..]

Quote:> How can I fix this,

Follow the instructions at
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_display_1.0-3123 and
download the drivers (RPMs) for Mandrake 8.1.  Note, there are
kernel drivers for different distributions there so make sure
you get the Mandrake specific RPM.

I must emphasise - follow the instructions for both the download
*and* the install.

--
Lee John Moore                 Powered by Gentoo
http://www.leej.dsl.pipex.com  [Portage  2.0.38]

Post by Paul Lutu » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 01:06:38

> Problem with X and new graphics card:
> I have just got a Geforce 4 Ti4200 128MB graphics card. The next time
> I loaded Linux (mandrake 8.1) it didn't detect new hardware and had an
> error when I started X. I then installed Mandrake 9.0 and when it gets
> to the graphical setup the test never works. Most of the time it says
> something istn't there

"Something isn't there" is not what the Mandrake installation program
reported to you. In order to address the problem, we need to know what the
problem is. In order to know what the problem is, we need you to tell us
what Mandrake told you.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Problem with X and new graphics card

Post by db » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 18:14:10

I'm now using mandrake 9.0 and Nvidia don't do downloads for that yet,
is there somewhere else I can find it, because I can't find in on any
of the 3 CDs.

> > Problem with X and new graphics card: I have just got a
> > Geforce 4 Ti4200 128MB graphics card. The next time I loaded
> > Linux (mandrake 8.1) it didn't detect new hardware

> [..]
> > How can I fix this,

> Follow the instructions at
> http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_display_1.0-3123 and
> download the drivers (RPMs) for Mandrake 8.1.  Note, there are
> kernel drivers for different distributions there so make sure
> you get the Mandrake specific RPM.

> I must emphasise - follow the instructions for both the download
> *and* the install.

Problem with X and new graphics card

Post by Lee J. Moor » Mon, 14 Oct 2002 18:22:19

Quote:

> I'm now using mandrake 9.0 and Nvidia don't do downloads for
> that yet, is there somewhere else I can find it, because I
> can't find in on any of the 3 CDs.

I really don't know.  You said you were using MDK 8.1 in your
original post which is why I mentioned it.  If you don't want to
wait for the 9.0 drivers, I suppose you could compile/install
the generic kernel and GLX source.

Before doing that though, I'd wait and see what other MDK9 users
have done.  Anybody out there?

[..]
--
Calm down, it's *____    only* ones and zeroes.

Problem with X and new graphics card

Post by db » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 03:34:48

when I start X it says (EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

so the error is that it can't find my screen it is in the second (the digital) port.

Post by db » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 02:27:12

> > Problem with X and new graphics card:
> > I have just got a Geforce 4 Ti4200 128MB graphics card. The next time
> > I loaded Linux (mandrake 8.1) it didn't detect new hardware and had an
> > error when I started X. I then installed Mandrake 9.0 and when it gets
> > to the graphical setup the test never works. Most of the time it says
> > something istn't there

> "Something isn't there" is not what the Mandrake installation program
> reported to you. In order to address the problem, we need to know what the
> problem is. In order to know what the problem is, we need you to tell us
> what Mandrake told you.

sorry, what it actually said when I tried to
startX was:

(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

amoung other stuff. So How can I get it to use my secondry moniter port?

1. Which graphics card & sound card would be recommended for a new pc

I'm looking at getting a new PC which will be running both linux (have yet
to work out which distribution) and NT. While I don't expect help on driver
information for the NT side I would appreciate advice on which graphic &
sound cards either don't work or only partially work with linux.

On the graphics side I am thinking of a creative labs banshee, a matrox
millennium G200 or mystique G200 or the new riva card.

On the sound side I'm thinking of the soundblaster awe 64 value pci.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

Paul

2. Migrate to the Solaris Operating Environment

3. Problem with new graphic card

4. running a 'C' program with different userid

5. openGL Graphics card/all around graphics card recommendations?

6. Tops and snmp

7. READ THIS: XFree86 with new graphics cards...

8. JSP pages corrupted with HTML source code

9. LOoking for Advice on a NEW graphics card!!!!!!!

10. New Graphics card

11. Which graphics card for a new Linux machine?

12. New graphics card + XFree86 issues

13. new graphics cards