New To Red Hat Linux 5.0

Post by Lord Opti » Sun, 03 May 1998 04:00:00

I am VERY new to red hat linux 5.0, I want to know if anyone can recommend a
good book on linux (red hat)?

New To Red Hat Linux 5.0

Post by Anders & Susan Karlss » Mon, 04 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I am VERY new to red hat linux 5.0, I want to know if anyone can recommend a
>good book on linux (red hat)?

How about RedHat Linux Unleashed from SAMS. Costs around 45-50 but covers
most of what you will need to know for starters.

--

[ Remove nospam for proper email address ]

New To Red Hat Linux 5.0

Post by Randy Coope » Tue, 05 May 1998 04:00:00

The book I started out with is 'Running Linux' by Matt Welsh and Lar
Kaufman (O'Reilly & Associates). The Linux Documentation Project has
several books you can download and print. Try http://sunsite.unc.edu.LDP
for more information. I also found the HOW-TOs (same site) to be useful.
Prior to reading this documentation I had very little knowledge of Linux
/ Unix. I am running RH5.0 as well.

New To Red Hat Linux 5.0

Post by James Youngma » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

  Anders> On Sat, 2 May 1998 18:26:25 -0500, "Lord Optic"

  >> I am VERY new to red hat linux 5.0, I want to know if anyone can
  >> recommend a good book on linux (red hat)?

  Anders> How about RedHat Linux Unleashed from SAMS. Costs around
  Anders> [UKP] 45-50 but covers most of what you will need to know
  Anders> for starters.

IMHO it places the chapters in a funny order (Web server admin before
Linux installation), but I have a copy and it's quite good.  The few
errors it does have are either too small to notice, or very obvious,
so that probably isn't a problem.

New To Red Hat Linux 5.0

Post by ReBoo » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

>   Anders> On Sat, 2 May 1998 18:26:25 -0500, "Lord Optic"

>   >> I am VERY new to red hat linux 5.0, I want to know if anyone can
>   >> recommend a good book on linux (red hat)?

>   Anders> How about RedHat Linux Unleashed from SAMS. Costs around
>   Anders> [UKP] 45-50 but covers most of what you will need to know
>   Anders> for starters.

> IMHO it places the chapters in a funny order (Web server admin before
> Linux installation), but I have a copy and it's quite good.  The few
> errors it does have are either too small to notice, or very obvious,
> so that probably isn't a problem.

 Get the book called  "Running Linux Second Edition" This is a good book to read
from beginning to end. Most ofthe others are good Reference books only. If you read
this book you should go from newbie to almost advanced Linux user as fast as you
can read. You can find this book in most Library's  and book stores. In Canada it's
about $40.00 but its probably cheaper where ever you are. :)

New To Red Hat Linux 5.0

Post by Mickey Marti » Mon, 18 May 1998 04:00:00

I just got Running Linux 2nd Edition. It's pretty good. If you want a great

and don't overcharge for shipping.

Mickey

writes:

>>   Anders> On Sat, 2 May 1998 18:26:25 -0500, "Lord Optic"

>>   >> I am VERY new to red hat linux 5.0, I want to know if anyone can
>>   >> recommend a good book on linux (red hat)?

>>   Anders> How about RedHat Linux Unleashed from SAMS. Costs around
>>   Anders> [UKP] 45-50 but covers most of what you will need to know
>>   Anders> for starters.

>> IMHO it places the chapters in a funny order (Web server admin before
>> Linux installation), but I have a copy and it's quite good.  The few
>> errors it does have are either too small to notice, or very obvious,
>> so that probably isn't a problem.

> Get the book called  "Running Linux Second Edition" This is a good book to
read
>from beginning to end. Most ofthe others are good Reference books only. If
you read
>this book you should go from newbie to almost advanced Linux user as fast
as you
>can read. You can find this book in most Library's  and book stores. In
Canada it's
>about $40.00 but its probably cheaper where ever you are. :)

1. New to Linux - COMPAQ Prosignia - PANIC installing Linux Red Hat 5.0

Hi all !
I have a hard hardware problem.
On my Compaq Prosignia server I have the following hardware configuration:
Compaq Fast Wide SCSI-2 embedded controller
Adaptec 1520B ISA/EISA controller
1 hard-disks 2.01 GB attached to Adaptec controller
Compaq SCSI CD-ROM attached to Adaptec controller
Because Compaq controller doesn't recognise HD greater than 1.05 GB I have
had to install the system with the HD attached to the Adaptec controller. I
have succesfully installed Linux but the system doesn't boot.
Unfortunately I haven't any Compaq compatible .CFG file for configuring
Adaptec controller into Compaq BIOS and it seems that this may be the cause
why Linux doesn't boot. Before beginning  installation I added the Adaptec
controller manually creating a .CFG file through System Configuration but
there is no option in Compaq System Configuration to make it as "First".
This option is available for the Compaq integrated controller which I made
it "Second". So, after installing Linux I have had to move the HD back on
the Compaq controller to make it boot. And even if now Linux can boot when
it tries to mount the root FS it looks for aha152x adapter and displays a
PANIC message:
/* beginning of messages */
VFS:Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
/lib/aha152x.o: symbol for parameter not found
VFS: Cannot open root device 08:01

How can I deal with this problem ?
How can I make the HD bootable using this configuraton ?
Is there possible to install using the Compaq controller wtih both devices
(HD+CD)?

If somebody can help me I would great appreciate it. It's so urgent !
Thanks in advance.
Viorel Tabara

2. Why so much duplication *_read_inode()?

3. SunOS File Deletion Anomaly

4. open ssl key and iplanet 4.0?

5. Red Hat 5.0 vs. Red Hat 5.1

6. New to linux.

7. Setting up Red Hat 5.0 Linux on a new PC

8. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

9. AHA 2940 UW with new BIOS and Red HAt 5.0

10. Red Hat 5.0 New user questions on Kernal build and ppp

11. Red Hat 101: Help for new (and not so new) Linux users