Modem/audio riser in Asus A7V

Post by Luís Cansado Carvalh » Thu, 07 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Hi
Can anyone tell me if the modem riser for Asus A7V can be used on a RH Linux
7.0 system.

Best regards
Lus Cansado Carvalho

Modem/audio riser in Asus A7V

Post by Drew » Thu, 07 Dec 2000 04:00:00

don't know - I have an A7V and am in the market for a modem - I never
thought about the modem riser on the motherboard.  I'll start looking into
it and post back if I find anything.

Quote:> Hi
> Can anyone tell me if the modem riser for Asus A7V can be used on a RH
Linux
> 7.0 system.

> Best regards
> Lus Cansado Carvalho

Modem/audio riser in Asus A7V

Post by Drew » Thu, 07 Dec 2000 04:00:00

As discussed on the attached links, it appears the modem portions of the AMR
devices are software controlled, rather than hardware controlled, making it
dubious as to whether it will function on the Linux kernal.  Also, as stated
on the link, you give up about 13% of the processors resources.  I'll bet
Linux will eventually support these devices, but I think I'll stick with
hardware modems in the PCI or ISA slot, particularly in light of the fact
the the AMR slot occupies the same position electronically as the 5th PCI
slot on the A7V, meaning if you use the AMR slot for the modem or sound, you
very likely lose a PCI slot in the process, unless the AMR and the device in
the 5th slot are willing to "share.".

http://www.fic.com.tw/techsupport/faq/faqsamr.htm
http://www.smlink.com/products/default.asp

Quote:> Hi