Q: ALPS 4x4 CD CHANGER ?

Post by Harald H Hanneli » Thu, 20 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Does anyone know if one could get the Alps 4x4 IDE cd-rom changer to
work in Linux? It seems so cheap I could go out and by one immediately.

It has a button on the front panel that can be used to change disks,
but as I mostly use the darn thing as an NFS drive it would be nice if
one could just 'cdmount -d [1-4]' the disks, or something..

Mauritzgatan 14D41 | www.sit.fi/~harald   | Pho +35892783568
00170 HKI FINLAND  | elisabeth.elixir.org | Fax +35892783568

:
: It has a button on the front panel that can be used to change disks,
: but as I mostly use the darn thing as an NFS drive it would be nice if
: one could just 'cdmount -d [1-4]' the disks, or something..
: --

Ok, I just got an answer on this, one should RTFM for the 'eject' util,
it looks like one can do 'eject -c [0-3]' and hence change disks w/o
physically push the change button on the drive.

Many thanks to Mathew E. Kirsch ..

Mauritzgatan 14D41 | www.sit.fi/~harald   | Pho +35892783568
00170 HKI FINLAND  | elisabeth.elixir.org | Fax +35892783568

1. ALPS 4x4 CD-changer and Linux

My current system configuration:
/dev/hda        2.5G Quantum Bigfoot divided in 7 (or 8) partitions.

/dev/hdb        ATAPI CD-ROM (2x)
/dev/hdc        ATAPI CD-ROM (4x4)

Is there any way to mount my /dev/hdc (which is 4CD Changer) so that it
would automagically switch CD:s to a correct one when I change to a
directory I've specified for that disk (assuming that I can find a way
to implement a "cd-changer" program). Is it possible to do it with amd?
How does that amd work anyway? If someone has already accomplished to
write a program which changes cd:s on ALPS 4x4 CD-changer (or any other
changer) I would appreciate if I get to look at it.

      \|||/
--oo0-(. .)-0oo---------------------------------------
       ()
  Esa Viitala, Oy Comptel Ab
  Ruoholahdenkatu 4 00180 Helsinki FINLAND

  telno: +358-9-700 11 200 mobile: +358-40 521 4872
-oOOo-------oOOo--------------------------------------

2. Compiling Errors of FWBuilder on Solaris 2.8 for IPFilter

3. CD-changers with Linux: Nec 4x4?

4. laser labels - cheap source?

5. Nec 4x4 cd changer

6. Kernel Compilation Error