PCMCIA Removable HardDisk

Post by Colin Co » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

At work we have a desktop machine that has a DataBook PCMCIA card
reader.  I am interested to know whether (and if so how) to Linux to
recognise this disk.  I have looked in /etc/pcmcia/config and there does
not seem to be any driver information.  The disk is a Maxtor 105Mb.
Linux is version 1.2.13.  I am unsure of the PCMCIA version.

Please email me with suggestions/advise

Thanks

1. mount removable harddisk?

I have a removable harddisk carrier installed in my linuxbox.
It's a sort of tray, where you put an ordinary harddisk, and
then have a very easy way of taking it with you.

My problem is this:

I know that the IDE interface is not made for "hot-plug", (that
is, putting the harddisk in, while the system is booted), but
it would be nice if it would work anyway.

I have tried to insert the harddisk while the system was booted
and then tried to mount it, but mount complains that "device is
not a block device. I think this is because the kernel have not
yet "probed" the IDE bus, as it does at boot-up.

Is there a way to make the kernel aware of the inserted harddisk,
so that I can mount it?
--
Jesper Holm Olsen, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Copenhagen

Homepage: http://www.diku.dk/students/dunkel/

2. Oracle Interface

3. mounting msdos removable drives (syquest 44 MB harddisk) ?

4. Linux on IBM Thinkpad 350?

5. Help Needed: Removable Harddisk 1GB on SCO-UNIX

6. A few DiskSuite queries

7. Removable harddisk problems..

8. Does anyone know of drivers for the Compaq s100 Scanner?(nt)

9. Removable PCMCIA cd-rom & Audio

10. Help setting up an avatar shark pcmcia removable drive

11. Can't mount pcmcia harddisk.

12. Q: PCMCIA IDE Controler + IDE Harddisk

13. PCMCIA SCSI cd works, harddisk doesn't