AIC-7880 and RedHat 7.2 problem

Post by Xiaoqin Qi » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 08:46:31

Hi,

I have a HP Kayak XU 6/450 which has a AIC-7880 scsi controller with
SCSI BIOS 1.32S8HP on the motherboard and there are four disk drives
connected to it. The machine used to run Windows NT with no problem. Now
I tried to install RedHat 7.2 on it. However, first the installation
hang when it tried to load aic7xxx driver. I tried linux apic but it
didn't work. Then I got around it by not probe and selected new
experimental aic7xxx_mod driver. But when the installation moved on and
it reached the point to create filesytem, it gave me the error message:

"An error has occurred - no valid devices were found on which to create
new filesystems. Please check your hardware for the cause of this
problem."

Anyone has experienced this kind of problem before? What is the reason
and possible solution?
Thank you very much for your help!

Xiaoqin

AIC-7880 and RedHat 7.2 problem

Post by Hartmut Berghof » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:48:44

Hello Xiaoquin,

I experienced similar problems during installation of SUSE-Linux 8.0 on e
dell 4500S with a Adaptec 19160 (using a aic7899) SCSI-Bios v3.00.
I had to turn off the disconnect for all connected disks to complete. My
errors located more recent, when copying files. But with suse this may be
different from you. Simply try the same. After installation I could reenable
the disconnect.

I still have problems with scsi0 rising partiy errors, but this an other
problem,

regards
Hartmut

> Hi,

> I have a HP Kayak XU 6/450 which has a AIC-7880 scsi controller with
> SCSI BIOS 1.32S8HP on the motherboard and there are four disk drives
> connected to it. The machine used to run Windows NT with no problem. Now
> I tried to install RedHat 7.2 on it. However, first the installation
> hang when it tried to load aic7xxx driver. I tried linux apic but it
> didn't work. Then I got around it by not probe and selected new
> experimental aic7xxx_mod driver. But when the installation moved on and
> it reached the point to create filesytem, it gave me the error message:

> "An error has occurred - no valid devices were found on which to create
> new filesystems. Please check your hardware for the cause of this
> problem."

> Anyone has experienced this kind of problem before? What is the reason
> and possible solution?
> Thank you very much for your help!

> Xiaoqin

AIC-7880 and RedHat 7.2 problem

Post by Xiaoqin Qi » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 02:44:20

HI Hartmut,

Thank you for your information. All my disks on this machine connected to that
controller. If I disconnect all of them, how can install finish?
Thanks,

Xiaoqin

> Hello Xiaoquin,

> I experienced similar problems during installation of SUSE-Linux 8.0 on e
> dell 4500S with a Adaptec 19160 (using a aic7899) SCSI-Bios v3.00.
> I had to turn off the disconnect for all connected disks to complete. My
> errors located more recent, when copying files. But with suse this may be
> different from you. Simply try the same. After installation I could reenable
> the disconnect.

> I still have problems with scsi0 rising partiy errors, but this an other
> problem,

> regards
> Hartmut

> > Hi,

> > I have a HP Kayak XU 6/450 which has a AIC-7880 scsi controller with
> > SCSI BIOS 1.32S8HP on the motherboard and there are four disk drives
> > connected to it. The machine used to run Windows NT with no problem. Now
> > I tried to install RedHat 7.2 on it. However, first the installation
> > hang when it tried to load aic7xxx driver. I tried linux apic but it
> > didn't work. Then I got around it by not probe and selected new
> > experimental aic7xxx_mod driver. But when the installation moved on and
> > it reached the point to create filesytem, it gave me the error message:

> > "An error has occurred - no valid devices were found on which to create
> > new filesystems. Please check your hardware for the cause of this
> > problem."

> > Anyone has experienced this kind of problem before? What is the reason
> > and possible solution?
> > Thank you very much for your help!

> > Xiaoqin

AIC-7880 and RedHat 7.2 problem

Post by Hartmut Berghof » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 16:08:38

Hallo Xiaoqin,

pardon for writing that bad exactness.
Disonnect doesn't mean to remove the disks from the bus (scsi-cable9
Disconenct is a SCSI feature. Normally it is enabled in the hostadapter
setup (ctrl-A). You can it enable/disable there for every SCSI-ID.
If the ctrl-A message does not show up on pc startup, it must have been
disabled in that setup. It work's anyhow, if you pres ctrl-A after the BIos
message of the aci7880 shows up during boot.

Hartmut

> HI Hartmut,

> Thank you for your information. All my disks on this machine connected to that
> controller. If I disconnect all of them, how can install finish?
> Thanks,

> Xiaoqin

>>Hello Xiaoquin,

>>I experienced similar problems during installation of SUSE-Linux 8.0 on e
>>dell 4500S with a Adaptec 19160 (using a aic7899) SCSI-Bios v3.00.
>>I had to turn off the disconnect for all connected disks to complete. My
>>errors located more recent, when copying files. But with suse this may be
>>different from you. Simply try the same. After installation I could reenable
>>the disconnect.

>>I still have problems with scsi0 rising partiy errors, but this an other
>>problem,

>>regards
>>Hartmut

>>>Hi,

>>>I have a HP Kayak XU 6/450 which has a AIC-7880 scsi controller with
>>>SCSI BIOS 1.32S8HP on the motherboard and there are four disk drives
>>>connected to it. The machine used to run Windows NT with no problem. Now
>>>I tried to install RedHat 7.2 on it. However, first the installation
>>>hang when it tried to load aic7xxx driver. I tried linux apic but it
>>>didn't work. Then I got around it by not probe and selected new
>>>experimental aic7xxx_mod driver. But when the installation moved on and
>>>it reached the point to create filesytem, it gave me the error message:

>>>"An error has occurred - no valid devices were found on which to create
>>>new filesystems. Please check your hardware for the cause of this
>>>problem."

>>>Anyone has experienced this kind of problem before? What is the reason
>>>and possible solution?
>>>Thank you very much for your help!

>>>Xiaoqin

AIC-7880 and RedHat 7.2 problem

Post by M. Buchenriede » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 15:25:22

[Please add your comments below the quoted text. Thank you.]

>HI Hartmut,
>Thank you for your information. All my disks on this machine
>connected to that
>controller. If I disconnect all of them, how can install finish?

[...]

He's not talking about physically disconnecting the drives from
the SCSI cable, but turning off the disconnect/reconnect feature for
the drives in the SCSI card's BIOS.

Michael

1. AIC-7880 and RedHat 7.2 problem

[...]

2. MechMania IV: The Vinyl Frontier!

3. 2.1.115 -- aic-7880 -- umount problem

4. Apache & Proxy (or Cache)

5. Red Hat 4.2 - install problems with Adaptec AIC-7880 onboard

6. Silly question about law

7. Adaptec AIC-7880 problems

8. create_module & init_module

9. Prob w/AIC-7880 U/W SCSI-2...

10. Adaptec AIC-7880 ?

11. scsi aic-7880 and Solaris 2.5.1 x86

12. Linux compatibility with Adaptec AIC-7880 on Intel Providence motherboard?

13. SCSI AIC-7880