ide-scsi - can't mount /cdrom - but can see scsi0:

ide-scsi - can't mount /cdrom - but can see scsi0:

Post by B Woost » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 22:55:58

I followed the instructions in the cdrtools readme for
ATAPI drives, and compiled my Slackware 8 kernel
with SCSI emulation, Generic SCSI, and did not include
IDE for CDROMs in the kernel.

Since this is all compiled in, I don't do the modprobe
etc mentioned in the doc.

When the system boots up (I added hdc=ide-scsi to boot)
I still see hdc listed for the CDROM.

But I also see a line after that:
scsi0: SCSI host adapter

and then when booted, and I do cdrecord -scanbus,
I see scsibus0 - 0,0,0 - listed as the CD-R/RW drive.

Now - I am still unsure on how to mount the CD-ROM
normally (regular CD-ROMS, not writeable).

I tried all devices I could think of /dev/scd0 /dev/scd1
/dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc etc but it always says unknown
device. The /dev entries do exist.

How do I find what device is the cd rom?

Thanks for any help.

Post by Duane Clar » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 00:59:34

> I followed the instructions in the cdrtools readme for
> ATAPI drives, and compiled my Slackware 8 kernel
> with SCSI emulation, Generic SCSI, and did not include
> IDE for CDROMs in the kernel.

> Since this is all compiled in, I don't do the modprobe
> etc mentioned in the doc.

 From the SCSI support section, you need to also compile in the "SCSI
support" and the "SCSI CD-ROM support", in addition to the SCSI generic
support that you mentioned. The SCSI generic (sg) driver is used by
cdrecord, along with device files /dev/sg*, which is why that works.
Mounting requires the sr driver, which is the "SCSI CD-ROM support".

Once you have done that, the command "# dmesg" should show something like :

scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: PLEXTOR Model: CD-R PX-W8432T Rev: 1.05
  Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
scsi : detected 1 SCSI cdrom total.
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

Note the sr0 on the last line. That means the device file for mounting
is /dev/sr0. Generally /dev/scd0 will be identical, so you can use
either one:

# ll /dev/sr0
brw-r-----    1 root     root      11,   0 Apr 18  2000 /dev/sr0
# ll /dev/scd0
brw-------    1 dclark   disk      11,   0 May  5  1998 /dev/scd0

--

ide-scsi - can't mount /cdrom - but can see scsi0:

Post by B Woost » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 00:55:14

This did it!

So, to make ide-scsi work and compile everything needed
into the kernel, if anyone follows all the steps in the
following text, it should all work...

In addition, here's all the stuff I did:

* added hdc=ide-scsi to my kernel boot arguments
* added a symlink: cd /dev; ln -s scd0 cdrom [for audio playback]
* added user names to /etc/group for sys and disk - so normal users
  can play CDs on my PC.

Thanks!

> > I followed the instructions in the cdrtools readme for
> > ATAPI drives, and compiled my Slackware 8 kernel
> > with SCSI emulation, Generic SCSI, and did not include
> > IDE for CDROMs in the kernel.  [... but can't mount the CD ...]

>  From the SCSI support section, you need to also compile in the "SCSI
> support" and the "SCSI CD-ROM support", in addition to the SCSI generic
> support that you mentioned. The SCSI generic (sg) driver is used by [...]
> sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
> Note the sr0 on the last line. That means the device file for mounting
> is /dev/sr0. Generally /dev/scd0 will be identical, so you can use
> either one.

1. It's not bad canned meat...

Thanks for your time.  We at I.S.P.O.T. (The International Society
for the Preservation Of Trees (URL http://www.local-touch.com/ISPOT/)) feel
that electronic messages are great for getting the word out while preserving
our friend the tree.  Anyway, please stop by our home page!

Thanks again!

SusieQ

2. SPARC Traps on SunOS Document - Updated

3. Problem debugging xchat

4. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter

5. Loosing IP information

6. CGI: apache canned response

7. Alternate character modes on magic_cookie_glitch terminals (long)

8. For those of you tired of canned distributions...

9. Canned "ping"

10. Any Canned Class code?

11. PPPD or Tin Cans: Which is Better?

12. ide-scsi emulation and cdrom mount