Digital LCD monitor and digital video card

Digital LCD monitor and digital video card

Post by masuda_r2t.. » Sun, 11 Feb 2001 10:29:01

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience using LCD monitor
with digital video card through digital input
signal without using any analog signal conversion?
In order to maximize the benefit of LCD monitor's digital
feature, I think it is desirable to use digital video card instead
of analog one.

I tried to buy SGI 1600SW LCD monitor with 3D Lab's Oxygen
VX1-1600SW video card, but my co-worker told me they have
some problem with Linux.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Hiro

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Tim Robert » Sun, 11 Feb 2001 13:49:01

>Does anyone have any experience using LCD monitor
>with digital video card through digital input
>signal without using any analog signal conversion?
>In order to maximize the benefit of LCD monitor's digital
>feature, I think it is desirable to use digital video card instead
>of analog one.

The difference is not noticeable to human eyes.

Quote:>I tried to buy SGI 1600SW LCD monitor with 3D Lab's Oxygen
>VX1-1600SW video card, but my co-worker told me they have
>some problem with Linux.

The S3 Savage4 chip has a digital flat panel connector and is supported by
XFree86.
--

  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

1. question about video cards for digital LCD monitors

Dear People,

I have been toying with the idea of buying a 15in LCD monitor. I am
told that the digital versions are better. PC World in an article last
year rated the Princeton DPP560 as best digital 15in LCD
monitor. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find anyone selling it,
and it is not listed on the Princeton web site, so it may have been
discontinued.

In any case, my question is that I was told that these digital
displays require special digital graphics cards, so my question is,
does X support these cards. I have been unable to find specific
information as to what these cards might be.

PC World lists the Samsung SyncMaster 530TFT as best in the analog
graphics section. It appears that analog LCDs work Ok with
conventional PCI or AGP cards. Is that correct?

If you use a digital or analog LCD under X, I would welcome general
comments and suggestions about which model to buy, and also any
thoughts about the differences between LCDs and CRTs. Yes, I know this
is not a Linux issue.

If you do not feel a posting is appropriate, you can email me directly

information in a future posting.

Thanks.                            Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.

2. : Huh? setserial baud_base 38400 spd_vhi

3. Why doesn't /etc/netmasks correctly set my netmasks?

4. DFP digital LCD monitor, Matrox card, framebuffer/X woes

5. mkcd fails with 0512-005, 0512-040, among others

6. Digital LCD Monitor support under Linux

7. How do you disable processors on a H50 with AIX 4.2.1?

8. Digital LCD monitor

9. X11 configure problem with Princeton DPP-560 digital LCD monitor

10. Digital LCD Monitor

11. problems with digital de500 e'net card on digital server ...

12. Digital Audio Labs: Digital Only Card