Point a Newbie in the right direction DSP, Onboard Controller PC Modem

Point a Newbie in the right direction DSP, Onboard Controller PC Modem

Post by Scott Hepple » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 03:19:42

Most of the modem links I can find deal with Winmodems.  I saw the new ZOOM
3075 PC card modems which has an onboard controller and DSP.  Fearful about
all I had read about Winmodems, I bought it as the box said it was for
linux computers.  Does this mean it is a hardware modem or a Linmodem?  The
Mandrake 8.1 setup program  (DrakeX) selected Lucent Microelectronics 56K
Winmodem and resists my attempts to try other drivers.  My connect speeds
are slow.  Zoomsupport has been cumbersome, relpies are not being
delivered, they point me to the Sunsite which seems very dated and targeted
mainly to command line dialers like Kermit.  I could tell from the box it
is a lucent chipset but when Zoomsupport was asked Lucent Agere vs Lucent
Venus they told me Lucent.
Knowledge of the chipset was decribed as being needed at Linmodems.org
before you could solve your problem.

Thanks for any help
Scott "Spinning my Wheels" Heppler

Post by Anton Tropashk » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 16:32:41

> Most of the modem links I can find deal with Winmodems.  I saw the new ZOOM
> 3075 PC card modems which has an onboard controller and DSP.  Fearful about
> all I had read about Winmodems, I bought it as the box said it was for
> linux computers.  Does this mean it is a hardware modem or a Linmodem?  The

Pardon my ignorance, but why did not you get an external modem?
Quote:> Mandrake 8.1 setup program  (DrakeX) selected Lucent Microelectronics 56K

Post by Scott Hepple » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 00:18:50

> Pardon my ignorance, but why did not you get an external modem?

  I have been able to find out that it is a hardware modem.

  I stayed with the pc card modem because I really do take the C350 on the
road for 2-3 months at a time. I like having as few "boxes" when I go
through airport security, minimal cords running over the small workspace I
usually have to work from. etc.

  I get the sense from this newsgroup that choosing your hardware is very
important in linux.  3com and actiontec also make controller PC card modems
and I think it is doable although the modem is fairly new (Best buy also
had a introductory $20 rebate which make me take the plunge)

Quote:

>> Thanks for any help
>> Scott "Spinning my Wheels" Heppler

Point a Newbie in the right direction DSP, Onboard Controller PC Modem

Post by Mark H. Woo » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 05:26:04

[snip]

Quote:>   I get the sense from this newsgroup that choosing your hardware is very
> important in linux.

You got that right.  A lot of manufacturers still think that every
computer runs Windows, and that they can cut corners (a la winmodems,
winprinters, and other incomplete devices).  Quite a lot of hardware
is supported, but you can't just slam any old piece of gear into a
Linux box and paper over the cracks with driver magic.

Something else you learn quickly when outfitting a Linux system is
that card names are nothing; chip numbers are everything.  Selecting a
network card, a display card, a SCSI controller, an audio card,
etc. usually revolves around prying out of manufacturers just what
they used for the "main chip".  There's no Compaq NetFlex driver, for
example, but there is a driver for the TI ThunderLAN chip that it
uses.  There are dozens of NE2000 clones but only one driver for the
chip they all either use or emulate.  You won't find a driver for the
Dell PERC II, but you'll find that the driver for the AMI MegaRAID
chip is what you want.

[Note to manufacturers: if you don't identify the chip(set), you lose
the sale.  I won't buy any board that I can't identify *in advance* as
supported by a shipping driver.]

--

Our lives are forever changed.  But *that* is exactly as it always was.

1. point a newbie in the right direction?

My position is this: I am an experienced windows/dos user who wants to
make a break and learn linux for my own emotional wellbeing and moral
sanctity.

Is there any literature (preferrably downloadble!) aimed at reeducating
a misguided individual like myself?  I would have to be responsible for
setting up and maintaining a several-user linux system and I would also
like to learn how set up a mail/web/ftp server and some applications
eg gimp, latex etc.

Can somebody point me in teh right direction?

Many thanks in advance,
Pete

2. termtelnet Thanks!

3. PGP and how to get a copy can somebody point me in the right direction?

4. 3Com905-TX problem

5. vm86() - can someone point me in the right direction?

6. problem with modem

7. returning strings, I nee 'Pointing' in the right direction.

8. 1 button mouse probs

9. Help point me in the right direction

10. returning strings, I nee 'Pointing' in the right direction.

11. Max RAM w/ 1.2.8 *Someone please help or point in the right direction*

12. Please 'Point' me in the right direction

13. Point Me in the Right Direction