Problems reading files off digital cam after mounting via USB

Problems reading files off digital cam after mounting via USB

Post by Quiet Voi » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 22:18:18

Greetings:

I'm experiencing a problem reading photo files off my Minolta Dimage
7Hi.

When I plug the camera into my laptop via the usb port, the camera
appears in the /mnt directory (as "/mnt/camera").

But when I click on the icon for /mnt/camera, it comes up blank.
Nothing.

Is there something else I need to do to have the photo files on the
flash card appear as files so that I may manipulate them (mainly
download them to my laptop).

My os is linux Redhat 9.0

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

Thnx!

Problems reading files off digital cam after mounting via USB

Post by Dances With Crow » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 22:36:46

On 30 Jul 2003 06:18:18 -0700, Quiet Voice staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Quote:> My os is linux Redhat 9.0.  I'm experiencing a problem reading photo
> files off my Minolta Dimage 7Hi.  When I plug the camera into my
> laptop via the usb port, the camera appears in the /mnt directory (as
> "/mnt/camera").  But when I click on the icon for /mnt/camera, it
> comes up blank.  Nothing.

Is the device mounted?  Typically, you plug in the USB Mass Storage
device, then do "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/somewhere".  I don't use Redhat,
and they may have automated this mounting process for digital cameras
(dumb idea) but you should check.  After you plug the camera in, open an
xterm or konsole or Eterm, then enter "mount".  You will see a list of
mounted devices, like so:

/dev/hda6 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
//opus/dev on /mnt/opus type smbfs (0)
/dev/hde1 on /mnt/cf type vfat (rw,umask=000)

/dev/hda6 is my root filesystem, //opus/dev is a 'Doze2K machine with an
SMB share called DEV, and /dev/hde1 is a PCMCIA CompactFlash adapter.

Quote:> Is there something else I need to do to have the photo files on the
> flash card appear as files

The output from "mount" should include the string "/mnt/camera".  If it
doesn't, do "mount /mnt/camera".  You can set up a pointy-clicky
shortcut for this in KDE by right-clicking on the desktop, choosing
"Create New->Hard Disk", then choosing "/dev/sda1 (/mnt/camera)" in the
"Device" tab.

If /mnt/camera is indeed mounted, but nothing shows up when you do "ls
/mnt/camera", then it gets more complicated.  Post the output of
"lsmod" and the output of "dmesg | tail -30".

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Fri, 01 Aug 2003 00:41:16

> Is there something else I need to do to have the photo files on the
> flash card appear as files so that I may manipulate them (mainly
> download them to my laptop).

Does the camera use removable flash cards?  Try reading the card with
a separate card reader.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

Problems reading files off digital cam after mounting via USB

Post by Quiet Voi » Sun, 03 Aug 2003 04:52:29

Hi and thanks for the response.....

Quote:> On 30 Jul 2003 06:18:18 -0700, Quiet Voice staggered into the Black Sun
> and said:
> > My os is linux Redhat 9.0.  I'm experiencing a problem reading photo
> > files off my Minolta Dimage 7Hi.  When I plug the camera into my
> > laptop via the usb port, the camera appears in the /mnt directory (as
> > "/mnt/camera").  But when I click on the icon for /mnt/camera, it
> > comes up blank.  Nothing.

> > Is there something else I need to do to have the photo files on the
> > flash card appear as files

Quote:> The output from "mount" should include the string "/mnt/camera".  If it
> doesn't, do "mount /mnt/camera".  You can set up a pointy-clicky
> shortcut for this in KDE by right-clicking on the desktop, choosing
> "Create New->Hard Disk", then choosing "/dev/sda1 (/mnt/camera)" in the
> "Device" tab.

After I plug the camera into the USB slot, the output from "mount"
says (among other things).....

usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)

Quote:

> If /mnt/camera is indeed mounted, but nothing shows up when you do "ls
> /mnt/camera", then it gets more complicated.  Post the output of
> "lsmod" and the output of "dmesg | tail -30".

dmesg | tail gives the following.....

hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-1.1 assigned address 4
hub.c: new USB device 4 (vend/prod 0x686/0x400f) is not claimed by any
active driver.
SCSI subssystem driver Revision 1.00
Initialzing USB Mass Storage driver....
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
scsi0: scsi emulation for Mass Storage devices
Vendor: minolta Model: Dimage Camera Rev 1.00
type: direct access ANSI ScSI revision : 02
WARNING USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 4
USB Mass Storage support registered.

So it *seems* as if everything is mounted correctly.......but I still
don't see anything when I do an "ls" from /mnt/camera.

Any further advice or suggestions highly appreciated!!

(PS: I can't seem to run lsmod. When I type it, I get an error msg
telling me its not a bash command. Whereis shows it to be in the /sbin
dir. But even issuing the command from that dir doesn't work).

Problems reading files off digital cam after mounting via USB

Post by Dances With Crow » Sun, 03 Aug 2003 05:48:23

On 1 Aug 2003 12:52:29 -0700, Quiet Voice staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

>> On 30 Jul 2003 06:18:18 -0700, Quiet Voice staggered into the Black
>> Sun and said:
>> > My os is linux Redhat 9.0.  I'm experiencing a problem reading
>> > photo files off my Minolta Dimage 7Hi.  When I plug the camera into
>> > my laptop via the usb port, the camera appears in the /mnt
>> > directory (as "/mnt/camera").  But when I click on the icon for
>> > /mnt/camera, it comes up blank.  Nothing.
>> The output from "mount" should include the string "/mnt/camera".  If
>> it doesn't, do "mount /mnt/camera".

> After I plug the camera into the USB slot, the output from "mount"
> says (among other things)

*What* "other things"?  Provide complete information; it makes doing
tech support a lot easier.  If you haven't read
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html , go do so--it's snarky
and abrasive, but it contains very good advice for asking questions on
technical forums.

Quote:> usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)

This is the USB Device File System.  This lets you obtain information
about all the USB devices that are connected by doing "cat
/proc/bus/usb/devices" , for example.  You still have to mount the
camera, or set up Redhat's automounter to mount the camera.

Quote:>> /mnt/camera", then it gets more complicated.  Post the output of
>> "lsmod" and the output of "dmesg | tail -30".
> dmesg | tail gives the following.....

> hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-1.1 assigned address 4
> hub.c: new USB device 4 (vend/prod 0x686/0x400f) is not claimed by any
> active driver.

This is not good... could be that the camera's USB device IDs are not in
the list of recognized devices, so the usb-storage module isn't grabbing
the camera and doing the right thing.  This might be fixed with a kernel
update... what's the output of "uname -a"?

Quote:> So it *seems* as if everything is mounted correctly...

Er, no.  Post the *complete* output from "mount"; if the camera is
mounted, then /dev/sda1 (maybe /dev/sdb1) will show up in the output.

Quote:> (PS: I can't seem to run lsmod. When I type it, I get an error msg
> telling me its not a bash command. Whereis shows it to be in the /sbin
> dir. But even issuing the command from that dir doesn't work).

The /sbin directory is not in your PATH.  If you do "echo $PATH", you
will see something like

/home/user/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:
/usr/qt/3/bin:/usr/kde/3.1/bin:/usr/games/bin

...and /sbin won't be in it.  The current directory is not in your PATH
either; this is widely considered to be a good thing, but it can make
things less convenient.  Since /sbin and /usr/sbin contain useful things
like ifconfig, route, lsof, and lsmod , I always add them to my PATH.
Like so:

export PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin

and if you want to add the current directory to your PATH, you'd do

export PATH=$PATH:.

...but that's not a good idea.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

Problems reading files off digital cam after mounting via USB

Post by MA » Fri, 08 Aug 2003 22:45:56

Quote:> Greetings:

> I'm experiencing a problem reading photo files off my Minolta Dimage
> 7Hi.

> When I plug the camera into my laptop via the usb port, the camera
> appears in the /mnt directory (as "/mnt/camera").

> But when I click on the icon for /mnt/camera, it comes up blank.
> Nothing.

> Is there something else I need to do to have the photo files on the
> flash card appear as files so that I may manipulate them (mainly
> download them to my laptop).

> My os is linux Redhat 9.0

> Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

> Thnx!

It seems form your outputs that everything is in order.
You probably cannot see the contents of the /mnt/camera folder
because it only has root privileges (I have seen this before).

either open up in file manager (superuser mode) or open a root
console prompt.

you cannot do an lsmod because this too is a root command.

FWIW if you could get the camera to mount in your /home folder, you would
have the access rights to it, and should be able to see it.

LAsh

Problems reading files off digital cam after mounting via USB

Post by Quiet Voi » Sat, 16 Aug 2003 00:29:01

Hi,

Sorry for the long delay in responding. Pressures of life have caused
a reorganization of priorities, if you know what I mean....

Quote:> On 1 Aug 2003 12:52:29 -0700, Quiet Voice staggered into the Black Sun
> and said:

> > After I plug the camera into the USB slot, the output from "mount"
> > says (among other things)

> *What* "other things"?  Provide complete information; it makes doing
> tech support a lot easier.....

Here's the entire output:

/dev/hda8 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
/dev/hda11 on /HOME type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda7 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/hda10 on /opt type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hda12 on /tmp type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /win2k type vfat (rw)

Quote:> > dmesg | tail gives the following.....

> > hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-1.1 assigned address 4
> > hub.c: new USB device 4 (vend/prod 0x686/0x400f) is not claimed by any
> > active driver.

> This is not good... could be that the camera's USB device IDs are not in
> the list of recognized devices

Here again is the dmesg output:

hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-1.1, assigned address 4
usb.c: USB device 4 (vend/prod 0x686/0x400f) is not claimed by any
active driver.
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
  Vendor: MINOLTA   Model: DIMAGE  CAMERA    Rev: 1.00
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 4
USB Mass Storage support registered.

Quote:>what's the output of "uname -a"?

Linux shadow 2.4.20-6 #1 Thu Feb 27 10:06:59 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux

As a new wrinkle in the fold.....

When I tried mounting it this time around, the camera keep making a
"clicking" sound and then issuing the message "Device unmounted".

I re-ran dmesg and got the following output:

sda: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
sda: I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
unable to read partition table
Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
sda : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
Info fld=0xa00 (nonstd), Current sd00:00: sense key Not Ready
sda : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
sda: I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 2
I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
unable to read partition table