Modem Problems

Post by Mark Rosso » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi All,

I have a strange failure with my modem under linux.  I am trying to
get my PnP SupraExpress modem to work properly under linux.  When
going to linux the modem is setup(from bios) for cua2(or com3).  I
am using dip -t -v to see what is happening, it also does it for seyon.
Anyway the computer has troubles talking to the port.  If I move the
mouse around then it communicates(modem that is).  The mouse is set
up for cua0(com1) and the mouse works fine.  Until I move the mouse
no communication with the modem takes place.  Anyone experience this
or have any idea's.

Thanks
Mark R.

1. Odd Modem Problem (Modem not responding) (Not a WinModem!)

I've been around Linux off and on since kernel .99.15o, so believe me
when I say that this is _not_ a WinModem problem. :)

I just installed Debian "potato".  Clean install, and few problems,
but I can not make this box talk to my modems.   When I start minicom,
everything I type gets echoed back, but the modem doesn't respond
(other than to echo back what I type).  The echoing is odd-- it
only echoes the carriage return when I hit <enter>; I can manually
type a new line, but that doesn't help.   The modem doesn't act
on anything I type; e.g. typing "atdt33333" doesn't make any noise
(and should; at least the external modem I'm _sure_ is set to
make noise, since it does when hooked up to another machine, and that's
the factory default).

Just so you know I'm not crazy:
        It's not an interrupt problem.  The same thing happens with an
        external and an internal problem, and with seterial /dev/ttyS2 irq 0
        Moreover, I'm setting the interrupt by jumper.

        It's not a setserial problem.  If minicom isn't talking to the
        right port, then nothing gets echoed back.  Only when it's talking
        to the right port do I even see the echoing.

        I did get the external modem to talk back, by telling  it to ignore
        DTR.  However, that caused other problems (most notably, my ppp
        connection getting garbage that caused it to hang up; my ISP is
        a bit draconian :)

        statserial shows DTR always 1, DCD always 0.  I can give more info
        if necessary.

        The modems are a Gateway Telepath ISA (w/ jumpers :) and a USR 28.8
        Fax/Modem.  The box is a gateway P5-120 that I got for $25.

Any ideas?  I'm open to suggestions...

Thanks in advance,

                Me
--
Disclaimer:  Anything I said, writ, or thought in my life should not
necessarily be held or thought to imply any view, opinion, or idea

2. programming: dismiss parameters which followed executable file ......

3. Modem problem - External US Robotics Voice modem

4. Ultra 10 - device busy?

5. modem problem conect to provider (wisecom modem)

6. List datastreams and printer types

7. A modem problem about Intel 536ep Modem

8. tracking down unidentified users

9. modem problem with statserial and modem tool.

10. Strange modem problem -- my modem no longer works in Linux

11. Swapping Modem in Linux : DIVA ISDN Modem problem

12. kppp/modem problem (modem busy)

13. Weird Modem problems/modem related Hangs