PC vendors for PCs to run Unix (Linux, Solaris, etc.)

PC vendors for PCs to run Unix (Linux, Solaris, etc.)

Post by Karl Pfleg » Mon, 03 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I'm looking for PC vendors who know how to configure Intel-based PCs for
multiple Unix operating systems. Does anyone know of any vendors that can
configure PCs compatible with (a) Linux, (b) Solaris x86, and (c) Openstep
for Mach? If they can do these three, they'll probably also be able to do
FreeBSD/NetBSD, but I only actually care about those three. One that I
happened to notice is http://www.apache.com/ . Are there others? Is there a
list somewhere? Better yet, are there any articles comparing them, like the
many comparisons in the popular magazines for normal PC vendors (who usually
don't know anything about these OSes)?

Apache seems to know their stuff, and their web-based system configuration
is much more detailed than that offered by the big 3 direct-market vendors
(Gateway, Dell, Micron, who know nothing about component selection for
compatibility with the above OSes), allowing you to choose different kinds
of memory, specific motherboards, many SCSI controllers, etc. Still, their
prices for a similarly equiped 200MHz Pentium Pro / SCSI system seemed on
cursory glance about 40% higher than Gateway (~ $3500 vs. ~ $2500), which is
too high a premium, especially when you consider that the components used by
these big vendors usually become so common that drivers are soon written for
them for just about every OS.

-Karl

Post by Mark Bakarich, regular guy » Mon, 03 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I'm looking for PC vendors who know how to configure Intel-based PCs for
> multiple Unix operating systems.
[snip]
> Apache seems to know their stuff, and their web-based system configuration
> is much more detailed than that offered by the big 3 direct-market vendors
> (Gateway, Dell, Micron, who know nothing about component selection for
> compatibility with the above OSes), allowing you to choose different kinds
> of memory, specific motherboards, many SCSI controllers, etc. Still, their
> prices for a similarly equiped 200MHz Pentium Pro / SCSI system seemed on
> cursory glance about 40% higher than Gateway (~ $3500 vs. ~ $2500), which is
> too high a premium, especially when you consider that the components used by
> these big vendors usually become so common that drivers are soon written for
> them for just about every OS.

Try getting the tech-weenies at Gateway to support your favorite Unix
environment:
 "Linux, ... uhhh? Is this a program your running under windows 95?"

Your choice should be based on your own technical competence.
You can save $1000 by being your own tech support. If you're up
for it, it's a big savings. The more * your hardware though,
the better off you are paying for tech support. I'd have no qualms
about justifying it for the high end stuff. Getting up and running
in 30 minutes after delivery versus two weeks of tracing down
patches and drivers, phone support from three different vendors
trying to nail down the problem with whatever motherboard and
card combo the mfgr cobbled together. Not again!

Any good tech can slap together a PC system and load win95/NT or even
Linux, Slowlaris or Openstep on to and make it boot. But flushing out
the interactions of OS, BIOS, memory, SCSI adapters, video, sound and
network cards takes considerably more skill. This is one of the reasons
you see narrower choices in accessories; these accessories work well
and we know their quirks. You also see people doing it themselves -
"I'm looking for a motherboard/video/sound/network/scsi adapter that
is well supported under Linux/NT/Slolaris/Openstep." Some one in the
Linux camp decided to put together a 'Aviod these components' web page.

Just beware that it's your time that you're trading for the money.

--
Regards,
--------

PC vendors for PCs to run Unix (Linux, Solaris, etc.)

Post by Simon Karpe » Mon, 03 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I have heard nothing but good things about Net Express
http://www.tdl.com/~netex/

They seem to specialize in setting up x86 workstations to run
various flavors of Unix, including Linux and Solaris.
Don't know about OpenStep/Mach, but they've probably got some
experience with it too.
--
Simon Karpen

"Down, not Across"