Amd-k6-2

Post by Jaco Porthein » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I am considering buying a AMD-k6-2-400 but am unsure about
compatibility with linux any help on this???

Amd-k6-2

Post by Xaendis » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I've get a AMD K6-2 3D Now and it worked under Linux 2.0.36. as a
pentium proc.
I now upgraded to kernel 2.2.5, recompiled the kernel and my proc is now
recognized
as an AMD.

Xaendiss

> I am considering buying a AMD-k6-2-400 but am unsure about
> compatibility with linux any help on this???

Amd-k6-2

Post by Peter Depuy » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 08:08:20 +0200, Jaco Portheine

>I am considering buying a AMD-k6-2-400 but am unsure about
>compatibility with linux any help on this???

Hello,

I'd saygo ahead :-)

I'm running a K6/2-400 clocked at 450 on an Asus P5A with 128MB SDRam
and an Asus V2740 AGP Card.

It's rock solid and smooth sailing

Greetings Peter

Amd-k6-2

Post by **Nick Brow » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Make sure your motherboard can provide a core voltage of 2.2V.  Some
older ones can't change voltage at all, or can only go down to 2.9V (OK
for Cyrix) or 2.8B (Pentium MMX).

> I am considering buying a AMD-k6-2-400 but am unsure about
> compatibility with linux any help on this???

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)fr)

Protect yourself against Word 95/97 viruses, free - check out
 http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1446/atlas-t.html

Amd-k6-2

Post by Mark Niels » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I am considering buying a AMD-k6-2-400 but am unsure about
>compatibility with linux any help on this???

I use plenty of systems with the AMD K6-2 400 Mhz chip.
No problem.

--
Mark Nielsen            "Where 98 has no meaning."

The Computer Underground, Inc.  614-485-0506
computers, programming, networking, Perl, PHP, SQL, HTMl, Linux, Unix

Amd-k6-2

Post by Manuel Derie » Sun, 18 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I have Linux installed on an AMD K6-2 333Mhz.

Linux Went up Immediately without a hitch. Unfortunately, X-Windows
hasn't worked yet, I haven't found proper support for the integrated
video and sound chip sets.

The system runs like lightning.

Amd-k6-2

Post by Mohd H Misn » Mon, 19 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>I am considering buying a AMD-k6-2-400 but am unsure about
>compatibility with linux any help on this???

Shouldn't be a problem. I've been running AMD K6-2/300MHz on my notebook for
more than 5 months w/o any problem whatsoever. BTW, the 2.2.5 recognized my
processor as AuthenticAMD K6 with 3D processor and running at 300.688234MHz,
with Bogomips = 599.65.

--

|MacOS 8.5.1 +    |http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/3319/      |M|
|AMD K6-2/300 +   |We want to take over the world, but we don't have |a|

Amd-k6-2

Post by Eric Wurbe » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> What about Cyrix systems?

No problem at all.
I run a Cyrix 6x86L P200 with RedHat 5.2. It works fine

Eric

--
le dernier hbergeur gratuit (sans pub obligatoire...) frapp ==>
http://altern.org

Amd-k6-2

Post by Hubert CLEONI » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

Sorry but I miss the leading posting from this thread. Is it about K6-2 random
lockups under Linux? If so I am desesperately seeking a solution to this
problem. Lockups happen in console mode as well as under X (more often though).
I have a K6-2 350 + VIA MVP3 based motherboard with 1 M cache + 64M RAM + 10 Go
HD + Creative Blaster Banshee video card and I am running kernel 2.2.3 with the
Banshee server from Creative. Will upgrading to a newer kernel solve the
Problem. 2.2.3 claims to supports AMD K6-2. Please help me or I'm afriad I have
to get back to Windows.

> > What about Cyrix systems?

> No problem at all.
> I run a Cyrix 6x86L P200 with RedHat 5.2. It works fine

> Eric

> --
> le dernier hbergeur gratuit (sans pub obligatoire...) frapp ==>
> http://altern.org
> Eric Wurbel

Amd-k6-2

Post by Len Hupp » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

Linux does not lock up unless there is something drastically wrong with your
hardware and/or the configuration of your system.  I have a K6 machine that I use
to study computers at home and I have never been unable to run anything.  I have
installed all of the following on my K6:

        NT 4.0 Service Packs 1, 2, 3, & 4
        Debian/GNU Linux 1.3, 2.0, 2.1
        Linux kernel 1.2.13, 2.036, and now 2.2.7
        X86Solaris 2.6, 7
        BeOS  4
        FreeBSD 2.2.8, 3.1
        NetWare 3.12, 4.1
        OS/2 Warp 3, 4, 5 Beta

Need I say anything more?

> Sorry but I miss the leading posting from this thread. Is it about K6-2 random
> lockups under Linux? If so I am desesperately seeking a solution to this
> problem. Lockups happen in console mode as well as under X (more often though).
> I have a K6-2 350 + VIA MVP3 based motherboard with 1 M cache + 64M RAM + 10 Go
> HD + Creative Blaster Banshee video card and I am running kernel 2.2.3 with the
> Banshee server from Creative. Will upgrading to a newer kernel solve the
> Problem. 2.2.3 claims to supports AMD K6-2. Please help me or I'm afriad I have
> to get back to Windows.

> > > What about Cyrix systems?

> > No problem at all.
> > I run a Cyrix 6x86L P200 with RedHat 5.2. It works fine

> > Eric

> > --
> > le dernier hbergeur gratuit (sans pub obligatoire...) frapp ==>
> > http://altern.org
> > Eric Wurbel

Amd-k6-2

Post by Brien Sulliv » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

>Linux does not lock up unless there is something drastically wrong with your
>hardware and/or the configuration of your system.  I have a K6 machine that I use
>to study computers at home and I have never been unable to run anything.  I have
>installed all of the following on my K6:
>        NT 4.0 Service Packs 1, 2, 3, & 4
>        Debian/GNU Linux 1.3, 2.0, 2.1
>        Linux kernel 1.2.13, 2.036, and now 2.2.7
>        X86Solaris 2.6, 7
>        BeOS  4
>        FreeBSD 2.2.8, 3.1
>        NetWare 3.12, 4.1
>        OS/2 Warp 3, 4, 5 Beta
>Need I say anything more?

Probably not, but my new motherboard with a K6-2 doesn't
seem to like the OS's that were already installed. In Linux'
case it seems to have been the hdparm settings that munged it,
and some BIOS settings for DOS/Win3.11, but I'll have to reinstall
Win98 & WinNT. OS/2 was the only one that survived unscathed.
--
Brien

Amd-k6-2

Post by Ian Nicholl » Sun, 16 May 1999 04:00:00

>Sorry but I miss the leading posting from this thread. Is it about K6-2
random
>lockups under Linux? If so I am desesperately seeking a solution to this
>problem.

I too am having the same sort of problem, particularly with X.  I have had
Red Hat 5.2 with KDE 1.1 running fine using an AMD K6 233 Mhz processor.
This is on an AOpen AX59Pro motherboard using the VIA MVP3 chipset, 192Mb of
SDRAM, and the motherboard running at 66Mhz.  No problems at all.  I could
use the Creative Banshee card (Darryl Strauss's server) and Creative's
driver for the Sound Blaster Live sound card.

I then upgraded the processor to an AMD K6-3 400Mhz.  This was a mistake.
The Banshee X server usually crashes before it completes loading KDE, or
crashes as soon as I move the mouse.  The system does not exit the failed
server neatly, often leaving me with a blank screen, from which the only
exit is a reboot.  This doesn't exit Linux cleanly and I have to run fsck to
restore the filing system!

I have replaced the motherboard, tried PC100 SDRAM, bought a new heatsink
and fan, but it makes no difference.  Error messages often refer to
segmentation faults or "SIG 11".  Is there really a problem with the newer
AMD processors?  A solution, or even a believable explanation would be very
welcome.

The machine works fine with Windows 95!

Ian Nicholls

Amd-k6-2

Post by Matt » Sun, 16 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> > Sorry but I miss the leading posting from this thread. Is it about K6-2 random
> > lockups under Linux? If so I am desesperately seeking a solution to this

If you are overclocking then your memory timings are to 'hot' back them off.
If you are not overclocking, then get familiar with your BIOS as this is probably
where your troubles are.
I have just set up my sons new computer with a K6-2 (350 Mhz) overclocked to 392Mhz
and the memory at 112Mhz. It is completley stable in Win98 & Caldera 2.2. But I DID
have to tweak the BIOS else it would suffer random lockups.  Baring all this news.
You may want to have your memory checked if running 100Mhz FSB. Also, Seems like
most folks do not know how to apply heatsinks correctly. The K6 will shutdown on
overtemp, which it can acheive in an eyeblink under the right conditions.
Good Luck
Matt

Amd-k6-2

Post by Rod Roar » Mon, 17 May 1999 04:00:00

>I have replaced the motherboard, tried PC100 SDRAM, bought a new heatsink
>and fan, but it makes no difference.  Error messages often refer to
>segmentation faults or "SIG 11".  Is there really a problem with the newer
>AMD processors?  A solution, or even a believable explanation would be very
>welcome.

No but the one you have may very well be defective.  You should try
to find a way to swap it out at least for testing.  Another
possibility is the motherboard.

Quote:>The machine works fine with Windows 95!

Perhaps just silently corrupting your data.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

Amd-k6-2

Post by Matt Krenelk » Mon, 17 May 1999 04:00:00

I have had that error.
My problem was my disk drive cables. Windows covers up many of these types
of problems (Until you finally get a fat corruption error that is).
I also had it using cheap EIDE drives. It is hard to catch. If you have
DMA33 drives, I suggest you get the newer 80 pin cables (Required for DMA66
drives). There not expensive (about 9 bucks) and I can testify that they are
effective.
Good Luck.
Matt

> >I have replaced the motherboard, tried PC100 SDRAM, bought a new heatsink
> >and fan, but it makes no difference.  Error messages often refer to
> >segmentation faults or "SIG 11".  Is there really a problem with the
newer
> >AMD processors?  A solution, or even a believable explanation would be
very
> >welcome.

> No but the one you have may very well be defective.  You should try
> to find a way to swap it out at least for testing.  Another
> possibility is the motherboard.

> >The machine works fine with Windows 95!

> Perhaps just silently corrupting your data.

> -- Rod
> Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
> http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

1. Any advantages running AMD K6 vs. AMD K6-2 w/3DNow!

I've starting to build a new Linux box to replace my aging 486/33. I was
wondering if there were any advantages of choosing an AMD K6-2 w/3DNow! over
the older AMD K6? I won't be doing anything in 3D and the 100 MHz bus isn't
that important to me. Are there any other advantages, like if AMD improved
the FPU? Thanks!

--Dan

2. STREAMS Problems with 3Com 590

3. AMD K6-2 or K6-3

4. kernel ip_rcv

5. AMD K6-2 vs. K6-III

6. email Entropy, a game that'll keep your vi and your emacs smiling

7. AMD K6/K6-2, 3DNOW!, and MMX - where to start?

8. Imake-Problem

9. AMD k6-2 or k6-III

10. AMD K6 and K6-2

11. Overclocking an AMD-K6-2 400 MHz to 450MHz

12. AMD-K6-2: 586 or 686?

13. AMD-K6-2 chips and Linux