HP OfficeJet Series 500 driver?

Post by Sabine Wimme » Mon, 21 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I recently got an HP OfficeJet Model 500 (integrated
Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier) which I want to use not only under
Windows'95 but also as my default Linux printer.

The printer is basically DeskJet500C compatibel, but when accessed under
Linux the lp daemon always sees the printer "offline". There is
no possibility to set it "online" for printing from the its function
panel.

Is there any driver which works with HP OfficeJet Series printers?

Thx, Charly Wimmer

HP OfficeJet Series 500 driver?

Post by Robert Kiesli » Mon, 21 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I have an OfficeJet, too, (minus the scanner) and haven't had any of the
problems you describe.  When you turn the printer on, it should come on
line immediately.  I would guess that the problem has something to do with
the lpr daemon instead, or perhaps with the device driver file.  A way to
check that is to copy something... a text file, say, to the printer
device, bypassing the lpr daemon entirely.  It's just a diagnostic to
ensure that you have a working printer connection.

Another thing, strangely, is that my lpr daemon is set up for /dev/lp1,
not /dev/lp0, so that's worth checking, too.

When selecting printer drivers from software packages, the plain-vanilla
DeskJet drivers work just fine.

HTH

Robert

> I recently got an HP OfficeJet Model 500 (integrated
> Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier) which I want to use not only under
> Windows'95 but also as my default Linux printer.

> The printer is basically DeskJet500C compatibel, but when accessed under
> Linux the lp daemon always sees the printer "offline". There is
> no possibility to set it "online" for printing from the its function
> panel.

> Is there any driver which works with HP OfficeJet Series printers?

> Thx, Charly Wimmer

1. lpd config for HP OfficeJet 500?

I am running RH5.1 on a Dell Inspiron 3200 laptop and  have an HP
OfficeJet 500.  I can print ASCII directly to the port, but can't seem
to print through lpd.  Has anyone figured out how to do this or what
printer is a good approximation?

Thanks,
Rick Macchio

2. Disk suite and metaset

3. HP OfficeJet 500 supported?

4. GPL Like patents.

5. HP 400 / 500 series deskjet printers

6. Lost my XF86Config-4 - want it back

7. Drivers for digital 500 series?

8. ISCSI support on linux?

9. HP All-in-One --Scan function w/ Print Server for OfficeJet 7100 series

10. HP OfficeJet Pro 1170 Series All-in-One !!!

11. DVI drivers for HP Deskjet 500

12. New Web Page: Linux setup on Digital VP-567 & VP-500 series

13. Compaq Presario 500 series & RH5