SanDisk parallel ImageMate + Linux ?

Post by matt.robe.. » Sun, 27 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hello all!

I'm trying to get a SanDisk ImageMate flash card reader,
parallel port version, working under Linux, and having
little luck.

I know about the SanDisk USB reader that is supposed to work
with Linux, but I got the parallel one for compatibility
with an older non-USB W*nd*z* box.  It worked just fine with
that machine, but I'm having trouble with it on my Linux box.
I bought the reader about two weeks ago.

The reader specs (from the label) are:
SanDisk ImageMate
Part No. SDDR-01
Serial No. SD99114505426
Made in Taiwan
Approvals: VCCI, FCC, CE, (check mark) N532
Shuttle Connects

That last wording and logo made me hopeful.  I opened it up
(peel back the end of the sticker closest to the cord to
reveal one Philips-head screw) to find a small circuit board,
about 7cm x 6cm.  There is a 1.5 cm x 2 cm SMT chip labelled
SHUTTLE TECHNOLOGY EP1234-01 9927D .  The circuit board is
labelled WHALE-CFII  SCM Microsystems  Rev 3.1  AUG 1999 .
It has no "eject" button for the flash card; you just pull
it out with your fingers.

I have been trying to use the paride device drivers, since
they mention compatibility with the Shuttle chips used in
some parallel->IDE external devices.  I have tried both the
pd (IDE disk) and pf (ATAPI disk) drivers with no success.

The reader has two LEDs, a green "power" one and an orange
"activity" one.  When used with W*nd*z*, the orange one
blinks dimly at about 1 Hz whether a card is installed or
not.  When a flash card is put in, the orange one lights
up brightly for a moment, and a "SanDisk" drive icon appears
in Explorer.  When you are transferring data to or from the
flash card, the orange LED also lights brightly, just like
the "activity light" on a standard rotating-media IDE or
SCSI hard disk.

When the pd and pf drivers do their autoprobes at boot time,
I do get a bright orange light for a moment, but then the
drivers say they haven't found anything.  I have tried
manually forcing the drivers to use a specific port address
(0x378) and protocol (both EPAT and EPIA) with boot-time
paramaters, but I have had no luck.

I compiled the paride drivers into the kernel (2.2.12-20,
RedHat 6.1).  I also have the regular printer drivers, and
the Iomega PPA driver.  I have tried using the SanDisk
reader both with and without the Zip drive attached, which
doesn't make any difference.  When the Zip drive is
attached, the PPA driver does find it and uses 32-bit EPP
mode.  I have also successfully printed to an old dot-matrix
printer (Panasonic KXP-1123) through this port, so I think
the port hardware is OK.  I have used the SanDisk reader
on a W*nd*z* box both before and after trying it on my
Linux box, and it worked fine both times, so I don't think
the reader is faulty.

As I mentioned, I'm running RedHat 6.1, kernel 2.2.12-20.
I compiled the paride drivers into the kernel (I use very
few modules in my setup.)  Hardware is a Gateway 2000
Intel Aladdin motherboard, which used to have a P5-100,
but now has an Evergreen AMD K6-400 upgrade, including
the Evergreen-supplied MR BIOS.  I'm using the parallel
port on the motherboard, not an add-in card.  Other devices
in the system include an WD 1GB IDE hard disk, Mitsumi
4x IDE CD-ROM, Adaptec AHA1520 SCSI card with HP 2x
SCSI CD-ROM, Colorado floppy-tape drive, Sound Blaster 16
ISA, and ATI Mach64 PCI video.  The system has 64MB RAM.
All of these devices have been working fine...the only
change I've made is to add the SanDisk reader.

Has anyone gotten this device to work under Linux?  Am
I on the right track with the paride drivers or should
I use something else?

Any information or pointers would be very much appreciated.
Thanks!!

Matt Roberds
matt.roberds at worldnet.att.net