How Close is the Mobo temp to the CPU temp????

How Close is the Mobo temp to the CPU temp????

Post by Jae Il » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hey all,
    I own an Asus P2B and as much as i love it, it doesn't really have a
temperature sensor that tells me what it's exact temp is.  But i can read
the mobo temp.  Is there an usual ratio of the  temperatures of the mobo to
the CPU???  Better yet is there a program that can tell me the CPU temp on
than what's in the BIOS??  Thanks.  Also, I've heard of rumours of a
softmenu for the P2B.  IS thiS TRUE????  is there a new BIOS for the P2B
that's softmenu????  That would be great!  Thanks again.

--
-Jae Il "Joker" Ko
.

How Close is the Mobo temp to the CPU temp????

Post by Jan Alte » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
    I bought a P5A-B from Asus about 3 months ago that came with a program
called PC Probe on the utilities CD. It lets me see the fan rpm, CPU and M/B
temps in Windowss. I wouldn't  be surprised if there is such a  program for
the P2B.
Jan Alter

How Close is the Mobo temp to the CPU temp????

Post by Jack » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I use Motherboard Monitor to monitor the temperature. It's nice program. It
sits at system tray and display the temperature.
To monitor CPU temperature, you need the sensor.

Jack

Quote:> Hey all,
>     I own an Asus P2B and as much as i love it, it doesn't really have a
> temperature sensor that tells me what it's exact temp is.  But i can read
> the mobo temp.  Is there an usual ratio of the  temperatures of the mobo
> the CPU???  Better yet is there a program that can tell me the CPU temp on
> than what's in the BIOS??  Thanks.  Also, I've heard of rumours of a
> softmenu for the P2B.  IS thiS TRUE????  is there a new BIOS for the P2B
> that's softmenu????  That would be great!  Thanks again.

> --
> -Jae Il "Joker" Ko
> .
> .
> .

How Close is the Mobo temp to the CPU temp????

Post by John Hage » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Hey all,
>     I own an Asus P2B and as much as i love it, it doesn't really have a
> temperature sensor that tells me what it's exact temp is.  But i can read
> the mobo temp.  Is there an usual ratio of the  temperatures of the mobo to
> the CPU???  Better yet is there a program that can tell me the CPU temp on
> than what's in the BIOS??  Thanks.  Also, I've heard of rumours of a
> softmenu for the P2B.  IS thiS TRUE????  is there a new BIOS for the P2B
> that's softmenu????  That would be great!  Thanks again.

> --
> -Jae Il "Joker" Ko
> .
> .
> .

Hi,

Please don't cross-post so much (if at all).

Read the following if you have the time to check this NG after checking all the
others you posted to:

I have a recent P5A and know that you should be able to see the temps w/ the
program on the disk that came w/ the mobo (you do still have it, don't you?).
This requires a Windoze boot to use the Wincentric s/w on the CD.

OTW, reboot and check the 'Power Management' paramaters in the BIOS setup.

PPS. Hey, is this Motherboard Monitor a Linux program? If not, it's off-topic.
:-)

PPPS. WTF is a softmenu???

HTH,

--

=============================

How Close is the Mobo temp to the CPU temp????

Post by John.Harri.. » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I have a P2B-F with the same setup , but I have hooked up an Asus
thermistor probe to JTCPU jumper and taped it to the top of my celeron
heat sink - it reads about 12 C higher than the motherboard sensor,
using PCProbe, Hmonitor, or Motherboard Monitor.
None of these will read the on-chip CPU diode that is supposed to
exist.......

On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 03:29:12 -0400, "Jae Il \"Joker\" Ko"

>Hey all,
>    I own an Asus P2B and as much as i love it, it doesn't really have a
>temperature sensor that tells me what it's exact temp is.  But i can read
>the mobo temp.  Is there an usual ratio of the  temperatures of the mobo to
>the CPU???  Better yet is there a program that can tell me the CPU temp on
>than what's in the BIOS??  Thanks.  Also, I've heard of rumours of a
>softmenu for the P2B.  IS thiS TRUE????  is there a new BIOS for the P2B
>that's softmenu????  That would be great!  Thanks again.

>--
>-Jae Il "Joker" Ko
>.
>.
>.

How Close is the Mobo temp to the CPU temp????

Post by ron_butchar » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I also get about 14 C differential between the MB sensor and the external
one mounted to  my PIII Heastsink.

                                                                    Ron

> I have a P2B-F with the same setup , but I have hooked up an Asus
> thermistor probe to JTCPU jumper and taped it to the top of my celeron
> heat sink - it reads about 12 C higher than the motherboard sensor,
> using PCProbe, Hmonitor, or Motherboard Monitor.
> None of these will read the on-chip CPU diode that is supposed to
> exist.......

> On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 03:29:12 -0400, "Jae Il \"Joker\" Ko"

> >Hey all,
> >    I own an Asus P2B and as much as i love it, it doesn't really have a
> >temperature sensor that tells me what it's exact temp is.  But i can read
> >the mobo temp.  Is there an usual ratio of the  temperatures of the mobo
> >the CPU???  Better yet is there a program that can tell me the CPU temp
on
> >than what's in the BIOS??  Thanks.  Also, I've heard of rumours of a
> >softmenu for the P2B.  IS thiS TRUE????  is there a new BIOS for the P2B
> >that's softmenu????  That would be great!  Thanks again.

> >--
> >-Jae Il "Joker" Ko
> >.
> >.
> >.

How Close is the Mobo temp to the CPU temp????

Post by Tim Moor » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>     I own an Asus P2B and as much as i love it, it doesn't really have a
> temperature sensor that tells me what it's exact temp is.  But i can read
> the mobo temp.  Is there an usual ratio of the  temperatures of the mobo to
> the CPU???

First, try not cross-posting to so many groups.

The P2B and others have one or two connectors for a thermistor-based
temperature sensor.  If you have a sensor, the BIOS will readout
temperature.  Accuracy depends on how close you can get it to the actual
CPU cover.  MB temp is gathered by a sensor and its reading depends on
internal air circulation and exhaust rate.  My setup happens to range
from +8C to +12C above MB on average.

Quote:> Better yet is there a program that can tell me the CPU temp on
> than what's in the BIOS??

Comes on the CD.

Quote:> Thanks.  Also, I've heard of rumours of a

P3B series.  www.asus.com.tw
--
direct replies substitute timothymoore for user name

"Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
                                   WS Burroughs.

How Close is the Mobo temp to the CPU temp????

Post by Suleyman Karabu » Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I think it all depends where your mobo temp sensor is located. In my ZM6 it
is located very near to the ZX chipset and the AGP slot which hosts a
Voodoo3. Since these are the most significant heat sources after the CPU, my
mobo temp reads about 5-6 C degree cooler than the cpu temp. However, when I
disable the fan on my Voodoo3 the system temp catches the cpu temp.

Quote:> Hey all,
>     I own an Asus P2B and as much as i love it, it doesn't really have a
> temperature sensor that tells me what it's exact temp is.  But i can read
> the mobo temp.  Is there an usual ratio of the  temperatures of the mobo
> the CPU???  Better yet is there a program that can tell me the CPU temp on
> than what's in the BIOS??  Thanks.  Also, I've heard of rumours of a
> softmenu for the P2B.  IS thiS TRUE????  is there a new BIOS for the P2B
> that's softmenu????  That would be great!  Thanks again.

> --
> -Jae Il "Joker" Ko
> .
> .
> .

How Close is the Mobo temp to the CPU temp????

Post by Ron Kelle » Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:00:00

What I have found worked very well was getting an indoor/outdoor thermometer
from the SHACK. The indoor reads ambient room temp and place the probe for
the outdoor reading into the fins of the heatsink against the plate which
contacts the CPU. Great way to establish comparisons between enviromental

cpu operates at 5.5 degrees F above room temp.
When they are on sale, they are usually less than $20, and they run forever
on a couple AAA batteries, and the info is always right in front of you, no
need to query the BIOs or have a program running in the background.

How Close is the Mobo temp to the CPU temp????

Post by Alle » Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:00:00

        Look in the automotive gadget section of the nearest K-Mart too
(or Wal-Mart?).  Their normal price for such is about $10,  with temp
ranges that are -50 F to 158 F.

>What I have found worked very well was getting an indoor/outdoor thermometer
>from the SHACK. The indoor reads ambient room temp and place the probe for
>the outdoor reading into the fins of the heatsink against the plate which
>contacts the CPU. Great way to establish comparisons between enviromental

>cpu operates at 5.5 degrees F above room temp.
>When they are on sale, they are usually less than $20, and they run forever
>on a couple AAA batteries, and the info is always right in front of you, no
>need to query the BIOs or have a program running in the background.

Allen

(email addy; user ID portion has a numeral one in place of word
onespoiler, and of course, delete the bogus secondary domain of nospam.)
PC/hardware Guru, and Linux Newbie

Post by Ian Stirlin » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>    Look in the automotive gadget section of the nearest K-Mart too
>(or Wal-Mart?).  Their normal price for such is about $10,  with temp
>ranges that are -50 F to 158 F.

But getting an accurate measure of CPU temperature is hard to do.
You need to at least drill a hole through the heatsink, to the CPU, to
get a reasonably accurate figure.

Post by admi » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>What I have found worked very well was getting an indoor/outdoor thermometer
>from the SHACK. The indoor reads ambient room temp and place the probe for
>the outdoor reading into the fins of the heatsink against the plate which
>contacts the CPU. Great way to establish comparisons between enviromental

>cpu operates at 5.5 degrees F above room temp.
>When they are on sale, they are usually less than $20, and they run forever
>on a couple AAA batteries, and the info is always right in front of you, no
>need to query the BIOs or have a program running in the background.

Yes Ive got one stuck to the heatsink on my overclocked P166 Im getting
46 C on hot sunny days in the UK.
Steve
--
admin

Post by Billy Donahu » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Usually a 5 to 6 degree difference on my system...
> 550 Mhz ABit BX6 Ver.2

>   --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  [Image]

Hey!  No binaries!!!
Why the hell couldn't you just copy those numbers and posted them?
Are you so proud of your silly "waterfall" program?

Post by Phi » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>What I have found worked very well was getting an indoor/outdoor thermometer
>from the SHACK. The indoor reads ambient room temp and place the probe for
>the outdoor reading into the fins of the heatsink against the plate which
>contacts the CPU. Great way to establish comparisons between enviromental

>cpu operates at 5.5 degrees F above room temp.
>When they are on sale, they are usually less than $20, and they run forever
>on a couple AAA batteries, and the info is always right in front of you, no

Can you mount the display on the front of your case?  ... in a drive
bay?

Quote:>need to query the BIOs or have a program running in the background.

Have you compared the readouts of the RS thermometer against BIOS
readings or a background program?

Phil Burton - Palo Alto,CA USA

How Close is the Mobo temp to the CPU temp????

Post by Ginfes » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Checking temps, with RS probe between HS and PCB, touching top of slug,
about 10F lower than BIOS reading of CPU internal temp diode, at all
ambient, at rest and under load.

>>What I have found worked very well was getting an indoor/outdoor
thermometer
>>from the SHACK. The indoor reads ambient room temp and place the probe for
>>the outdoor reading into the fins of the heatsink against the plate which
>>contacts the CPU. Great way to establish comparisons between enviromental

my